IP Comfort zones - How far do we push them?

Dear guys,

The last few days I have been conscientiously working on a new development project on a project type that I have not done before, that will push myself in a controlled way out of my comfort zone.

In doing the feasibility I am ensuring that I have completed my due diligence accurately, in detail, and with a sufficient level for contingencies.

However the fact remains the comfort zone is being pushed even though the financial SANF is sound.

Thinking about this I believe it is so important for ALL investors to regularly push their comfort zones in a controlled way to avoid the potential limitations on getting the opportunities that are out there in the marketplace.

We cannot always catch the same fish in the sea. Sometimes it is a case of fishing in another place, changing the bait or catching a different type of fish.

A story I have heard is about the breaking of the sound barrier. All first attempts to pass the sound barrier failed because the pilots pulled the plane up suddenly, thereby resulting in the plane exploding. It was only when the pilot fell unconscious -falling onto the “accelerator” and increasing the speed and comfort zones that the sound barrier was broken.

What do other forumites think on this issue?

Are comfort zones important? Or is pushing them a critical part in one’s self-development and gaining opportunities rather than limiting them? How far is too far?

Some thoughts…………

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Comfort Zone

I think a few things about comfort zones:

1) extending your comfort zone is necessary to achieve sucess

2) extending your comfort zone should be done with as much control as you can achieve

3) should not go into comfort zone if you there are blatant risks, thus comfort zone should be as controlled as possible and be discomfortable not painful!

4) Information is THE key to comfort zone management!

5) Comfort zones are like stress - they require management.

Timbo

Seems kind of contradictory to me. You're either in your comfort zone or your not, a bit like being pregnant.

What's the definition of a comfort zone? Would you actually do something that's outside your comfort zone? If you would then I'd argue then it wasn't outside your comfort zone to begin with.

But I will certainly agree that the more due diligence, research, investigation, learning etc that you apply, the bigger the comfort zone becomes.

How far do we push them? I believe fully in always pushing your comfort zone.

It is possible to go beyond your comfort zone but at the same time make intelligent, measured, and informed decisions.

Who wants to be comfortable when they can be excited, ecstatic, and in love with life?

Davo

Hi

On tv a while ago there was a person on who sold t-shirts who said he had a comfort zone, a learnig zone and a danger zone.

Comfort zone we just keep rolling along without reaching our best potential.

Learning zone we do all our reshearch and planing before we dive in.

Danger zone we have no clue about what we are doing.

If we are succesful in our learning zone our comfort zone will grow, if we fall flat on our assets the comfort zone will shrink.

Of course if you are out in the danger zone and you get lucky you then write a book on it and failing may mean there is now a line drawn in the sand that no amount of education can cross.

I liked the message even though the messanger did little for me.

bundy

Dear guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

Pressed the button yesterday and am doing my first "duplex house relocation" and am pushing my comfort zone in the right direction. :)

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

comfort zone ? something that is entirely self imposed. Do you feel you have one ? Do oyu feel you have one imposed on you ?
Or do you say c-zone there is no ceiling !
latter,
astroboy

Astro,

Would you please be so kind as to have another look at your post.

I'm sure it was entirely unintentional on your part :) but the post reads as quite angry.

May I humbly suggest a slight edit on your part?

asy :D

I walked away from a three unit deal due to comfort factor.
Three units all on one title unfinished (although had been occupied at one time). Some damage (partly due to squatters), and appliances missing.

The catch, although "finished", no Cert of Occup issued. Some issues - floors uneven, some water leak-looking damage, few other issues as well.

In the end, too far away, a few too many things wrong and I don't know building inspectors to help with the Cert of Occup. Worst case, as frame inspection not done, please rip off plaster for inspection - aarrgghh !!

Had the potential to be a great deal, or a nightmare. But, given the work, too far away from home for me (90km).

Instead, going for a neatish 4 br home, closer to my PPOR. Needs a bathroom reno, rest is not flash, but perfectly fine.

This is still pushing comfort a little, as it's eating into the buffer zone I like to keep for unexpected expenses (the bank wouldn't give me as much as I wanted - bugger!).

Cheers,

Simon.

G'day All,

Is the "comfort zone" a mis-nomer? It appears that some believe a comfort sone is something you are in. Others believe the "comfort zone" extends as far as we are prepared to stretch. Who's right? Is it important? A rose by any other name ... etc.

Is it possible that we "stretch" outside of our "norm" by an amount that we are comfortable to stretch. If this is closer, then we expand our "norm" by an amount that allows us to grow, without imposing undue hardship, loss of sleep, or (perhaps) monetary stress. Our "norm" expands none-the-less.

A quote I heard that gave me pause to ponder was when someone said
If a child attempts to master a clarinet, they are often said to be 'learning to play'. But, at what point does 'learning to play' become 'playing the clarinet'? Is there such a point in time, or were they always 'PLAYING the clarinet'?

Note that I don't recall the actual words, but it is worth pondering... In light of the current discussion, is there a parallel - e.g. if someone is attempting something outside their norm, and their so-called 'comfort zone' is expanding, do we really need to pigeon-hole the behaviour? Or are they simply "growing"?

Does it matter if (in growing) they are growing "comfortably"? Or is it just important that they are growing?

Regards,

Originally posted by asy
Astro,

Would you please be so kind as to have another look at your post.

I'm sure it was entirely unintentional on your part :) but the post reads as quite angry.

May I humbly suggest a slight edit on your part?

asy :D

Tried to edit but too late, my humblest apologies, it was certainly not mean't to have sounded angry. Sunstone I sincerely apologise and hope I didn't offend you. My memories of the evening are hazy at best.

astroboy will no longer post after the pub...

Dear Astroboy,

Thanks for the apology. We all can have bad days. ;)

The good thing is there are many good people on here and having like minded people around you certainly helps yourself and others. We can all learn something from each other. If we don't then we are not listening enough.

Hope you can come along to one of the BIG meetings sometime.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Adventurer,

Welcome to the forum.

"SANF" = "Sleep At Night Factor".

ie, you must be comfortable enough with what you're foing financially to be able to sleep well at night.

Back