Investing and Spirituality

for me the spirituality concept is more a case of being honest with myself - and this can only happen when my inner voices are all quiet (yes, there is many more than one). it is more like a brief meditation to ensure that i am thinking with my mind instead of my heart - although the gut instinct has a very good habit of being right.

i believe that for many, that is what prayer actually does - centres oneself for calm reflection. being honest with oneself.

i use the reflection/meditation in moments when i stand in the middle of a property after doing all the due diligance and calmly ask myself "do i really want this property?" surprisingly enough the answer is often "no" but it is very exciting when i feel "yes" and a yes hasn't let me down yet.

i hope that makes sense ...

I think it is unfortunate that religion has got such a bad rap in the last 50 years. On the whole, I think many religious groups do a lot of good, which is ignored by the media due to religion being uncool. All the focus these days is on paedophilic priests and intolerant fundamentalists. Meanwhile, more and more of us are insisting our kids have a private school education where solid Christian values and discipline are paramount.

And I am yet to see a group of atheists do as much charitable work as the Salvation Army.

I think it is better that people at least try and stand for something rather than nothing, or everything. I see so many people who get into serious difficulties in life, and have no sense of orientation, or foundation upon which to find hope to move forwards with courage.

Until one loses all support from the world and money, they aren't likely to know the value of a faith in something bigger than their ego/intellect. Life has many ways to throw humble pie at us, and my attitude is that it is better to have a strategy to deal with that than not.

I have seen many adolescents and adults saved from suicide by religion. And I have seen several adolescents end it all because they believed in nothing.

How does all that relate to investment???? Well, to me, at the end of the day, I am not investing solely for my benefit. When thinking of investment, I contemplate where resources are most needed for the greatest good. After I have gathered some ideas together for investment, I meditate on them, and seek guidance from within. Eventually I get a green light or red light feeling. Whether that is from a God, or just a calmer broader sense of good will within me, is debatable.

That's what works for me.

Carolyn said:
I hesitated for a moment before responding to this thread. Always such a touchy subject.
I think Religion is often confused with Spriituality in our society.

I mentioned Bill Zheng's course in the orginal thread by "Corsa" and it is exactly related to some issues that have been raised here.

What are your inner motivations, what you dwell on in your mind is who you are, meditation to receive what outcomes you want.. and other very left field things. Definitely have to be ready for this journey - not for everyone.

I don't believe that I am a religious person. But I do believe that our will's, subconscious and our "energy" that we put out daily effect the life that we do and can have.

Just my beliefs , and definitely am an advocate of each to his own. But I do think it's funny that civilisations that have exsisted for so many thousands of year all seem to follow a similar train of thought.

I agree 101%. Spirituality and religion aren't necessarilly one and the same. I'm not a spiritual person but I don't consider myself religious.

Dear All,

1. I wonder if members has similar equally fascinating property investing experiences as I have experienced to date.

2. Some time in June 2003, I was in Cairns to do my own research and to invest there. From my own research and HTW's research studies, Cairns was then in 9-10 o' clock rising market and I reckon intuitively by my own understanding of the operation of the property cycle within the Cairns Property Market, we could then see the property about to surge strongly till the end of 2004. We knew that we could make some monies investing in the Cairns property market in July 2003 and exiting out from the same market before December 2004.

3. My brother-in-laws and I tried to invest into the Cairns property market but for one reason or the other, the deals simply could not proceed on successfully. This was despite that we already have our loan pre-approvals in place, from Westpac Bank before we proceed to sign the agreement to purchase property....However and strangely enough, all the deals simply fallen through because of the some banking system related problems. We tried to do some new deals through St. George Bank, again it was not successful, for one reasons or other.

4. On the other hand, we have no problems investing into the Perth property market during the same period of time.

5. Why is this so? I cannot explain it myself;- other than to believe that there is some sort of a Divine intervention involved (and probably also some spiritual lessons for me to uncover and to learn for myself too).

