Is anybody remotely interested in the Comm Games?

they are already accusing the lack of facilities is the fault of "forgieners having to high a standard".

comes back to the "how many people on planet earth" doco that was on sbs last night .... india will be one of the worst countries for population growth - and they are one of the ones that can least afford it. can you imagine a doubling of the crowding that india already has within 40 years?

gotta feel sorry for those indians that really tried to get the games up and running well - the whole country has been humilated on the world stage over the fiasco.

i like the comm games.....appears i'm in the minority.

better coverage of track and field at the comm games - you don't get to see much javelin, shot put, discus, hammerthrow, high/long/triple jump etc at the olympics.

i also really like the velodrome events, diving and gymnastics (another one that doesn't get much olympics coverage).

is also nice not to see the stars and stripes everywhere you turn.

i like the comm games.....appears i'm in the minority.

better coverage of track and field at the comm games - you don't get to see much javelin, shot put, discus, hammerthrow, high/long/triple jump etc at the olympics.

i also really like the velodrome events, diving and gymnastics (another one that doesn't get much olympics coverage).

is also nice not to see the stars and stripes everywhere you turn.

Agreed, I also enjoy the majority of 'smaller, less coveraged' events.

I love the commonwealth games.
Great chance to watch the lesser known and covered sports. Also love the Olympics, but its kinda nice not to have the yanks there. Nice to see the little countries who don't have large amounts of cash to spend on their athletes get out and have a go.

oh dear - news just in that the ceiling has collapsed in the weight lifting arena ...

p.s. i like the cycling also. yes, great to see the lesser known countries have a chance. i loved watching the update of what olympians are up to the other week and to see eddie the eel (remember him, who trained in the hotel swimming pool and came a fantastic really really last) - his achievements caused the government in his country to build an olympic sized pool and his achievements are a huge motivation.

oh dear - news just in that the ceiling has collapsed in the weight lifting arena ...

It's all a bit of a concern and raises a big Q mark on the entire event.

I know I wouldn't like to be sitting in that stadium with thousands of other spectators (will it be a blast or will it be a crash :eek:).

Only interest is to gain insight into their economy.
Jim Rogers reckons India will never emulate China because basically, Indian culture is slacker than Chinese. I spent 9 months there in the 90s and agree.

I was hoping things might have improved but the fiasco with the athletes village shows the rot is as thick as ever.

It is a pity many of the smart ones don't hang around and change things for the better, rather than hightailing it to the west.

Agree.

Their cultures are extremely different. Especially in regards to education.

The smart ones don't hang around because they know this. :eek:

Regards JO

Looks in much better shape now from this video.

Video 1

Also, security arrangements for athletes and the athetes village seems good enough.

Video 2 Scroll to the bottom for the video link.

There is way the world does things and then there is a way India does things. LOL

The games are really interesting this time around, the media must be loving it. I just hope games are conducted safely without any major mishaps.

Cheers,
Oracle.

So embarrassing for India.

Saw some medals awarded for swimming & person holding the 'Aus' placard looked like they didn't know where to stand!

Soo not interested!!! More interested in whether the RB raises IR....or maybe a bombing would pique my interest...know that's not politically correct though ;)

it's where we get to test our up-and-coming athletes in a world-class competition. moreso than just the pan-pacs for swimming or whatever.

i think it's great we get exposure to olympic-class events every 2 years. probably explains why we're so consistent at the Olypmic Games. While we will never beat the USA / Germany etc i think for our population base we do extraordinarily well.

with swimmers dropping like flies with delhi belly, the indians are now forced to test the pool water.

gotta fell sorry for them.

I've decided to go to the next Comm Games. Manchester, I think?

I reckon a medal would look good alongside my school sports trophies.

Not sure what sport to win it in yet. Something that doesn't involve early training hours. Maybe badminton.

Back