Investment - Perth

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first investment property in Perth. I have been looking at few suburbs. My strategy is to have capital growth.

I like canning vale, success and have been looking at house and land packages in banjup. I also looked at East Cannington/Cannington area. The properties i looked at are 4X2 houses around 550k.

I am leaning more towards success\banjup. Can you please give your thoughts on this. Also should I consider a option of villa\unit of less price(around 425k) and have possibility of buying second property soon?

Thanks

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first investment property in Perth. I have been looking at few suburbs. My strategy is to have capital growth.

I like canning vale, success and have been looking at house and land packages in banjup. I also looked at East Cannington/Cannington area. The properties i looked at are 4X2 houses around 550k.

I am leaning more towards success\banjup. Can you please give your thoughts on this. Also should I consider a option of villa\unit of less price(around 425k) and have possibility of buying second property soon?

Thanks

That's a decent budget for an investment, and it opens up a number of areas that I would consider before looking at the outer east. In fact, that's the last place I would look.
There's been a recent thread on North Perth, where you can still get properties in the 550->600k range (although not new 4x2s). For me, inner city locations such as this are going to be much better investments than anything in the outer east (assuming you are holding long term for CG).
I would look at northern coastal suburbs (west of marmian ave) to see what's available, even inner east like St James will no doubt present some options.

Thanks for the reply gooram.

Initially I looked at North Perth and Morley areas but didnt wanted to go pass Joondalup. But I am still open to it and will have a look to see what is available in that area. Thanks.

You are most likely to get less capital growth in areas where there is a lot of land as more can be made - if that makes sense.

Try and stick as close as possible to the CBD or if you go outer then make sure its near a trainline/station.

....or how about right smack bang in the CBD ??

Here's one that is asking $ 585K and rents for $ 800 per week and the Tenant picks up all of your costs.

http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/property/2010780748/for-sale/wa/perth/offices

Dazz
Not critisizing it by any means, but hooning along there recently (in my bus) I noticed about 50 'For Lease' signs along St Georges / Adelaide Tce. Is that not a cause for a concern, or perhaps a sterling opportunity to get in while everyone else is bailing?

Also, do commercial tenants pick up the strata fees? Are any of your props strata and if so, have you had any disputes with other owners/tenants on the property?

Hi AVS. If youd like a house and land package in those areas I can help you into a product with good rent, A1 property managers and some equity when complete.

Call me on 0423 nine seven two 359 if you want to look into it further.

Otherwise, I think your budget is spot on. The areas you are looking in keep growing and product keeps getting more expensive so you kind of generate equity by default. Canningvale is super popular for the schools so make sure you're not talked into a 3x2 on 200sqm.

You also only pay stamps on the land value, unlike on the whole house if buying outright in the area.

East and North Perth 2 Bed Apartments in smaller blocks of around 12?

I am looking at buying a new apartment with the angle of buy and hold for at least 10 years. A year ago the rents were decent and from the looks of it from the web, there are heaps of rentals available in east, north perth.

My question to any perth locals is, have the rents started dipping down around the city ? is there a potential over supply building up?

Often builders keep building even when the demand is down since they have already acquired a site and are too far down the path to turn back and delay from my experience during the last boom in Sydney around 2003

Any replies appreciated

Rents have started to fall back and there are more properties to choose from, so yes, it is happening now everywhere.

Cheers
MTR:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply gooram.

Initially I looked at North Perth and Morley areas but didnt wanted to go pass Joondalup. But I am still open to it and will have a look to see what is available in that area. Thanks.

They aren't past joondalup? And IMO much better options.

With a budget like that go much closer to the cbd or even a sattelite city.
Remember no1 rule Supply and demand.

Cheers

Cheers

East and North Perth 2 Bed Apartments in smaller blocks of around 12?

I am looking at buying a new apartment with the angle of buy and hold for at least 10 years. A year ago the rents were decent and from the looks of it from the web, there are heaps of rentals available in east, north perth.

My question to any perth locals is, have the rents started dipping down around the city ? is there a potential over supply building up?

Often builders keep building even when the demand is down since they have already acquired a site and are too far down the path to turn back and delay from my experience during the last boom in Sydney around 2003

Any replies appreciated

I would be avoiding apartments in and around the city, Subiaco, Wembley area, the oversupply is already happening and they are overpriced for either a PPOR or as a potential investment.
Something I have noticed I have noticed in the Inner City suburbs within about 10-12 kms, most of the developers now are building 3x 2 villas and not townhouses, I suppose they are easy to flick closer to that $500,000 mark and they are affordable to rent so attractive enough for investors.

Hi AVS. If youd like a house and land package in those areas I can help you into a product with good rent, A1 property managers and some equity when complete.

Hi Aaron, Thanks for your reply. My first preference is a established house build in past few years, but also investigating in house and land package option. I wouldn't mind getting more info on this.

They aren't past joondalup? And IMO much better options.

With a budget like that go much closer to the cbd or even a sattelite city.
Remember no1 rule Supply and demand.

Cheers

Cheers

I have been looking some data on suppy and demand, but it confuses me, If we look at new suburbs that are developing (Harrisdale, Piara waters etc) will have lot of supply but at same time they are still in demand I believe.

What source is best to review supply, demand information?

You are most likely to get less capital growth in areas where there is a lot of land as more can be made - if that makes sense.

Try and stick as close as possible to the CBD or if you go outer then make sure its near a trainline/station.

I couldnt find many properties close to CBD in my budget. I wasn't looking to get in to a small villa or townhouse as land component is very small. Was looking for a house or unit of decent size. Which suburbs close to CBD would you suggest?

I couldnt find many properties close to CBD in my budget. I wasn't looking to get in to a small villa or townhouse as land component is very small. Was looking for a house or unit of decent size. Which suburbs close to CBD would you suggest?

It wouldn't be something newish but I think you could pick up something in the 8-12km range from the city.

I'm thinking Embleton, Eden Hill, Riverton, Willeton, Bateman

Back