IP Cashflow and Growth projection website

Hi all,

I have been working on a website that can help crunch the numbers when buying an IP - www.numbrcrunchr.com.

It is very simple.

You enter the purchase price, rent and your income. Then, based on some assumptions (which you can adjust), it gives you cashflow and yield over a period of time.

I started this tool as a spreadsheet and now have made it a website.

It automatically calculates:
1. Stamp duty
2. Income tax
3. Gross and nett cashflow
4. Gross and nett yield

I am looking for your feedback on this.

Using it should be straight forward, just enter your details and select "Change Assumptions" to adjust the various dials like growth rate, CPI etc.

Please post back your experience and feedback. I am happy to receive both constructive and positive feedback - so, don't hold back.

I originally developed this back in 2011 but haven't had a chance to update it.

Thanks
Srini

Looks pretty good and fairly simple to use, nice one.

Notes
  • The cashflow seems alot less than expected - is it using P&I instead of IO?
  • Also, the LMI field doesnt seem to work, i put in a value but after pressing the submit button it goes back to zero. It should also be deductible over the first 5 years.
  • It seems odd with having ATO as a negative amount - does this mean we're paying tax as opposed to getting a tax refund?
  • Is depreciation calculated?
  • It'd be handy if there was a column in the table for out of pocket amount (whether that be a positive or negative figure based on the calcs), seems like its in the graph but not in the table

Looks pretty good and fairly simple to use, nice one.

Notes
  • The cashflow seems alot less than expected - is it using P&I instead of IO?
  • Also, the LMI field doesnt seem to work, i put in a value but after pressing the submit button it goes back to zero. It should also be deductible over the first 5 years.
  • It seems odd with having ATO as a negative amount - does this mean we're paying tax as opposed to getting a tax refund?
  • Is depreciation calculated?
  • It'd be handy if there was a column in the table for out of pocket amount (whether that be a positive or negative figure based on the calcs), seems like its in the graph but not in the table

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

[*]The cashflow seems alot less than expected - is it using P&I instead of IO
I've tried to match the cashflow to my manual spreadsheets, so happy to be corrected. Is there a spreadsheet you can send me so I can compare and fix?

[*]Also, the LMI field doesnt seem to work, i put in a value but after pressing the submit button it goes back to zero. It should also be deductible over the first 5 years.
I was trying to be smart with showing the LMI field only if the LVR is over 80%. I did not know that the LMI is deductible over 5 years. Thank you

[*]It seems odd with having ATO as a negative amount - does this mean we're paying tax as opposed to getting a tax refund?
Yes, the -ve means that we're paying the ATO. Does it make sense to just explain that or show 0?

[*]Is depreciation calculated?
No, depreciation is not included at the moment. But will add fields that you can fill in values from your schedule in the future

[*]It'd be handy if there was a column in the table for out of pocket amount (whether that be a positive or negative figure based on the calcs), seems like its in the graph but not in the table
That's easily done. I'll put that in the next update

Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Left data entry form is obscured unless full screen, should fix the width and let the results form float.

Hi wategos,

Thanks for trying this out. I don't have an iPad on hand, but have tried it with ipadpeek.com. I see the problem and am working on a table friendly version.

Hopefully will have it out by next weekend.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

I have updated the website with:

• Better design to support tablets
  • Fixes to the tax tables
  • Ability to download Excel or CSV
  • Out-of-pocket costs included in the table

Thanks for the continued support and feedback.

I think your stamp study calc for ACT is out - I tried a $500,000 property and it said it would be $20,500, yet the ACT Govt says $17,100. Nice site though!

Nice pick-up. Now fixed. I realised I hadn't updated the stamp duty rates since the last change. Thanks for taking the time to try it out and glad you like it.

Hi. I like this a lot, Srini. But can you change the graph and table x-axis scale. I care what my ip is doing in 5 years but not hundreds of years. Unless I have read it wrong, in which case I'm sorry.
Cheers Ali

Hi. I like this a lot, Srini. But can you change the graph and table x-axis scale. I care what my ip is doing in 5 years but not hundreds of years. Unless I have read it wrong, in which case I'm sorry.
Cheers Ali

Its not hundreds, hes accidentally got a 1 on the front of each number

I'm a newbie, so I'm not sure about the figures yet. But it has great potential I would think. I was also confused by the years but it sounds like it is just a glitch. Perhaps it would be good if you could enter adjust figures like the council rates etc.

Edited: sorry I see you can change the council rates in the assumptions!

This is just great - really well done.

A few things

1. Is it including stamp duty, buying costs etc in the first year of the property value - should this not just be purchase price?

2. It would be great to somehow include some baseline depreciation depending on age of purchase etc.. no idea how. HA!

Hi Srini,
I had a quick look and it really looks great. Is there any chance to change the format for the year? I haven't quite worked out your numbering system. is it Year 1, Month 1? What does the Value 'Y 181' represent? :)

Problems using the page with Google Chrome

Hi,

Thanks for putting this resource together and sharing.

I struggled to use the drop downs in Google Chrome but all seems to work well with Explorer.

I hope this feedback helps.

Regards
Hellachiever

Hi Thanks this is really good but is there a way to put in stamp duty on land only value as 2 of ours we only paid stamp duty on the land ??
I see you can take stamp duty out but nowhere to add in other government costs to be able to add in stamp duty for land only. Depreciation would also be a good add in feature too. Overall really good thank you

This is just great - really well done.

A few things

1. Is it including stamp duty, buying costs etc in the first year of the property value - should this not just be purchase price?

2. It would be great to somehow include some baseline depreciation depending on age of purchase etc.. no idea how. HA!

Thanks for giving it a go. I have no idea how to do the depreciation. I have been looking at some of the schedules I have to try and work out how I could include it.

I'd really appreciate any help from a Quantity Surveyor to help me develop this. Any takers?

On your first point, I include the stamp duty and buying costs to work out the total purchase price.

Thanks again.

Back