Is a skillion roof worth an extra $25k?

My friend and her mum live on that street. I've been looking at properties for sale in Bris and I'm finding the skill ion roof properties don't sell well.

Brisbane weather is a bit different to Perth. Brisbane can be subject to tropical downpours and unless gutters and downpipes are very well designed some skillion roofs simply can't cope with extremely heavy rain events.
Marg

Brisbane weather is a bit different to Perth. Brisbane can be subject to tropical downpours and unless gutters and downpipes are very well designed some skillion roofs simply can't cope with extremely heavy rain events.
Marg

If I ever owned a property with a skillion roof I'd make sure it had one slope and no box gutters.

Marg
That's the problem people find out after the first rainfall early start of summer in Qld,the normal 150mmQuad gutters just can't take the flow rate
depending on the fall in the roof line it backs up and goes into the building that's why so many have a S/S Box gutter system with large downpipes..

Interesting to note INVSTOR, I'd assumed that if anything the skillion would improve saleablility (if not sale price). Architectural uniqueness aside, a light, bright, high-ceilinged and passive solar (if correctly oriented) house must count for something, right?

modern skillion roofs generally dont have exposed beams

in terms of hot/cold, it would depend on orientation, ventilation and insulation. if not done well then yes it could be worse than a traditional roof/ceiling but if done properly it will perform better

my perth/highgate development has raked ceilings and clerestory windows for the 2 upstairs units pitching from 3m up to 4.9m and 3.4m up to 4.9m for the second unit and we got 8 star energy rating so it will perform well in summer and winter.

Thanks, I just had a look at Defination of Skillion.
I'm not sure what these are called now but this is what I thought it meant. I guess it still goes to show though as trends change it could be risky.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-capalaba-114265451
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-algester-114417495
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-algester-114162391

Do you realise from your pdf file names in post 1 and suburb name in post 2 we now know the address?QUOTE]

Ahhh so foolish of me. I actually sat there last night and thought 'hmmm should I be concerned about having my address on these' but figured it was just the same as a house plan+address being on realestate.com.au? So rather than wait till the morning at work to edit them I foolishly uploaded them as is. I have to admit the whole title fraud issue never occured to me (I was thinking more of ppl ripping off building materials etc, but again all you have to do is drive down the street to find 5 other building sites.

I have now updated the plans. Thanks for the heads up DEC.

Me personally, given your plans i wouldnt bother with a skillion roof.
This house is purely a money making investment vehicle, not a "live in it an love it" home. Hence, do what works best for the numbers.

Look at it long term - if you plan to hold the property for 10 years say, will you get any higher rent to cover the extra $25k spent?

What about looking at the opportunity cost - could that $25K be spent elsewhere, such as the deposit on your next IP, or put against your home to reduce your home mortgage?

Will you get capital growth on that extra $25k over the period you hold the house for?

There's nothing wrong with box gutters when they are designed and built in accordance with Australian standards.

Unfortunately, they rarely are.

I say this having worked in an engineering consultancy and designed many box gutters and drainage systems according to standards.

I have also worked as a labourer for a roof plumber for many years, and know that it is very rare for any forethought or design to be put into the box gutter by the builder. I have been party to some horrendous constructions that I can guarantee will fail, simply because builders (or their designers/draftys/archis) do not plan for them and they are far too often an afterthought.

You should see the horrendous design I witnessed a few weeks ago, a hip-end roof with three sides flowing into parapet walls, no slope in the guttering, no rainheads or overflow devices at all. I didn't build this one, I was on the roof for another job, but all I could ask was "Where is the water supposed to go?"

Ok, I am going to be brutally honest so take it with a pinch of salt.

I think you have done yourself a massive disservice by having a combo bathroom/laundry in a 4 x 2. What was your designer thinking?

Right next to it you have the worlds biggest toilet and linen cupboard which could easily be the laundry area and the bathroom returned to being a bathroom. I would try and change this for building license if possible.

The best thing about the design is the nice large bedroom sizes but it's been at the detriment of the living areas.

As to pricing, I don't think you should go skillion if it's going to increase the price that much. Is the $265 include everything to turnkey or is there more on top of that?

