IP feasibility website

Hi all,

I have been putting together a website that can help crunch the numbers when buying an IP http://goo.gl/6kfPw.

It is very simple.

You enter the purchase price, rent and your income. Then, based on some assumptions (which you can adjust), it gives you cashflow and yield over a period of time.

I started this tool as a spreadsheet and now have made it a website.

It automatically calculates:
1. Stamp duty
2. Income tax
3. Gross and nett cashflow
4. Gross and nett yield

I am looking for your feedback on this.

Using it should be straight forward, just enter your details and hit "Crunch Numbers" or hit "Advanced" to tweak the assumptions.

Please post back your experience and feedback. I am happy to receive both constructive and positive feedback - so, don't hold back.

Thanks
Srini

Hi all,

I have been putting together a website that can help crunch the numbers when buying an IP http://goo.gl/6kfPw.

It is very simple.

You enter the purchase price, rent and your income. Then, based on some assumptions (which you can adjust), it gives you cashflow and yield over a period of time.

I started this tool as a spreadsheet and now have made it a website.

It automatically calculates:
1. Stamp duty
2. Income tax
3. Gross and nett cashflow
4. Gross and nett yield

I am looking for your feedback on this.

Using it should be straight forward, just enter your details and hit "Crunch Numbers" or hit "Advanced" to tweak the assumptions.

Please post back your experience and feedback. I am happy to receive both constructive and positive feedback - so, don't hold back.

Thanks
Srini
been looking for a tool like this for awhile most of our stuff is done in excel well done would look into getting a keyword domain for this tool other then that it seems very useful.

been looking for a tool like this for awhile most of our stuff is done in excel well done would look into getting a keyword domain for this tool other then that it seems very useful.

Thanks James. Appreciate the feedback.

I've been getting around 20 hits a day since I posted it here. So, I have been making minor changes and fixing a couple of bugs.

I am in the process of getting domain names registered.

What do you think of the name? As you can see, my marketing is not my strength.

Hope you continue to use it.

Thanks
Srini

_______________________________________________________________________________________
http://goo.gl/6kfPw
PincPal - Property Investment Number Cruncher

Srini, I assume that you have not purchased the Somers program. Its been a while since I purchase, and I recall that while ours is the "professional" one, and is the most expensive, the "personal" one was not that expensive, and is easy to keep up to date etc, with changes. ie tax etc.
The most valuable thing I have observed about the Somers program, is its transperancy, and the ease with which the assumpotions can be changed. I have had a number of cusotoems take the reports away, and hav etheir accountant run their eyes over them, and the formula etc ist correct. Often peopel will return, and ask me to vary a few of the assumptions and redo th ereports. Also, to me, the most valuable number, is the Internal Rate of Return. Which is, what is my return, on my outlay. If I borrow the lot, the my investment is effectively "zero" so what is my return, on a year by year basis, over time.
The program also works in reverse. I can enter a property that I purcahsed some years ago, and then put in the actuals say over the past 10 years, and it will work out my performnace. Interesting, the Somers program gave different numbers to yours!

Srini, I assume that you have not purchased the Somers program. Its been a while since I purchase, and I recall that while ours is the "professional" one, and is the most expensive, the "personal" one was not that expensive, and is easy to keep up to date etc, with changes. ie tax etc.
The most valuable thing I have observed about the Somers program, is its transperancy, and the ease with which the assumpotions can be changed. I have had a number of cusotoems take the reports away, and hav etheir accountant run their eyes over them, and the formula etc ist correct. Often peopel will return, and ask me to vary a few of the assumptions and redo th ereports. Also, to me, the most valuable number, is the Internal Rate of Return. Which is, what is my return, on my outlay. If I borrow the lot, the my investment is effectively "zero" so what is my return, on a year by year basis, over time.
The program also works in reverse. I can enter a property that I purcahsed some years ago, and then put in the actuals say over the past 10 years, and it will work out my performnace. Interesting, the Somers program gave different numbers to yours!

Hi Peter

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site and writing providing thoughtful feedback.

I have not used the Somers program. I will have a look at it.

IIR is a very good point. I will include that in the next version.

On your points about transparency, if you click on the Advanced button, you can see all the assumptions that have been used and change them as much as you like.

Also, on the Advanced screen, you can change the Purchase Date to any date in the past. This way you can check the cashflow from an existing property in your portfolio.

I will post future version updates here as well.

Appreciate your taking the time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I have attached a screen shot from IE 7. You may want to space out a bit. It is tough to get sites to work well on all browsers and different versions!

I have attached a screen shot from IE 7. You may want to space out a bit. It is tough to get sites to work well on all browsers and different versions!

Hi Devank,

Thanks for taking the time. The attachment did not come through.

Are you able to email it to sriniRvasan at gmail dot com.

I tested on IE, Firefox and Chrome - but not in detail. Full testing on various browsers is on my todo list :)

Thanks
Srini

Hi Peter,

Just re-read your post.

Interesting that the numbers vary from Somers program. I don't have access to that.

Are you able to share details so I can try and understand the differences?

Feel free to PM or email sriniRvasan at gmail dot com.

Thanks
Srini

Srini, using IE9 and it threw up a lot of exceptions to do with malformed XML, said it was unable to get the value of the property and something about Remove Child. May need a little tweaking.

Srini, using IE9 and it threw up a lot of exceptions to do with malformed XML, said it was unable to get the value of the property and something about Remove Child. May need a little tweaking.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. I updated the site today - but stupidly didn't test with IE 9.

I'm working on it and should have it fixed before Monday.

Thanks
Srini

Hi Jaggannath,

This looks like a known issue with IE 9. I have done a work-around now.

Are you able to try this now.

Thanks
Srini

Fixed srini... I assume the check is in the mail for the beta-testing? ;)

Hi mate

Absolutely. I am working out a business model and have many features planned.

Regardless of how it goes the website will be free to all Somersoft forumites.

Appreciate your help and taking the time

Thanks
Srini

Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on a one-screen version where you can see the effect of the changes you make on the same screen.

I will post to this thread when I make the update.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback. I now have a simple link.

Please try http://www.pincpal.com/

Thanks a lot

_________________________________________________________________________________
www.pincpal.com - Helping you assess return on your property investment

Hi all,

Based on the feedback I received, the website is now www.pincpal.com

I am also working on a one-screen version where you can see the effect of the changes you make on the same screen.

I will post to this thread when I make the update.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide feedback.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hi

Good site but what about including depreciation...
I use a simple negative gearing tool from another website which is just like yours but includes depreciation.

Hi

Good site but what about including depreciation...
I use a simple negative gearing tool from another website which is just like yours but includes depreciation.

Hi Juzza

I initially had depreciation on this.

But, I removed it based on:
1. Depreciation varies depending on when you buy the property - so extra field to capture purchase date. I didn't think people would want to enter more data. But sounds like its a good idea to have it
2. I was not sure of how its calculated - low value pool, capital deductions etc. Capital deductions I imagine is straight forward, but low value pool vs. depreciated over 5 years is hard to guess/estimate.

Having said that I would absolutely love to have the calcs consider depreciation.

Are you able to share a link?

Thanks for taking the time to try out the site.

Cheer
Srini

______________________________________________________________________________________

Good work!

I like the simplicity, but also having the option to alter the variables. Nice work, and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Back