Investor friendly plumber in Adelaide

Hi All,

I got a bill of $90+GST :mad: for restarting the pilot light in the gas water heater in one of my IPs. I think its horrendous amount for a 2 mins job.

Can someone suggest me a investor friendly plumber here in Adelaide. Someone who doesn't charge exorbitantly.

Thanks

That's hilarious. I paid around $200 to have a gas HWS fully serviced inc parts and labour. They ignited the pilot light as part of the deal :)
You will find that all plumbers have a minimum call out fee, which includes the first quarter or half hour labour charge, whether it's a 2 minute job or a half hour job.

I got a bill of $90+GST :mad: for restarting the pilot light in the gas water heater in one of my IPs. I think its horrendous amount for a 2 mins job.

This sounds to me like a $75 call-out fee + 15 minutes min. labour @ $60ph = $15 labour = $90 all up.
Pretty standard fare I think you'll find firstmillion.

edit: Rob was posting at same time - looks like we agree

Spot on, 2 mins or 10 mins - getting a qualified tradie out to the site will cost you. Luckily when this has happened to one of mine (only once from memory) - my nephew is a gas fitter/plumber. ;)

Thanks guys, you have a point there. Probably next time just get up 30 mins early, go to the property and do it yourself.:).

I can't ask the plumber now to revise his invoice:rolleyes:.

Any investor friendly plumber?

Cheers

Thanks guys, you have a point there. Probably next time just get up 30 mins early, go to the property and do it yourself.:).

You're almost there. grasshopper.
Take it to the next level ...
Teach the tenant how to do it themselves.
I always cover this when I do my induction. I also leave an information pack at the property containing the usual stuff like bus timetables, rubbish/recycling schedules etc AND copies of instructions for thing like the air conditioner and hot water system (inc. the pilot light procedure).
There is nothing more rewarding than a self sufficient tenant :)

I always cover this when I do my induction. I also leave an information pack at the property containing the usual stuff like bus timetables, rubbish/recycling schedules etc AND copies of instructions for thing like the air conditioner and hot water system (inc. the pilot light procedure).

Thanks 'THE MOTIVATIONAL GURU'. Will put this as a task for thsi weekend. Tenant induction is a good idea.

Rob that can work both ways,but what happens if there is a problem,maybe someone bumps into the supply line and there is a leak and you have by way of your "Induction" let them take control??, and the process does not comply with the Law, especially if someone is injured or killed then destroying your property,sort of makes the money spent on a plumber seem like nothing,when you see how many young-old plumbers are killed each year like that and they are in the trade,it takes 6 years to become a linc plumber,maybe run it passed your legal team,you don't want a crime scene a belly up unrenterable property,and the insurance company tells you to get stuffed,and you ends up in the slammer on a manslaughter charge,not trying to have a go at you in any way,but i have seen this happen..lex nil frustra facit..willair..

Good points Willair. Worth noting.
However, there a big difference between showing them how to press a pilot light button (designed specifically for safe and easy end user usage) and having them attempt some sort of maintenance or repair.

Good points Willair. Worth noting.
However, there a big difference between showing them how to press a pilot light button (designed specifically for safe and easy end user usage) and having them attempt some sort of maintenance or repair.
Rob have a read of this that happened in Melbourne's south-east early today,sort of sends a shiver down my back..willair..
Exploding van blows up Melbourne street..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/22/2720745.htm

Did he have to travel to get there ? - maybe 15 minutes each way ? Adds up to 32 minutes of his (& his offsiders) time.

I got charged by 'the dripping tap' plumber, a whopping $129 just for looking around my garden to see which taps hadnt been turned off!

We had a large water bill and had called them in to do a pressure test to see if we had an underground leak. Did he bring the pressure tester with him? Nope, he said they had to do a pre-test of taps first.

But the thing that really, really pissed me off was that he spent 15 minutes in the driveway laboriously writing out his invoice in full detail of each tap he had checked, and then charged me for the time he took to write out the invoice!

I contacted main base and they said his GPRS indicated he had spent 25 minutes there. Well of cause he bleeping did but over half of that time was writing the invoice.:mad:

I contacted Consumer Affairs and they said that what he did was morally wrong, but not legally wrong, because I had not asked them prior, if they charged for the time that it took to write an invoice!

(PS, we live 2 minutes away from main base)

Needless to say, I rang other plumbers and they were gobsmacked at what the dripping tap had done.

That's a rip off. Did you find an investor friendly plumber ?:)

I dont think "investor friendly" and "Plumber" can be linked. They are all expensive. We use Ken Hall Plumbers, but gosh, plumbers are just so expensive but at least most of them dont charge for preparing their invoice!:(

I had my hot water plumber attend one of my properties recently to fix a blocked pilot light. He cleaned, re-assembled and tested it.
He charged me a total of $96, which is his minimum charge and includes the first half hour of labour.
I was more than happy with that.
He was onsite the next day, did a great job, charged me his min charge.
Now THAT'S what I call an investor friendly plumber.
Firstmillion - don't focus on the cost. Look at the what you are getting for the money.
A tenant with hot water is a happy tenant. It's not all about the money.

They all are friendly, just pay them their bills. There is no harm in paying what someone is worth, dont we like to get paid. :)

Agreed master :D

Pls send me the details of the plumber. Won't you like to give more business to him :)

all the best in your search for a plumber 1stmill... some nice threadjacking and elusive replies so far. I hope Rob passes on the details of his plumber to you :D

Back