Is a skillion roof worth an extra $25k?

So, my first duplex development is progressing (slowly!) and I'm at the point of engaging a builder for the rear IP dwelling. The quotes have come back from two builders and I'm shocked to say they are $60k more than I'd anticipated (I'm looking at $265,000 for an average spec 4x2)!!

It seems that one of the big ticket items tipping them over the edge is that the design features a skillion roof, as opposed to the traditional pitched roof (this being a 'rare thing' in WA). I've been told going with a traditional roof will reduce the cost by over $20+k.

So essentially what I am wondering is, is it worth keeping the skillion roof, or amending the design and saving $20K. The property is purely for investment purposes, will be a rental and a long term hold, although I suppose is is conceivable I may sell it at some stage.

I really think the skillion design adds a lot to the house (plans attached*) - it is a north facing outlook and features clearstory windows and so opens up a whole lot of light into the main living/dining/kitchen room and will create nice high raked celings in these spaces. But is it worth the extra price tag for an IP?

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

*FYI it goes without saying but these plans and all designs are copyrighted.

Attachments

• 130521_PLAN_REV4.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,221
  • 130521 ELEVATION_REV4 .pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,874
Last edited:
A few more quick details on the property/house that should be considered:

*It is located in Bayswater, WA.
*Median house price (for Bayswater) is $535,000 but many of these are large blocks, not subdivided duplexes like the property in question.
*Median weekly rent is $300.
*I am anticipating a weekly rental value of $450-$550pw for the finished property.

It is a nice design but i dont know if it's entirely appropriate for the area. what's this part of bayswater like? what do you think the homes will be worth at the end? on the one hand you could be spending too much, on the other if you do hit the mark you could end up having people paying you a fair bit for the home as there anrent too many architecturally interesting homes in the area. as you are going to hold on to them though i wonder if the valuers will simply just compare it to the stock standard 4x2s in the area.

re cost of building i personally dont see how it can be $265k for a standard spec but im no expert.

on another note, id be questioning the logic of having a 16sqm living room in a 4 bed house as it seems inadequate to me.

lastly, have you got your DA? did bayswater approve a 1m wide store?

Last edited:
It doesn't really add anything.

it potentially adds a fair bit in terms of light, volume and architectural interest, the question is just whether or not it is worth it in terms of $$

even if that adds $20k though where is the balance of the $245k coming from?

I have seen, large number of skillions that leak horribly at the base of every pitch
warehouses, schools, homes, it doesnt take much when the builder doesnt care,
for there to be limited seal that lets go in the first storm,
narrow (cheap) gutters only 2" under the roof in 7[sup]o[/sup] pitch so there is only about ¼" water height before it runs over into the insulation and gyprock
sin 7[sup]o[/sup] = 0.1218 a 2" deep water trough has to go 16" up under the roof sheet

If you have a good builder, or can be there to insist, on proper gutter, it will look purty noice
why are construction costs higher?
just because the builder doesnt know how to do it?
or because the ceiliing follows the roof line, so they cant hide as much crappy joists in the roof space and have to use dress timber

Last edited:
My friend and her mum live on that street. I've been looking at properties for sale in Bris and I'm finding the skill ion roof properties don't sell well.

My friend and her mum live on that street. I've been looking at properties for sale in Bris and I'm finding the skill ion roof properties don't sell well.

Interesting to note INVSTOR, I'd assumed that if anything the skillion would improve saleablility (if not sale price). Architectural uniqueness aside, a light, bright, high-ceilinged and passive solar (if correctly oriented) house must count for something, right?

I have seen, large number of skillions that leak horribly at the base of every pitch...
If you have a good builder, or can be there to insist, on proper gutter, it will look purty noice
Hmmmm, well the builder has been recommended to me (by my project manager - I know, sounds 'dodgy' but I trust him...to some extent), and at these costs he isn't some bottom rung volume house builder, but honestly who knows!

why are construction costs higher?
just because the builder doesnt know how to do it?
or because the ceiliing follows the roof line, so they cant hide as much crappy joists in the roof space and have to use dress timber
Most bulders in Perth will charge you extra for a skillion just because it isn't what they build day all day every day. In this case though the skillion plus clearstory windows apparently require extra metal reinforcing rather than just brick, which has shot the price up.

I'm guessing the skillion roof houses you say aren't selling well are in older areas and not new modern built houses?

There are older suburbs with a fair number of skillion roofs dotted about that were hard to sell because people wanted the more "modern" rooflines. I would not have touched this style 30 years ago, but I would have guessed they are much more saleable now that the skillion roof is back in vogue. I'd buy one now because I reckon it is much easier to update a skillion roof 50s house than a 50s box style house with regular roof.

