Iron Ore in free fall - Perth property next!

Lots of people who rode gold back in 1979-1980, when it was at its peak and when the world was suffering from stagflation, would beg to differ. I respectfully submit that you take a look at the saw-tooth shaped chart of gold from back then. It took decades for the gold price to recover from its abyss.

this is not the 80s dude.

80sfashion.jpg

so what if it took decades?

have you seen this graph?

bubblesandmanias.gif

think 2001 - "take-off".

think 2011 - "bear trap", considering we have no media attention, no mania, no enthusiasm.

now take your calcs from $1560 @ "bear trap" and work forwards.

this is not the 80s dude. .

Ah this time it is different. I think I have heard that before.

so what if it took decades? .

As John Maynard Keynes said, in the long run we are all dead.

have you seen this graph? .

I am a klutz with computers. Hit us with some inflation adjusted graphs for gold, natural gas and iron ore going back 40 years and you will clearly see how overpriced these commodities are. No they won't crash soon. But cheap they aint.

I am a klutz with computers. Hit us with some inflation adjusted graphs for gold, natural gas and iron ore going back 40 years and you will clearly see how overpriced these commodities are. No they won't crash soon. But cheap they aint.

if the argument is only that they are not cheap, then yes, i agree.

but cheap compared to what? our devalued currency?

the price of commodities is not going up, our purchasing power with FIAT is being reduced giving the impression of a rising price.

At a function last week where a senior NAB economist spoke and he mentioned iron ore had dropped but was still well outside any point of concern. Appartently the mines breakeven point is $80/tonne to deliver it to China.

It appears this price point isn't going to close anything down yet.

Not looking good for Perth property...though the Perma Bulls will tell you otherwise.
I think most here would agree that I am no property perma bull, but I think there is room for considerable price growth over the next 12-24 months (Perth). The fundamentals were in Perth's favour when I wrote this 8 months ago:

http://www.bullionbaron.com/2012/08/perth-property-on-cusp-of-price-growth.html

And are decidedly better now (some measurements).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-20% push higher in prices over the short term, but over the medium/long term they could certainly be affected by lower commodity prices and/or reduction in mining capex/investment.
The time for gold was 2000. At that time, nobody was bullish on gold.
Last week Market Vane Gold bullish consensus reached lows not seen since 2001, even lower than during the 2008 crash. Other sentiment & oversold technical readings show similar. There is article after article in the MSM about the end of the bull market in Gold. Who is bullish on Gold, besides a few forum nutters?
Pretty close...
Aaron was talking about Gold. Unless you were confirming that Gold is in a bear trap?

Last edited:
Pretty close...

Bubble_Phases_Australian_House_Prices_zps55664021.png

wow that graph is almost a mirror to the Australian Property Market. looks like we are in the "return to normal" phase. Considering our bubble hasn't really "popped", just deflated a little and we have had some modest improvements recently....

Any chance you could share your reasoning on this? Thanks.

Well my reasoning is as follows, assuming of course this graph is an accurate representation of what happens in the property market....

In my view 2007/2008 would be the height of our property market, the "new paradigm". Leading up to that period it would be safe to assume we were in the "mania" phase. Every other TV show was property related, people were flipping properties for huge profit with just a simple paint job and a backyard blitz. The strategy being just to borrow as much money as you possible can, buy anything and you'll make a profit.

Then the GFC hits and our market pulls back, we didn't crash because "we were different", but properties did come off a bit.

we are in a recover phase now in a post GFC world were people expectations have changed, we have a "returned to a new normal".

So by my interpretation of the graph we are sitting at the edge of the cliff...

Now I'm not all Doom and gloom, I'd argue that the "return to mean line" that dotted line should be steeper, so as such, if a "crash" was to occur it won't be as steep as that graph implies.

I'd almost guarantee that if you could find an up to date graph of Australian house prices it would look exactly like the graph above, but would be stopped at the "return to normal" phase

you could very well be correct.

you could also have sold yourself short - the "return to normal" phase could have been Melbourne's mini-boom.

remember, the more money in the system and the faster that money travels, the quicker these cycles will occur.

and with the US Fed printing $85b a month.....

Back