6. Likewise, when I was trying to sell off one of my Perth properties at the beginning of this year, somehow, I intuitively knew beforehand that the house which was meant to be sold off eventually, was my third new IP house at Lot 1664, 15 FitzGibbon Road, which was then under construction.

7. I tried putting my first IP house for sale in Jan 2005 but failed to achieve a successful sale. Then I tried putting my second IP house for sale at $10,000 below its bank valuation price for sale too in May-June 2005 period as a motivated vendor, again, I was also not successful then. Somehow, I also come to learn intuitively and to believe that every house will have its own rightful owner at the appointed time, if God be willing.

7. My third IP house was then still under construction and somehow at the very last minute during last week of June 2005, I manage to get an overseas buyer to buy off this property off-the-plan at the previously pre-determined house price of A$370,000, not a cent more or a cent less and with a long settlement date, which seems to fall in nicely, with my own plans.

8. Consequently, I got to keep back my first 2 IPs houses.

9. And interestingly enough, after I have inked the sale agreement to sell off my third IP houses, then "out of the blue", I start to have potential buyers proactively chasing after me (while I was then in Melbourne) to purchase my second IP houses in July-August 2005 period, despite no sale advertisement was made.

10. So for me, the property investing game has indeed been a highly fascinating and exciting journey of learning to trust God and living by faith in His Providence. What I have learnt from my own humble experiences is that Man can plan what he wants to but ultimately it is God who will it and make things happens in our lives.

11. So for me, property investing itself has been some sort of a spiritual experiences of learning to trust our Divine God!

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Kenneth, I know a lot of very poor Christians who also believe they should trust in God, and not do anything off their own bat, to help themselves. There's got to be a balance in there about relying on Divine Providence.

Further, I wonder whether you see a problem, as an investor, with driving the price of housing up, and making it more difficult for first home buyers to get into the market.

thefirstbruce said:
Kenneth, I know a lot of very poor Christians who also believe they should trust in God, and not do anything off their own bat, to help themselves. There's got to be a balance in there about relying on Divine Providence.

Further, I wonder whether you see a problem, as an investor, with driving the price of housing up, and making it more difficult for first home buyers to get into the market.
Dear theFirstBruce,

1. "Trust and obey", that's the key to our Christian faith.

2. Does that mean that all Christians should invest in property then? Personally, I believe that God works in a miraculous way, in His Providence.
To each his/her own, according to his/her respective calling in life by God.

3. I agree with you about having a balanced view on God's Providence. But then, what exactly does this entails?... Only the affected individual will know if he has sincerely and honestly been obeying God in his/her own llife ... or been listening to his/her own human fears and greed desires instead.

4. In this respect, I am still learning to understand God's Will and learning to obey Him as faithfully I can as He has enabled me to, by His own Grace, from the way He is teaching me in my own life.

5. You ask me, "whether you see a problem, as an investor, with driving the price of housing up, and making it more difficult for first home buyers to get into the market.".... What exactly are you trying to say with your statement? And what exactly is your underlying concerns and beliefs behind this statement, please? Is there a biblical basis that I should take note of, as a Christian?

6. Looking forward to your kind clarifications and learning from you, please.

7. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Kennethkohsg said:

5. You ask me, "whether you see a problem, as an investor, with driving the price of housing up, and making it more difficult for first home buyers to get into the market.".... What exactly are you trying to say with your statement? And what exactly is your underlying concerns and beliefs behind this statement, please? Is there a biblical basis that I should take note of, as a Christian?

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Kenneth, it is well known that the last boom was driven by a massive increase in investor activity, not by owner occupiers. A boom is when there are more buyers around than sellers. That drives prices up. First home buyers get frozen out of the market because they have to go back and save a bigger deposit for a few years, or maybe 10. If you think about it, this can have serious repercussions, like delaying the young from starting families, or deciding not to have children at all.

If you haven't thought about these things before, then that's fine. God didn't want them clouding your investment decisions.

However, recently, even Bernie Fraser has become sensitive to the social problems of freezing the young out of the property market.

salsa said:
I am sort of with Mark L on this.

