iPhone 5 is out, and Woz in in Brisbane

Android users have to pay for Google Maps? That's a genuine question, by the way.

TBH, all the stuff you said about updates and whatnot just sounds like Apple is more than willing to halfarse everything and just provide 'fixes' along the way. Just like Microsoft with their 'updates' that fix security leaks, all the while creating new ones. I mean, I can understand that from a business point of view. Why spend millions developing your software properly to a high standard when you can just throw a few hacked bits of code together and people will line up for days to get the new phone when it's released? If users are really that ignorant, then gouge them for all you can get, I say.

Going back to my car analogy, it's like the dealer saying 'Hey, I know your car only has two wheels, but don't worry, we'll get the other two for you at some point in time and when we do, we'll let you know! Just one thing - we can't guarantee that they won't be square!'

Are you really okay with that? From what I've read, Apple Maps isn't the only problem with iO6.

Android users have to pay for Google Maps? That's a genuine question, by the way.

No. But the Google API terms of use (application programming interfaces) have always included the proviso that they can be modified or discontinued at any time without notice. So Google could just turn them off if they wanted, or start charging access fees.

I've built a database that uses the maps api, and after 1,000 views an hour Google stops sending maps. If you need more you need to pay. If you had built, say, a taxi dispatch system using the Google Maps api to generate the maps and location services then that's an important part of the functionality that's under the control of somebody else. Apple recognises this risk and is doing something about it.

TBH, all the stuff you said about updates and whatnot just sounds like Apple is more than willing to halfarse everything and just provide 'fixes' along the way. Just like Microsoft...

Yes, but that's how things have to be done now. It's not halfarsed, there is a huge amount of consideration that goes into deciding whether to ship or whether to hold off. (One Microsoft blog I read talks about "million dollar bugs" because if they delay a release, that's how much money gets wasted: pressed CDs and DVDs are now junked, pre-purchased broadcast and publishing advertising space is forfeited, printed materials are pulped...)

RIM (Blackberry) have consistently failed to release their new killer phone OS and they are now DEAD in the water because of it, despite being the technology leader.

Even hardware is released early and can be successfully updated later after release, because it's often now controlled by firmware. Digital camera in particular often get significant improvements to major systems like lens focussing and image quality through firmware updates after sale.

In fact the same thing happens with cars too, but usually not wheels: the engine management and other computerised systems are often updated and bugs fixed during a dealer service after sale. These updates can improve fuel efficiency or reduce pollution emissions. We never get told about it, but often there will be a sticker near the fuse box to indicate that an upgrade has occurred and when.

Last edited:
So for any forumers here with the iPhone 5 - what is the verdict?
They're thinking they should've bought the S3 :)

samsung-v-iphone-640.jpg

I think the Iphone 5 is great, had a good play with it this arvo. Once you pick it up you notice how light it is straight away. The extra screen height makes things easier to read. The design is good near perfect, but some users have noticed defects likes scratches after taking it out of the box

I'll be getting one or try to before I head to Japan.

Went from an Iphone 3 to the Samsung S3, very happy with the Samsung except miss the e-mail functionality of the IPhone.

Andrew,

could you elaborate on the differences please?

Aside from calls, emails on the go are important for me. What are the main differences b/w the two for email functionality?

I am in the market for a new phone and whilst I prefer the tactile "click" of a qwerty keypad, I doubt Blackberry will be around for too much longer to deal with any warranty issues that may arise.

Hi vaughan, it says a lot about us as consumers really, doesn't it. The fact that most people accept this kind of rubbish just because they so desperately *must* have the latest device. I don't get it, mate.

I'm with you on that.

Apple fans are like the mother of a criminal. They will defend and love their child no matter what they do.

Whuch is touching in people. Sad when you realise it is just technology.

Went from an Iphone 3 to the Samsung S3, very happy with the Samsung except miss the e-mail functionality of the IPhone.

For me a significant indicator is this: you want a screen protector, phone case or some other fitted accessory for your phone. iPhone = spoilt for choice. Anything else (except for Blackberry) = good luck finding anything.

Blackberry = go through the remainders bin, lots of stuff in there. :)

Apple fans are like the mother of a criminal. They will defend and love their child no matter what they do.

