iphone apps vs android apps

hoo-ee whadda can 'o worms

I have to try and figure out if I am tech savy or not.
Prob not.

Will go in store and have a look n tap

Are you talking about memory or data usage...I was refering to data usage. 500MB is quite a bit if you are only doing some surfing and emails. For example I have 1GB (1000MB) wireless data plan and usually struggle to go over 400M of data a month.

I will be buying at least 8MB of memory.

I don't believe 500 MB is enough for these phones,

Are you talking about memory or data usage...I was refering to data usage. 500MB is quite a bit if you are only doing some surfing and emails. For example I have 1GB (1000MB) wireless data plan and usually struggle to go over 400M of data a month.

I will be buying at least 8MB of memory.
The phones in question check emails,face-book,location automatically with Google maps and other location programs,and can use quite a lot of data.

500 MB would probably be the lowest amount you would use,they also have market place with downloads and programs that run off the internet to be weary of.

The good thing is most plans have over one gig available free with their plan.

OK...many thanks...that is good to know.

How much do you use a month in data?

Is there a way to disable some of the checking?

The phones in question check emails,face-book,location automatically with Google maps and other location programs,and can use quite a lot of data.

500 MB would probably be the lowest amount you would use,they also have market place with downloads and programs that run off the internet to be weary of.

The good thing is most plans have over one gig available free with their plan.

OK...many thanks...that is good to know.

How much do you use a month in data?

Is there a way to disable some of the checking?

To be honest I have never checked my data usage for the month ,I have two gig available to me and have never gone over,

Yes you can disable most of them,but when you use yellow pages for example, it is good to know how far away you are from the service you seek.

Emails are checked automatically and to me that's great.

Google maps is handy also and I couldn't do with out that.

If you turned some of the items off,500MB would get you through and you could update if you want later.

I just checked my data for today and I have used 12MB and I didn't use my maps or any other downloads, so assuming you are careful,30 x 12MB= 360 MB

Thanks.....will monitor it..I am currently on the $49.99 plan...will see if I need to monster $79.99 plan which includes 2GB data and $2000 of calls.

PT_Bear uses his for his business and gets by on 250MB so long as he is not travelling heavily.

To be honest I have never checked my data usage for the month ,I have two gig available to me and have never gone over,

Yes you can disable most of them,but when you use yellow pages for example, it is good to know how far away you are from the service you seek.

Emails are checked automatically and to me that's great.

Google maps is handy also and I couldn't do with out that.

If you turned some of the items off,500MB would get you through and you could update if you want later.

I just checked my data for today and I have used 12MB and I didn't use my maps or any other downloads, so assuming you are careful,30 x 12MB= 360 MB

Now I've thought about it. I don't want to spend extra money. And I don't want to be locked into a contract unless it is the exact model I research and choose.

Thanks for helping me decide...and helping me save money.

As soon as i was able to... i upgraded to a HTC Desire HD, and have not been happier. No more iTunes to cause death to my PC.

Drag and drop files to and from the phone with ease (no stupid "syncing").

Hew Witzl

I just got the HTC as well (Absolutely LOVE it!) and have been trying to figure out how to drag and drop files from laptop to the phone

Is that what you meant?

Would be great if you could share how
:)

Cheers,
A

Out of the box don't know, but I loaded free app called ES File Explorer and it allows connection to shared folders on your local network from phone. Not quite drag and drop, but copy and paste is close enough. To go the other way, see files on the phone from PC, there are a couple of free FTP servers that make allow you connect to phone via browser or a ftp client progam. I'm sure there are better paid for solutions, but have not felt the need to go look.

My Dell Streak did come with a crap file sync/copy program, but only worked on USB not wifi. Never used it. Latest phone is HTC Desire S and I have not bothered looking at the packaged programs as I expect they require some sort of registration or you have to have "friends", be it less dictatorial than apple's offerings.

I work in IT and setup different phones for customers and I think the andriod is better if you are more comfortable with technology. but if you are not then go with the IPhone as it is more user friendly and easy to use.

I work in IT too ...just like half the forum haha

I chose the iPhone because I just want everything to work and don't really feel like playing around with settings like I used to.

They have their limitations, the lack of flash is the only one that annoys me, but overall they just seem to work with very minimal fuss.

Technically speaking, a lot of the Android phones are better, but I don't really care about that stuff anymore, as long as I can get my mail and browse the web ...oh and also make phone calls!

I hear what you say about not having to play with settings and so on.

Despite my little anti-apple swipe, I do think the iPhone is a better phone than Android, actually, much better. It just works, is usually easier to use and its operation well designed. In fact, it may well be the perfect phone... if it wasn't made by Apple.

I recently developed a HTML5 Web App and used the iPhone as the standard as its browser was the most consistent and the general style and appearance by far the best over Android and Blackberry.

does the android pdf reader accept links
the one in the ipad iphone doesnt recognize links

working on what to buy if I cant get a real plain ordinary phone when this one fubars
*edit, explanation, the iphone pdf viewer, by large numbers of complaints, does not recognize links in the pdf as links, they are not clickable
pc mac linux all do, clickable links are clickable inside pdf files

Last edited:
If you mean can you click on a link to a pdf file in the browser, yes. The PDF downloads in the background and is then viewed outside the browser.

I know the original Q was comparing apps but one thing you may want to consider is phone reception. This is a big bugbear for me, especially living in an area where reception can be patchy. I believe the iphone's antenna is not as good as the htc, and when reception is poor is also uses up more battery. Friends with iphones tend to have reception issues at my place.

Back