One interesting thing I have noticed and not sure how to explain it, is that for me, whenener my investment decision was purely money driven, the performance was just OK, but nothing special.
However for those investments where the decisions were not just to make money but to also help someone, or for reasons other than making money (kind ones of course) , they (the invetments) somehow became big winners.....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear Salsa,

1. Well said.

2. I have similar experiences myself and I do observe similar things happening to some of the investors around me in their real lives too, to a certain extent.

3. I believe that this is some sort of a spiritual principle governing the "mysterious" nature/operation of money:- where monies is being circulated for a good cause, it will return many folds back to its own rightful owners.

4. For your kind update, please.

5. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

thefirstbruce said:
Kenneth, it is well known that the last boom was driven by a massive increase in investor activity, not by owner occupiers. A boom is when there are more buyers around than sellers. That drives prices up. First home buyers get frozen out of the market because they have to go back and save a bigger deposit for a few years, or maybe 10. If you think about it, this can have serious repercussions, like delaying the young from starting families, or deciding not to have children at all.

If you haven't thought about these things before, then that's fine. God didn't want them clouding your investment decisions.

However, recently, even Bernie Fraser has become sensitive to the social problems of freezing the young out of the property market.
Dear thefirstbruce,

1. I can understand if some young Australians are getting frustrated and sensitive about being priced out from some of the more expensive property markets.

2. However, to blame all the investors in general, for such plight as faced by the young Australians, is totally a different thing, altogether. (We should be looking at problem-solving instead of "blaming" someone.)

3. It's like deliberately failing to understand the underlying operation of the human greed and fears and herd mentality, driving the market forces of supply and demand and house pricings in the Australian property markets.

4. If we examine it at the vary basica fundamental level, the people who are likely to get hurt are the very people who are ignorant of themselves or/and ignorant of the property market operations. Perhaps, it's time for them to realise the importance of such life education and to realise that this is another important aspect of life in a modern society.

5... Would you not have confidence in your own Australian Govt that they are still actively managing the situation well under its own control.

6.... Imagine the repercussions, if the investors' monies were to start leaving Australia for some overseas markets instead? Would Australians'welfare be better off and better served, as a result?... I am not sure if this will indeed be so!

7. In Singapore, the property market is almost "dead" - no market "pulse" so to speak;- as a result of lack of sufficient incentives for new investors to take the risks and as a result of the tight-control over the property market by the Singapore Govt. Many Singaporeans are now living with negative house equity presently, some 40% below their market peak in 1996. Yet the young Singaporeans also got priced out from their 1st home because of their falling wages and high housing costs too. So, is this really what you want for Australia too?

8. Likewise, Russia and China have similarly tried closing their doors before, to their own detriment. Now the 2 Communist Govt have also realised that they have to open up its economy to the global markets since 1990s.

9. I am wondering where you see God is, given the present situation and given your present line of thinking. To me, God is well in control of this situation. So is the Australian Govt, I believe.

10. It is indeed sad for a society when people decide not to have babies simply because it is "too expensive". In the longer term, can the Australian society truly afford this declining birth rate trend?... This is one important issue which govt in many developed countries are all trying to address, given the modernisation trend and change in the woman roles. To me, your Australian Govt has done well to a certain extent by encouraging skilled migration, beside trying to boost its local fertility rate with all kind of pro-family incentives and care arrangement.

11. For your kind update, please.

12. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

geoffw said:
For me, it wasn't anything about religion directly- it was more that my upbringing made me feel uneasy about wealth building. It was OK to go and get a good job and work hard (protestant work ethic)- but accumulation of wealth was not quite right.
Dear Geoffw,

1. Interesting.

2. However, what's wrong with wealth accumulation from your perspective and upbringing? What's exactly are you "uneasy" with?

3. Looking forward to learning from you, please.

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

thefirstbruce said:

tfb

this is a really interesting issue - and I think it is an ethical question we should all think about, including people of faith but no only them. Most investers, even the nonreligious ones wouldn't like to think of themselves as cold darwinists.