It is a nice design but i dont know if it's entirely appropriate for the area. what's this part of bayswater like? what do you think the homes will be worth at the end? on the one hand you could be spending too much, on the other if you do hit the mark you could end up having people paying you a fair bit for the home as there anrent too many architecturally interesting homes in the area. as you are going to hold on to them though i wonder if the valuers will simply just compare it to the stock standard 4x2s in the area.

My thoughts entirely Sanj. The street/area is full of older homes on big blocks but it is rapidly becoming a bit of a duplex hotspot (for better or worse!), so plenty of new rear dwellings going up which seem to be generally of a good standard of style and quality. In the scheme of Bayswater though if i'm honest i'd say it is a little cheaper than the parts closer to the station/Maylands. I was aiming for about $450k resale, but that was based on sale figures a year ago (and on a lower build cost) so I should probably update my research.

My thoughts are that even if it would sell for a bit more, and rent quickly, i'm not sure if it will rent for MORE. Any valuers or PMs out there who want to weigh in on the discussion?

re cost of building i personally dont see how it can be $265k for a standard spec but im no expert.
Needless to say I was surprised too. I was expecting $200k +/- $15k. I should say though it is probably a bit above 'standard' spec: granite benchtops, reasonable paving, etc. However it is by no means a luxury spec.

on another note, id be questioning the logic of having a 16sqm living room in a 4 bed house as it seems inadequate to me.
Noted, i'll have a closer look.

lastly, have you got your DA? did bayswater approve a 1m wide store?
Yep, got approval last week (yipeeeeee - only now I'm holding things up deciding on builders!). I'm told Bayswater will accept a 1m storage if it is in a garage, accessible along its longer edge, and lockable.

surely you dont need to be a rocket scientist to realise the reason why a skillion roof costs more than a traditional hip or gable roof is because it takes longer to build and there are more materials involved.

almost anyone can throw roof trusses up onto wall frames and pitch a roof this way a skillion roof is alot more involved

I'm guessing the skillion roof houses you say aren't selling well are in older areas and not new modern built houses?

There are older suburbs with a fair number of skillion roofs dotted about that were hard to sell because people wanted the more "modern" rooflines. I would not have touched this style 30 years ago, but I would have guessed they are much more saleable now that the skillion roof is back in vogue. I'd buy one now because I reckon it is much easier to update a skillion roof 50s house than a 50s box style house with regular roof.

The suburbs I was looking at were Algester, Rochedale South and Capalaba. Most were white ceiling with dark beams. I was wondering if white beams would be a more modern look? It also left me wondering if it would be hotter in summer and cooler in winter. Anyone know the answers?

The suburbs I was looking at were Algester, Rochedale South and Capalaba. Most were white ceiling with dark beams. I was wondering if white beams would be a more modern look? It also left me wondering if it would be hotter in summer and cooler in winter. Anyone know the answers?

modern skillion roofs generally dont have exposed beams

in terms of hot/cold, it would depend on orientation, ventilation and insulation. if not done well then yes it could be worse than a traditional roof/ceiling but if done properly it will perform better

my perth/highgate development has raked ceilings and clerestory windows for the 2 upstairs units pitching from 3m up to 4.9m and 3.4m up to 4.9m for the second unit and we got 8 star energy rating so it will perform well in summer and winter.

Ahhh... different to what I was picturing. I was thinking of Balmoral and Hawthorne where there are quite a few weatherboard 50s style houses with the skillion sloping side to side and the lower side incorporating an open carport. These were hard to sell 20 years ago (according to agents).

*FYI it goes without saying but these plans and all designs are copyrighted.
Looks ok the only problem I can see is you would have to run a box gutter off the roof section,and also be very carefull with the way those plans are set everybody knows the location even the"OS" gentlemen-ladies that seem to target WA/s Titles holder,,maybe take the location off the plans..

I can't stand skillion roofs on a house. Hard to construct, have to be tied down to the structure with straps (has the builder done it properly?) because of the lift they generate during strong winds, heaps of them end up with internal gutters, which would have to be the worst idea I've seen in building design, no easy access to or venting of the roof space for maintenance, etc etc. The list goes on...

High ceilings and clerestory windows to the right orientation can be built cheaper with a traditional pitched roof, depending on the height restrictions, particularly when eaves are involved. Councils I've come across let you have extra height for a pitched roof anyway.

I just see them as an architect's dream because of the "look" but they have no practical benefit that I can see. There was a phase in the 60s / 70s where architects got stuck into them and we seem to be going through a similar phase now. Then people avoided them for 20 / 30 years because of the practical problems. Now the pendulum has swung again... and don't get me started on render! Another triumph of "the look" over substance! The pendulum will swing back on that as well in ten years time when all the paintwork starts to peel and nobody wants to stump up the cash to get their whole house painted.

This is just one of the reasons I have an aversion to working with architects - they just love spending your money on these sorts of ideas to do something "different". \rant

Back