Is a skillion roof worth an extra $25k?

It's a tough one in this instance. So I'd look at both options and see how it works.

If we take the average Aussie family with 2 kids then they can keep bed 3 spare and not worry about it.

It also affects air con, heating and noise control.

Noise: In terms of noise how is any child going to go to sleep with a door off the living area.

Air con/heating: a split system in the living area is going to struggle if everything is open.

Would it be better to turn Bed 3 into kitchen area and put bed 3 where kitchen is with door off the hallway?

It comes down to target market and neighbourhood demographics.

that is my concern here. would a typical australian family with 2 kids in 2013 want a 16sqm living room and a combined bath/laundry?

i think the architect has missed the mark a bit here but to be fair we dont know what the brief was.

:D

you know im not in the least way being serious right?

more a comment re how many people still dont take women seriously in the property industry which is crazy to me considering how many astute investors and developers there are out there who are women. you and MTR are perfect examples, i pay a fair bit of attention to both your opinions

I know we have a mutual admiration club going on ;)

Some great points so far guys.

I am definitely steering towards having the skillion roof removed from the plans now.

As for the other points I'll have to get the tracing paper out tonight and have a look. Might as well make a few changes now if I have to get the roof re-drafted

Any more thoughts (on the roof or anything else) definitely welcome.

It comes down to target market and neighbourhood demographics.

I'd love to get a family in there, but I know a few people in the area have been finding there is a market for sharehouse living.

One other point I've been tossing up: whether to put an electric gate on the front (rather than a roller door on the garage) so the entire front/back outdoor area reads as secure 'private space'. I think this would be a good addition, but for the cost of an electric gate i'm not sure it will return the same in rent (at $6000 for a gate, at 5.5% interest it would only need to fetch an extra $6+ per week in rent).

As an update for anyone interested: I have gotten a third quote for the build, which came in at approx $238,000 fully finished with the skillion roof, or around $225,000 without.

I'm going to meet with them this week and discus a few things, but at $20,000 cheaper for a similar spec it is certainly looking tempting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will be doing a bit of a redesign with the builder to improve a few of the points you raised. Cheers.

that is a $13k difference, for the difference in volume, natural light and ventilation it may be worth it, ultimately you will have to make the call. aesthetically it should be quite nice too.

that is a $13k difference, for the difference in volume, natural light and ventilation it may be worth it, ultimately you will have to make the call. aesthetically it should be quite nice too.

Indeed. Certainly getting closer to the 'tempting' mark, however these are just ballpark figures, on the phone the agent said "take around $15k off if you loose the skillion", but I'm yet to get a proper full quote so I guess I'll khave a better idea when I sit down with the builder.

Back