Some extra ponderings on the topic of creating booms that make it harder for poeple to buy ppors as an ethical dilemma

1 - If I only ever buy in a slump, am I hurting anyone?

2 - If no investors bought, there would be a shortage of rentals and rentals would go up, what would that do to the first home buyers wanting to breed? (I am one)

3 - Is one person buying 1 or a couple of ips really going to effect the price of a town/suburb/nation?

4 - given the above question, should we think of ourselves as individuals or a collective force?

5 - should first home buyers be able to buy a home near work/family etc as a right? or is this a privelage, choice etc (eg for me to buy any freehold dump with a backyard near my family would 500k - is that unfair?)

Keen to hear more on this

Depends if you outbid a first home buyer I suppose. You could argue you are competing against the younger buyer to provide for your own retirement. They could argue that if they have to pay more for a house, then they will delay having kids, and you won't have anyone providing services to you when you are older, unless we start importing labour from Asia. I am not a raging leftie, but I do accept that self interest cannot be pursued without consideration of its affects on others. And I feel these effects are unhealthily ignored on this forum.

Whether you hurt anyone also depends on whether you sell at the top of a boom, in the knowledge that prices may come down. Obviously your buyer is going to take a loss in that situation. You might ask yourself whether you would sell to your young nephew at the top of a boom for market value.

2 - If no investors bought, there would be a shortage of rentals and rentals would go up, what would that do to the first home buyers wanting to breed? (I am one)

It is always easy to dumb down an issue by referring to the extremes of it. This is as naive as saying drinking 10 litres of water in an hour can kill you, therefore drinking any water is bad for you. The recent property boom was fueled by an extraordinary increase in PI. Previous to this, rental demand/supply was in reasonable balance.

3 - Is one person buying 1 or a couple of ips really going to effect the price of a town/suburb/nation?

One person doesn't cause a boom like the last one we had. So this question is irrelevant.

4 - given the above question, should we think of ourselves as individuals or a collective force?

And that's the beginning of wisdom.

5 - should first home buyers be able to buy a home near work/family etc as a right? or is this a privelage, choice etc (eg for me to buy any freehold dump with a backyard near my family would 500k - is that unfair?)

Fair/unfair.....at the end of the day, we get the society we allow to unfold. Is it fair that the strong suppress the weak? Will it be fair when we have an economic downturn and people start getting laid off work and have to firesale their $500k house for $380k.

I have learnt not to expect fairness in life, but to try to do all I can to create it, being guided from within. If we all start not giving a toss about the next guy, we will quickly live in a hell on earth. It is trust and honour and integrity that allowed modern civilization to develop and be sustained. Lose that and it won't matter how much property you have because you won't keep it for long.

sounds like you have a real problem with the ethics of r/e investing. How do you sleep at night? Or ar you just playing devils advocate?

knightm said:
sounds like you have a real problem with the ethics of r/e investing. How do you sleep at night? Or ar you just playing devils advocate?

Just looking for a win/win. And to invest in its true sense. Buying IPs and passively waiting for a stack of others slower off the mark to come along and drive prices up doesn't quite cut it as smart investing to me, certainly not the smartest thing for the country as a whole.

If Australians invested the money they do in property into efficient business, then I believe we'd be better off as a nation. However, the tax laws don't favour that currently. But my guess is negative gearing advantages for IPs won't be around in present form for much longer.

nice one

Excellent sentiments Bruce.

What is apparent is that you have given thought to these issues even though you/we dont have all the answers.

Noone has all the answers, and any decision made will have consequences, good and bad - and thats the truth. Thats all we have even when investing. Sometimes its the motivation and not the transaction that counts....

So invest with goodwill and honesty and then trust in the process......hang on - isnt that called 'faith'.............

They are inseparable imho.......any attempt to seperate them causes a distortion and even though you may think you win, without an overall ethical element to your investing the chances are is that someone is losing, whether that be someone else or even yourself (without yu even knowing it)

gets back to win/win as alluded to b4..

