Investors in Adelaide - Where are your hot spots

That's because the major tourism areas outside of Adelaide are predominantly north and south, so that's where the transport infrastructure needs to go. I'm just hanging out for the electrification out to Outer Harbour, which seems logical to me.

The infrastructure is much more than transport. ;)

The redevelopment of the Aquadome (Elizabeth) and State Aquatic Centre (Marion), the expansion and development of the largest Northern hospital lyell McEwin hospital (Elizabeth) and Flinders hospital (Marion).

I am a lot more familiar with the Northern area, so I'd mention the Elizabeth hub also holds magistrate courts, the district police precinct, council chambers, public facilities. You get the picture. The Northern train line is currently being redeveloped (All train infrastructure in the metro is) with the local station being expanded into a transport hub, much akin to Mawson Lakes exchange but larger.

The population of the Playford council (Elizabeth) is set to double from 80,000 to 160,000 over the next 20 years.

I've rambled on enough, I'd say with such development and spending, we are looking at interesting times.

Theres still more questions than answers in Adelaide imo.

Will Victor take off, or Murray Bridge, perhaps Seaford or Aldinga.

I ask 50 YO's in Adelaide where they would like to retire to and dont seem to get a consistent answer. Most don't seem to have given it much thought.

At the macro level Adelaide still seems to have the fundamental disconnect that most people want to live south of the city (if they cant afford east or inner west) but most of the non-retail work is north.

My money is still in the eastern suburbs, the yield isnt so great, but the growth (in $ terms not %'s) is still enough to keep me happy.

I'll chime in here the east suburbs here as well. I've just bought a property in the north-east suburbs at about $45k less than the price paid 2 years ago.

It's still a good area, and they're showing a lot of developments in the near vicinity. ie demo-ing old houses, subdividing, and building. Plus the O-bahn in this case is very close by.

I dont really like the idea of hotspotting, because a hotspot for me may not be a hotspot for you, due to affordability variances etc. However there has been some bargains in Kurralta Park, in particular the units.

If this article is anything to go by, apparently we should all be investing in high places, literally...

What Chinese buyers want in a new home

by: Real estate editor Amy Noonan
December 12, 2011 12:00AM
7 comments

CHINESE homebuyers are flocking to the northeastern suburbs partly because they fear tsunamis, real estate agents say.

Rostrevor and suburbs along Magill Rd are the most popular among Chinese buyers, according to Ray White sales consultant and buyer's agent Brady Shaw.

Mr Shaw, who speaks Mandarin, said distance from the beach was a factor, as well as the conventional-style houses and good schools.

"Another reason is because it's high above sea level, on the way to the mountains and the hills; it's the fear of a tsunami," he said.

"We keep explaining to buyers it's not a possible thing because Adelaide is in the gulf; we will never have a situation like tsunamis, but it's a mind thing."

Harris Real Estate sales agent Tom Hector has sold at least six Rostrevor properties to Chinese buyers in the past 12 months and he advertises in the local Chinese language newspaper.

"They love the style of home in the area, the 1960s conventional style with brick construction," Mr Hector said.

Linda Zhan moved from China to Rostrevor in 2007 and shares her street with Chinese neighbours.

"First ... the cost is very good, second, the surroundings here are very good and it's close to the Morialta Conservation Park, Ms Zhan said.

"And third, there are some good schools here."

Sorry, but this has to be one of the stupidest real estate articles I've read all year. Rostrevor is nowhere near the beach, and I doubt that any significant number of people indicate tsunamis as being an important factor - they don't occur down here as we don't have the undersea fault lines to generate them. Good schools (UniSA's campus which is closing in the next few years) are littered around the area though and it's close to the centre of Adelaide.

yes i read that article too. it sounded bizarre??? but sometimes adelaide now reporting is a bit on the dramatic side.

but do agree magill and rostrevor are growth areas and have great potential.

lots of filling in going on and near to good schools/shops/transport and magill campus unisa, at present.

perhaps earthquakes might be more of a risk in adelaide, rather than a tsunami? but do not tell the buyers.

yes i read that article too. it sounded bizarre??? but sometimes adelaide now reporting is a bit on the dramatic side.

but do agree magill and rostrevor are growth areas and have great potential.

lots of filling in going on and near to good schools/shops/transport and magill campus unisa, at present.

perhaps earthquakes might be more of a risk in adelaide, rather than a tsunami? but do not tell the buyers.

Earthquakes definitely are more of a risk in Adelaide, even compared to other major cities - but we aren't talking risk of the level that places like NZ and Japan face.

A small number of buildings had to be demolished in Adelaide following the 1954 earthquake, but that's about as bad as it gets. Plus, construction and safety of homes has generally improved since then.

