ipswich

does anyone have any information in regards to IP's in Ipswich.
Have heard that infrastructure is increasing. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanx

Capral Aluminium just signed for their new plant in Ipswich. Qld Govt. added inducements to stop in going to NSW or elsewhere. This brings in about 300 new jobs to the area.

Amberley Airforce Base increased personnel by about 500+ from the southern states. Threats to Australia come from the north not the south!

Many first home buyers from Brisbane moving out - cannot afford Brissie prices any longer. Only 45 mins. in train from Bris. CBD and many commuters.

Bought a couple of houses late last year and values have risen (in my case) by about 20%. Rental yields are greater than you will get in capital cities, and yes, there is also capital growth. Market is really moving. Renovators (sometimes me) are grabbing everything they can, and now it is becoming like Sydney with dumps selling for more than renovated properties!!

Locals reckon there is a narrowing of the corridor between Brissie and Ipswich and industry is looking to relocate to more affordable sites and this is bringing new jobs to the area.

Schools - Ipswich Grammar is one of the most highly regarded schools in the state.

Take a drive over a week end and find out first hand.

PM

Re Ipswich

Was out there over the last couple of days myself. Place has really cleaned up a lot and some new estates are really nice. Easy run from Brissy and rents still good with capital growth doing well.

Take the time to have a look yourself.
Highly Recommend

Freddy

I actually live in Ipswich. I have managed to purchase 3 I.P's over the last few years, all CF+ from the word go. Capital growth over the last 6 months especially has been FANTASTIC. When I purchased these properties I expected very low growth but boy this was wrong.

For example:
Property purchased in 2001 for $82,000
Recent Valuation: $139,000

All this with Rent of originally $155 now $175 and expected to rise.

Another example:
Recently purchased 14 x 1 bed units

Cost $700,000
Rent/year: over $80,000
Allways rented (have seen the proof)

I could go on........

Regards,
Jason

Dear Jason

As an experienced Ipswich investor, and resident, I would like to ask a question if I may:

When I do a search on Ipswich I also get alot of suburbs like Booval included. I gather there are many 'pockets' of Ipswich? Can you recommend some such pockets over others? I ask this question from a tenant point of view ie: where would a tenant prefer to live?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Ally

Ally,

When people refer to 'Ipswich' they generally mean within the Ipswich City Council boundary. I say I live in Ipswich but the suburb is actually called 'Flinders View'. There is also a suburb of Ipswich which covers the inner city (CBD), it also gets a little more confusing as a lot of long time residents class their suburb as Ipswich even though they are in a suburb near town (like Woodend) but outside of the suburb Ipswich.

Suburbs.
You mention Booval and I would think that it is probably the most popular for tenants. It is actually as good as if not better serviced than the Ipswich CBD. The biggest shopping complex 'Booval Fair' is located there as well as medical centres, doctors and also a lot of othe stand alone shops and fast food outlets, video stores and so forth. But probably it's main feature is it is right on the railway line. There are alot of townhouses that have been built in Booval over the last 10 years, up until recently there was a fair oversupply but now it is probably tending more to undersupply. The vacancy rate for Ipswich in general (all suburbs) is 1% - 2%.

Some of the suburbs surrounding Booval have been the ones to really get into. Older suburbs like Silkstone & Newtown have been where you could really pick up a bargain a few years back and be assured of tenants that would pay good money. A lot of people bought houses and 'sat' on them as they were paying for themselves, now they are doing them up and re-valueing or selling and making a VERY tidy profit.

Best Suburbs for tenants????
Booval (house or townhouse)
Silkstone (similar features to Booval but has schools and churches as well)
North Booval (watch for below flood level)
Bundamba (near rail and light industry and schools)
Brassall (new version of Booval on other side of town, no rail though, but newer houses)

Cheap housing areas
Leichhardt (used to be looked down upon but making a comeback, near RAAF base)
One mile (another name for Leichhardt)

I'll leave it at that. I could go on all day.
Any questions, I'm only happy to answer.

Jason

Jason,

What a fantastic post! Full of information. It's great to read reliable information from someone who lives in the area and is willing to be so generous with sharing that info. I know I will come back and read that post again.

Armed with this new knowledge, I will be more specific in my hunt for an IP - hopefully +ve cashflow.