Agree tfb that buying low and selling high is just long term trading - and not investment in the truest sense.

Re: winwin For me where the rubber hits the road is how I treat the people I am directly effecting. So I dont like kicking out tenants just to renno - would prefer to buy a prop thats already vacant or work with the tenants so we are all happy. Also have had tenant applications with tica histories etc. Have taken a chance on them and they paid the rent fine - they were gratefull to be able to clear their name.

Small things I know but like you just looking for ways to do things with a sense of ethics.

I am open to big picture ethical discussions too, but for something like property investment its built into the capitalist system of private ownership and trade.

to critique ip investing as right or wrong simplistically is useless as it needs to be considered in context.

maybe a better question is "Is it ethical to use money to earn more money?" Coz at the end of the day thats what all investing is - using capital instead of sweat and time to make money.

knightm said:
tfb

this is a really interesting issue - and I think it is an ethical question we should all think about, including people of faith but no only them. Most investers, even the nonreligious ones wouldn't like to think of themselves as cold darwinists.

Some extra ponderings on the topic of creating booms that make it harder for poeple to buy ppors as an ethical dilemma

Keen to hear more on this
Dear Knightm,

1. Australia is a much blessed country and has plentiful of land supply, as compared to Singapore, whose 4 million people are squatting at the truly land-scarce, small little red dot.

2. I think the real bottomline issue is one of lifestyle choices and affordable housing and our own attitude towards living preferences.

3. As most Australians choose to live exclusively only in certain ("seemingly" more desirable) areas and choose to compete with one another for the so-called limited land area, it is a matter of time, where some Australians, who are entering the same market late, will eventually be priced out of their 1st home, at one time or the other.

4. Today, living in Sydney CDB area is expensive and not readily affordable to most young Australians.

5. However, if the abovementioned social phenomenon continues, it is a question of time when living in the Melbourne CBD area and eventually all the other Australian capital cities ( and even the future new cities/towns) will eventually become unaffordable too over time.

6. On the other hand, if we choose to live within our means and to live in the more affordable areas ahead of its future booming times, we are unlikely to be priced out as long as we are prepared to adapt and live in the seemingly "less desirable" places in Australia, which may one day turn out to be one of the new big winners in the near future.

7. So, if we are pragmatic, we may start off as renting a house to live in. At certain time in life, we would be able to upgrade ourselves as a house owner eventually, given the Australian great dream and aspirations as long as we can remain productively employed. People who rent a house to stay, is not neccessarily "poor" as other thread discussions have shown.

8. I can safely and comfortably make this claim for Australia and for Singapore where some form of demorcracies exists. However, such opportunities may not be so readily available in certain societies.

9. For your kind update and further discussion ,please.

10. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
knightm said:
Re: winwin For me where the rubber hits the road is how I treat the people I am directly effecting. So I dont like kicking out tenants just to renno - would prefer to buy a prop thats already vacant or work with the tenants so we are all happy. Also have had tenant applications with tica histories etc. Have taken a chance on them and they paid the rent fine - they were gratefull to be able to clear their name.

Small things I know but like you just looking for ways to do things with a sense of ethics.

I am open to big picture ethical discussions too, but for something like property investment its built into the capitalist system of private ownership and trade.

to critique ip investing as right or wrong simplistically is useless as it needs to be considered in context.

maybe a better question is "Is it ethical to use money to earn more money?" Coz at the end of the day thats what all investing is - using capital instead of sweat and time to make money.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Dear KnightM,

1. Well said... in particular "to critique ip investing as right or wrong simplistically is useless as it needs to be considered in context."

2. To answer your question, "Is it ethical to use money to earn more money?" Coz at the end of the day thats what all investing is - using capital instead of sweat and time to make money" - since Australia ( and Singapore) are basically shares the same free entreprises and capitalist system, I would think that the answer will be self-evident unless we first try define the word, "ethical" and find some basic common ground in its definition and its present inherent "ethical" dilemma faced by some individual investors living a such a society, whereby they face some form of inner (self-)conflicts between their personal life values/beliefs vis-a-vis some of the existing social values or human behavioural/thinking norms and trends with the wider Australian society.