Margaret Lomas

Hi, Margaret Lomas in a recent API edition identified Seaford, Adelaide as a definate hot spot and she recently bought there as well!! Seaford consistently is in "hot spot" articles for fantastic future CG. I hope so as I bought in there too. Only time will tell. Not many places around you can buy for $300 to $350k on 700 to 800sqm with reasonable houses on them, 1 street back from an esplanade and surfing beach and 30kms from city!! Plenty of new infrastrucure happening going on to help things along.

Hi, Margaret Lomas in a recent API edition identified Seaford, Adelaide as a definate hot spot and she recently bought there as well!! Seaford consistently is in "hot spot" articles for fantastic future CG. I hope so as I bought in there too. Only time will tell. Not many places around you can buy for $300 to $350k on 700 to 800sqm with reasonable houses on them, 1 street back from an esplanade and surfing beach and 30kms from city!! Plenty of new infrastrucure happening going on to help things along.

Yes, it's going to be interesting to see how prices and the rate of supply to the area changes in Seaford after the rail extension opens in 2013 and the Southern Expressway duplication as well.

For the above reasons I''ve also considered seaford and christies beach (wrote another thread on it last week asking which people preferred)

I couldn't help noticing though that Christies beach prices seem similar if not slightly less than seaford which I don't really understand, as it's also on the beach about 5-10km closer to the city, it already has the train station on the same line being extended (albiet not electrified yet), and I've heard that beach road is becoming qute a nice cafe strip ect. (although seaford does have the shopping centre)

What I don't understand not being a local is whether seaford has anything over christies beach that I'm not aware of that would give us reason to expect it perform better than CB in the future? Wouldn't people chose to live closer to the city if all else is equal, or is seaford nicer or something?

Does anyone know these 2 suburbs well enough to comment?

For the above reasons I''ve also considered seaford and christies beach (wrote another thread on it last week asking which people preferred)

I couldn't help noticing though that Christies beach prices seem similar if not slightly less than seaford which I don't really understand, as it's also on the beach about 5-10km closer to the city, it already has the train station on the same line being extended (albiet not electrified yet), and I've heard that beach road is becoming qute a nice cafe strip ect. (although seaford does have the shopping centre)

What I don't understand not being a local is whether seaford has anything over christies beach that I'm not aware of that would give us reason to expect it perform better than CB in the future? Wouldn't people chose to live closer to the city if all else is equal, or is seaford nicer or something?

Seaford is a much more recently developed suburb than Christies Beach, so the housing stock is more modern and generally the more desirable of the two. There are also some less desirable suburbs immediately to the east of Christies Beach.

Seaford has only been around for about 10 years or so, while Christies Beach is very much an area of the 70s and 80s. Other than this, I can't really understand the difference in median prices either. There has been a fair bit of local investment around the foreshore at Christies Beach as well.

Just a stab at what I think has happened...

Seaford is probably the preferred place out of the 2 for non investors from the region wanting to buy a PPOR, whereas Christies Beach being the cheaper (was), much older suburb, with the traditional bigger blocks, got a lot of attention as a place to invest, hence the prices there rose significantly.

IMO, CB has already factored into the price it's 'value'. Is it still a hotspot above other suburbs, atm? I think, probably not unless you get something at a decent discount (but that applies for many areas too).

Norwoodman, Weg & all,

There are two "Seafords" needing definition.

Beach side Seaford has been around a damn sight longer than 10 yrs or so. We used to catch the train from Adelaide Station to go surfing there when I was in high school (1980). The Noarlunga centre was still being built.

Not long after I entered the workforce (1981) landowners started selling off their properties from top end of Brighton Rd - Cement Hill right through to Aberfoyle Park and down to Noarlunga & Seaford Meadows. Private investors & State Govt bought up most of it prior to the controversial Southern Expressway discussions gaining momentum - the southern corridor was on the table way back then.

Beachside Seaford, like Moana, was purely a beach shack / weekender destination with some people building Pioneer, AVJennings & other spec build 'L' shaped boxes one or two streets back from esplanade. Christies beach was the southern suburbs version of Elizabeth, full of skinheads and was definitely on the nose as a place to visit let alone buy. As land became scarce, the State Govt bought up & developed the vineyards & cattle paddocks way inland at Hackham & Hackham West; this became the new Housing Trust dumping ground.

Realising the "stigma" mistake they created at Elizabeth, Sailsbury, Mitchell Park, Christies Beach & Hackham, the State Govt then stepped into the 18th century (SA is a long way behind everywhere else); and started a big drive to develop family friendly estates between Main South Road & Ocean Boulevard - these became the various Sheidow Park, Trott Park, Reynella estates. Further south beyond Lonsdale, Pt Stanvac & Christies, the areas inland of Commercial Road became the "New" series of Seaford estates", even though the beachside Seaford had been in existence, it wasn't well known even in Adelaide.....when we'd go surfing, parents & other people would say "where's that?" Blocks of land in these new estates were in the order of $26K to $37K. This was all years before the expressway went in, and people commuted as best they could.