This is probably why I don't like using design firms then going to builders for one offs as they tend to mark up individual quotes by a lot when in reality the same size house could be built cheaper. Builders often factor in 30% more when quoting off DA plans (working drawings are more accurate for pricing)

For a house that size and turnkey I would expect about $220-250k

If you are after opinions. I like the look of a lot of skillions but not all.
For an investment property I definitely don't think it is worth the extra dollars.

Ok, I am going to be brutally honest so take it with a pinch of salt.
Honesty appreciated - if I wanted someone to just tell me I was doing the right thing, I would have asked my girlfriend (no wait, I did!).

I think you have done yourself a massive disservice by having a combo bathroom/laundry in a 4 x 2. What was your designer thinking?
Interesting. I have come around to combo laundry bathrooms over the last year. I hate living in them myself, but typically because many examples are done porely and are aesthetically unpleasant (you feel like you are showering in the laundry). However I've since seen a bunch of examples where the laundry facilities are entirely hidden (behind cupboard doors, as in the Euro laundry), the sinks are porcelain, and benchtops are stone or something nice. Done well, about the only noticeable difference is that your bathroom sink is huge (you can opt for two different sinks, but to me that makes it feel more like a laundry). So on balance I think the space it saves is worth it. You are right though, there is a lot of space outside the toilet so possibly it could have been designed better.

Is the $265 include everything to turnkey or is there more on top of that?
The $265 is turnkey, but I still need to fork out for fencing and site works.

For an apartment or small house I think it's fine to combine bathroom and laundry and that is what I'm doing for my Highgate project - 2 have bathroom combo laundry bathroom and one has a hallway cupboard laundry.
BUT for a 4x2 I think it's a mistake.
You could easily turn study nook to linen cupboard and reduce width of bathroom and add a basin. Then create a laundry with toilet or similar.

For the living area I would make an entertainment unit alcove by pulling out to eaves a section. It would make the area a bit bigger.

FWIW I agree with WM, laundry is inadequate. She's pretty good at this kind of thing for a girl, I'd be going back to the architect if I were you

FWIW I agree with WM, laundry is inadequate. She's pretty good at this kind of thing for a girl, I'd be going back to the architect if I were you

Lol, what does that mean? I would have thought women would be better designers as we (or maybe it's just me) does all the washing, cooking, cleaning.

Ok next thoughts:
- flip the entrance to bed 3 so it's on other side closer to bed 4 (you could possibly then have a long wall there an create an alcove and make the larger area the living and put dining area up the top). Also makes the bedroom less directly off the living areas.
- consider putting a wall/hallway outside Bed 3/4 to give them more privacy
- don't indent the doorways to bed 3 and 4 - it makes the door swing move into the furnishable area of the room and you lose 820mm of furnishable wall.
- consider making bed 2 smaller - ie 3.0 x 2.8 and giving that 300mm to the kitchen area
- is there a sliding door from the living areas to outside?

Ah Sanj - he is such the master of the backwards compliment :rolleyes:

:D

you know im not in the least way being serious right?

more a comment re how many people still dont take women seriously in the property industry which is crazy to me considering how many astute investors and developers there are out there who are women. you and MTR are perfect examples, i pay a fair bit of attention to both your opinions

Ok next thoughts:
- consider putting a wall/hallway outside Bed 3/4 to give them more privacy

Hi Myf, that is an interesting point. At what point do you sacrifice open space for privacy? I for one try to minimise wasted space (hallways) but i can see the privacy issue being a concern. Do you think the rental income and sale price (if sold) would be higher with the dividing wall?

Hi Myf, that is an interesting point. At what point do you sacrifice open space for privacy? I for one try to minimise wasted space (hallways) but i can see the privacy issue being a concern. Do you think the rental income and sale price (if sold) would be higher with the dividing wall?

It's a tough one in this instance. So I'd look at both options and see how it works.

If we take the average Aussie family with 2 kids then they can keep bed 3 spare and not worry about it.

It also affects air con, heating and noise control.

Noise: In terms of noise how is any child going to go to sleep with a door off the living area.

Air con/heating: a split system in the living area is going to struggle if everything is open.

Would it be better to turn Bed 3 into kitchen area and put bed 3 where kitchen is with door off the hallway?

It comes down to target market and neighbourhood demographics.

Back