3. For your kind update, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

thefirstbruce said:

Depends if you outbid a first home buyer I suppose. You could argue you are competing against the younger buyer to provide for your own retirement. They could argue that if they have to pay more for a house, then they will delay having kids, and you won't have anyone providing services to you when you are older, unless we start importing labour from Asia. I am not a raging leftie, but I do accept that self interest cannot be pursued without consideration of its affects on others. And I feel these effects are unhealthily ignored on this forum.

Whether you hurt anyone also depends on whether you sell at the top of a boom, in the knowledge that prices may come down. Obviously your buyer is going to take a loss in that situation. You might ask yourself whether you would sell to your young nephew at the top of a boom for market value.

QUOTE]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Dear theFirstbruce,

1. Interesting reply indeed.

2. You said, "I do accept that self interest cannot be pursued without consideration of its affects on others. And I feel these effects are unhealthily ignored on this forum."

3. While I can and will like to agree with your statement to a certain extent, I am also sure that some forum members will also argue and point out that "Wealth Creation" and "Ethics" to not truly mix well. i.e would we, as investors, rather be "right/fair", rather than be "rich" in our property investing activities?

4. While some investors can be both rich and right/fair at the same time, others may not. Nor do they believe in such kind of thinking/life philosophy, as illustrated by the exchange of views/words between the highly vocal Neil Jenman and his own critics.

5. You said, "Whether you hurt anyone also depends on whether you sell at the top of a boom, in the knowledge that prices may come down. Obviously your buyer is going to take a loss in that situation."...Sometimes we can be right about our own market assessement/prediction and some times we are proven wrong by the actual reality in the real time market developments.

6. Likewise, I think that a wise/resonable buyer should do his/her own basic research and due diligence first before investing. To me, this is basic self-responsibility and choosing to invest safely and wisely.

7. To invest without doing proper research and due diligence first, is like intentionally choosing/opting to be the (lazy) big fool who has willingly "asked" himself/herself, to buy the house at the market peak price.

8. Should the vendor then, be held responsible for the buyer's laziness and mistake in this case?.. I do not think so, honestly speaking.

9. You says, "You might ask yourself whether you would sell to your young nephew at the top of a boom for market value." To me, I will reply you as such, "... provided my nephew chooses/bothers to ask me in the first place;-, otherwise how am I to know that he is going to buy the house and at such a time as the market peak ? And/OR even IF I have wisely/proactively cautioned him, does he really bothers to listen to his own uncle's words vis-a-vis what he has heard from some of the so-called "gurus" in the market.". It's is his own choice and responsibility when he makes the decision himself and he will learn to "grow" up himself eventually and learn who to listen to and who not to listen to.

10. While I subscribe to your principle of "do to others what I would want others to do to ourselves", however, IF some people intentionally choose to remain ignorant and choose to remain un-educated about the property investing game intentionally, are we then, to be truly blamed for their deliberate ignorance?

11.... And if we proceed to pro-actively "preach" such ethics/teachings to them, we may also be openly accused of trying to impose our (Christian) views/ethics on them. So, what leave us then?

12. For your kind update and further discussion, please.

13. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
thefirstbruce said:

One person doesn't cause a boom like the last one we had. So this question is irrelevant.

QUOTE]
Dear theFirstBruce,

1. From your own a/m answer, it is clear that you are fully aware and knows for a fact that one single investor does not cause the property boom/bust;- (rather it's the collective works of the herd instincts that collectively drives the market;-), yet you had still chosen to ask me the same question by implications;- if I am troubled and responsible for (indirectly) causing/contributing to the problem of seeing young Australians to be priced out from their housing, as an investor?"

2. So, I am not sure what exactly are you trying to say in your original question? ..." that as good Christians/people, we should not invest in property?"

3. Please clarify your questions and its underlying thinking?

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back