After the massive population drive to all suburbs south of O'Halloran Hill, places like Marino Rocks & the undeveloped cliff end of Hallett Cove (the end closer to Stanvac) became "exclusive" so too the 1990's versions of McMansions became prominent.

I find it puzzling that Lomas & others would declare Seaford as a hot spot - the way I see it Christies Beach (for subdivision, knock down / rebuilds) is a better option. Seaford away from the beach is a fugly, burbs ant nest on small blocks you can do nothing with. The older houses on big blocks beach side of Commercial Rd would be the only sensible way to go - along with that continued stretch of housing all the way down to Moana Beach.

Mind you, the whole Seaford / Moana esplanade (hoon strip) always was an uninspiring stretch of coast and still is by comparison to Sellicks & Silver Sands!

Victor Harbour??? It's like a "mini Adelaide".....who would want to go there? Forget it unless you're about to die....it's either freezing cold, or stinking hot and it's a hole.....much like most of Adelaide, apart from Alberton :D

Ian.

Thanks for the detailed insight Ian, weg, norwoodman about the area.

From what I've heard lomas say she likes the whole area (seaford, Christies, moana) not just seaford.

I was looking at beachside seaford vs beachside christies beach where the housing both looks about 30 years old on 600-800m2 blocks. I'd be intested in something with subdivision/development potential later on but couldn't decide between the two.

I haven't researched the minimum block size and frontage sizes yet.
(Does anyone know these already)? I don't have any experience with subdivisions but figured I just had to call the council and ask?

Ian, from your post why do you consider beachside CB a better option for subdivisions ect than beachside seaford?

G'day Dredfern,

I prefer CB over Seaford beach mainly due to sub divisible blocks & existing demographic change. There's also the cleaner beaches at CB & Noarlunga, as well as shops, restaurants, coffee etc which Seaford Beach simply hasn't got.

The esplanade at seafood is a constant noisy drag strip even with roundabouts. I prefer to be able to walk across the road and onto a beach without having to hike up & down levels of stairs or cliffs.

I think CB just has a bit more to offer right across the board including some CG still left in the next upward phase of cycle - Seaford Beach would be really long term in my view and it needs a heck of a lot of infrastructure and rezoning to commercial & retail to flourish. Just can't see council going that far in the short to medium term.

I'd also buy into Noarlunga beach strip before Seaford as well......more of a beach, community lifestyle and comes with a bit of atmosphere which Seaford doesn't have.

Ian.

I was looking at beachside seaford vs beachside christies beach where the housing both looks about 30 years old on 600-800m2 blocks. I'd be intested in something with subdivision/development potential later on but couldn't decide between the two.

I haven't researched the minimum block size and frontage sizes yet.
(Does anyone know these already)? I don't have any experience with subdivisions but figured I just had to call the council and ask?

As far as I understand, the latest development plan for the entire Onkaparinga area (which covers both Seaford and Christies Beach) doesn't stipulate any minimal block size, but has a number of other conditions pertaining to other factors such as minimal frontage (I think it's at least 8m from memory, but don't take my word on that...), character, access, infrastructure and the usual things you'd expect to find on any council development plan discussed. These differ across the Onkaparinga council of course.

Things seem to be more lenient in terms of how dense you can build if the site is located by one of the main roads (except Main South Road which is basically a no-go area, but I doubt you'd need worry about that anyway since it doesn't run directly through either SF or CB) or within 400m of one the train stations.

The development plan can be found here: http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchi...itan/Onkaparinga_Council_Development_Plan.pdf

Seaford V Christies Beach

One thing why I chose Seaford over CB that hasn't been mentioned yet is there are many pockets of CB that is public housing and you need to be very careful even to the point of selecting street whereas this is not the case at beachside Seaford. The adjacent suburb of CB is Christies Downs which is not very nice at all, public housing etc etc.

Sorry Adelaidean....not so.

Seaford has a considerable amount of public housing but it's harder to pick.

The stuff in CB is old besser block, or vanilla cream brick and pretty obvious. The stuff in seafood was "blended" into the surrounds in the late 70's early 80's by using many differing styles of brick (although predominantly dark browns & flecks to get away from the vanilla cream stigma). Believe me it's still very much public housing.

The Plan Norwoodman linked refers also to CB & Seaford as Residential Medium Density with minimum 15% "affordable housing". This is no different to what has been spread through Golden Grove and other massive developments throughout Adelaide. From memory, Golden Grove was 1 in 12 houses are public housing.

Earlier comments about setbacks & min size land is all in the Plan; you just need to look for it. Pages 270 or so onwards......it's a huge document some 600 pages or so. If you seriously want the info, it's all in there......happy reading!!

Back