Investing for Cap Growth or Income?

Well, in some ways I could have used the terms "Negative Gearing" and "Positive Gearing" in the title and people would probably roll their eyeballs and say "Oh no, not again".

In the stockmarket there is the concept of value stocks and growth stocks. I believe this generally refers to stocks that, respectively, offer good dividends (yield) or good capital growth. Just like the property market, it seems there is a relationship between yields and capital growth.

Interestingly, people make money out of the stock market using both forms of investing, which to my mind partly reinforces the fact that negative gearing is not necessarily an altogether bad thing, since negative gearing is essentially investing for cap growth.

I did, however, want to broach this subject perhaps in its more direct form concerning investing for income or cap growth, in the hope that by "side-stepping" the "gearing terms", something useful might come out of the discussion.

I guess the angle I'm particularly interested in is that, over a long term time frame, is it capital growth or income that has the greatest potential to make you money.

Does anyone believe one group (the value investors or the growth investors) conclusively comes out ahead.

Or should we pay heed to say Jan Somer's advice which suggests (going from memory) that the overall property return will typically be 17% regardless of the growth/yield split?

Kevin.

Originally posted by Kevmeister

I guess the angle I'm particularly interested in is that, over a long term time frame, is it capital growth or income that has the greatest potential to make you money.

Does anyone believe one group (the value investors or the growth investors) conclusively comes out ahead.

Hi Kevin,

It's my firm belief that Structured Gearing is the most effective strategy.

Structured Gearing involves using an evolving mix of Cashflow Positive properties to support a smaller stable of Growth Stars.

Used effectively, it manages serviceability issues, and lessens the impact of interest rate rises.

Regards,

Duncan

Hi all,

My thoughts on the positive or negitive cash flow question (for what it's worth!)

My belief is that the recent interest by the general public in realestate may suggest that the property cycle is nearing its peak or just over. Therefore my strategy will be to hold off buying properties with a view of 'buying for capital growth' for a little while.

My current plan is to buy property that will create a positive cash flow over the next 3?? years and then purchase properties with a 'capital gain' view with the income derived from the positive cash flow properties.

A point of interest: I was talking to a rural loan manager who worked with NAB and his belief was that a number of farms around our area outperformed many city area from a capital gain prospective... obviously the cash flow side of farming is different to renting out a house.

Thanks

I would suggest going for growth in the early days, as your borrowing limit will be determined by security. Then once you have built up sufficient security you may wish to begin tailoring additional properties for yield.

I'm interested to hear what others think about this option.

Kind regards

Flex

Hi,

This arguement assumes you can't have growth and cashflow. Good growth and cash positive returns are not mutually exclusive. Admittedly it is more difficult at the moment in Sydney and Melbourne growth areas, but this will change in the future.

If you want both timing is the key, which is why I am sitting it out at the moment - even in Canberra where I am a legend in my own lunch box! I will only invest in a property in an historically high growth area IF it is cashflow neutral or better. 12 months ago this was still possible in both Syd and Melb but is much tougher now. I usually have to add value to most properties either by a reno or creating multiple income streams or some other value adding technique to get the rent returns required.

I agree with Jan's summation (assuming no value adding) however some people eat their cashflow in the early days and then have little capital growth to leverage off. Also the average total yields for an area can always be bettered particularly rental yields with something like a reno. If the reno is done right it gives better growth (on the improved value), better rents, better depriciation, lower vacancies and a host of other benefits which blows the averages away.

regards, Michael Croft

Back