Apple stuff is good. There is a reason it sells so well. People know value when they see it (yes, the argument that Apple stuff is expensive is not true any more). Apple has a loyal customer base because of this. Is that a bad reflection on the customers? People that prefer, say, flying with Qantas because of its reputation and their previously good experiences, are these people stupid for being a "fan" of Qantas?

Most people that have used Apple stuff are delighted by the experience. It's almost always significantly better than the next-best competition, however it's rarely "perfect" (though it often is close enough).

My wife is a PC person. She has a Blackberry given to her by work. She hates it. It's embarrassing pulling it out in meetings and scritch-scritch-scritch to navigate the menus.

Every other manager in her org has bought an iPhone with their own money and is using that instead of the Blackberry. So are the top executives of nearly every other organisation. Ditto for her work-supplied laptop: a plastic Dell or HP or some other lump.

There is a trend for top executives to have Apple phones and laptops, it's been growing for some time and it's been recognised by Gartner the information technology research and advisory firm.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/060612-gartner-mac-enterprise-259927.html

The other question is, have you actually every used or owned Apple stuff? I specifically bought a top Android phone so I could see how good it was. It's good, really good. But the Apple stuff is better.

The thing is I just can't fathom up any energy to care about a phone.

I have a galaxy 3 for work. I use it for maps and emails and phone calls. So I'm happy.

I just find the evangelical fervour of Apple users a bit amusing.

I've never cared much for mobile phones - I got my first mobile about 4 years ago. I was one of those people who never had their phone charged or it was always at home - I really didnt see much of a need for it.

About 2 years ago I got an iPhone - best purchase ever.

I honestly love it. If I had to pick a favourite gadget in my house it would be my iphone.

I've never cared much for mobile phones - I got my first mobile about 4 years ago. I was one of those people who never had their phone charged or it was always at home - I really didnt see much of a need for it.

About 2 years ago I got an iPhone - best purchase ever.

I honestly love it. If I had to pick a favourite gadget in my house it would be my iphone.

But is that because it's an iphone or because it's a smartphone?

An iphone is a smartphone, but not all smartphones are iphones. ;)

images

Apparently iLost is causing a bit of PR issues for Apple

Motorolla has already taken a swipe in an ad

Motorola-iLost-Apple-Maps-Droid-Razrm.jpg

“Looking for 315 E 15th in Manhattan? Google Maps on DROID RAZR M will get you there & not #iLost in Brooklyn.

The real world that’s fit for your hand”

Andrew,

could you elaborate on the differences please?

Aside from calls, emails on the go are important for me. What are the main differences b/w the two for email functionality?

I am in the market for a new phone and whilst I prefer the tactile "click" of a qwerty keypad, I doubt Blackberry will be around for too much longer to deal with any warranty issues that may arise.
Being very technical I would say the S3 is just a 'smart phone', not sure I would go back to the IPhone now, also I prefer the Galaxy Tab to the IPad though they are both excellent.

Really enjoying my Samsung S3, it's about my 6th android phone, if you include work ones. The extra size of the screen allows it to be a very decent web browsing tool now. Only thing I've paid for is one 99 cent game some years ago. I dropped my last Galaxy Nexus into a swimming pool and had to use my old Galaxy S1 for a few weeks before getting this S3 and couldn't stand going down to a 4" screen (back in 2010!). Couldn't see myself going smaller ever again, just really opens up the usuability of your phone.

Never had issues at all with accesories for my phones, they're just not always available when you walk into the local Telstra store, no biggie just order it from online.

Ive got the Samsung Galaxy s3 and an iphone 4s. One thing I would love to know is where is there the equivalent of a music store aka itunes store on the Samsung ? I have no issues paying for music to download and dont have time to scout through youtube clips or some rar fileshare program to find something I want. I'd love to know if the androids have anything that is as easy as itunes. I havent found it yet.

I think Samsung Music Hub will provide that functionality soon. It's loaded on my S3 but not available in Australia yet. I just use mp3's as I always have , loaded onto the microSD card so can transfer to different devices and add to easily without using software like iTunes.

Back