Thanks again, Jason.

Ally

Thanks all. Only too happy to help. I love Ipswich it has been good to me. A little while back I thought I would have to pick up some 'growth' properties away from Ipswich but now things have turned out sweet.

Darryl,
When I originally was constructing my reply I had a couple of sentences on Springfield, but I realized I did not have enough 'first hand' knowledge of the area and so was really just making an uninformed comment. So I decided to delete it.

But i'll tell you what little amount I know and you can make up your own mind, through further research. A colleague of mine has Investments there so I am using some of his knowledge.

Springfield.
Although in the Ipswich City Council boundary, is probably thought of as more part of Brisbane than Ipswich.
A master planned community, not sure of the exact number of homes that will be built there but some HUGE amount. Originally marketed by somebody who didn't do a very good job (sorry). Was thought of by people as the poor mans answer to Forest Lake. Taken over a little while back by Delfin I believe. Has gone though a major change in a short time. Infrastructure is great, Schools,Shopping,Sports fields, Restaraunts and so on.

There are 3 parts to Springfield that I am aware of. The original Springfield, Springfield Lakes (similar theme to Forest Lake) and Bridgewater. Bridgewater is the jewell in the crown, it is an estate built on the Greg Norman designed golf course. If you love golf like me I highly reccomend it, judged by many to be one of the best in the state already and is only 2 years old. Built along the lines of Augusta National. (sorry to sidetrack)

I believe the old Spingfield is sold out and that land is hard to come by in the new sections and that people have to wait a fair amount of time to get a piece. They have a covernant that restricts rental properties to a certain amount. They say this is good for investors as you could charge a higher rent but we will see what happens there.

Building a house for renting is not my cup of tea, but my colleague says that returns are about 6% gross yields. Capital gain figures at this stage are too unreliable for me to comment on. He relies a lot on deprieciation. (I don't).

MY OPINION (could be very wrong)
The people who are living in Springfield are people who want to build a house for the family and accept the commute to work (in Brisbane). I don't think that people would want to rent that far out. ie too far from Brisbane and too far from Ipswich. If it's your dream home you're building then you accept the commute, if it's a house you want to rent then I don't think your so forgiving.

In short, I keep away from there. (for rental properties I mean) If you could get a bit of land at Bridgewater overlooking the golf course I think it will skyrocket. I'd love to live there myself. But another thing I've learnt is that you don't speculate on vacant land as it's all rubbery figures as to what you MAY get for it. (my opinon only, again!!)

This is entirely my opinon and I could be wrong (I have been before) so please don't make up your mind on my opinion only.

any more questions and I am only too happy to answer.

Regards,
Jason

If you look at the statisitics those suburbs between the Ipswich CBD and Brisbane acheive greater CG, and less vacancies.

Springfield: Forest lake has very high percentae of Defence force housing. Both suburbs are in the middle of nowhere with little public transport, little local facilities and minimal local employment. There is a lot of traffic congestion at entrances and exits due to the fact that everyone has to drive to get anywhere.

IMHO the massive advertising campaigns used by the developer must be paid for somewhere (eg. in your purchase price). Capital growth has been very poor according to ABS statistics. Often these type of developments have significant decreases in value in the years after the developer exits. Boronia heights is an example of a suburb created with treed pathways and a nice liveability factor. High proportion of people bought in with no/little deposit, interest rates went up, repossions prices dived -10 years you were lucky to sell your house for 1/2 what it cost you new. I taught in this area and seen the resulting bankruptcies and financial hardships my students had to live through.

Darryl

I bought 3 IPs in Ipswich in Oct 2002 for $65k each. Rental $145pw ea. Bank revalued Apr 2003 @ $80k each. Prices in news now around $100k & up & rentals are rising to around $155pw av.
Useful websites published in local Queensland Times as follows:
www.actionrealty.com.au
www.century21.com.au/ipswich
www.harcourts.com.au
www.ljhooker.com.au/ipswich
www.ipswichwiderealty.com.au
Main Street Realty @ www.winstonglades.com
www.prd.com.au/ipswich
www.professionals.com.au/ipswich
www.stathams.com.au
Cheers Brenda:)

Thank you Brenda and likewise everyone else who has contributed.
the info garnered from this thread has been sensational.

regards

gecho

Back