Is "bronze over brass" okay for a statue?

Okay.... here is one from left field. I have joined an antiques forum and asked this, but no answers so far, so perhaps someone here can help me.

I fell in love with a bronze bust of an eastern chap and want to buy it. It is one metre tall and weighs about 40kg and will cost me $800. I was told today that it is in fact brass with bronze over the top.

It is a modern copy, not shiny and new looking (which is good) and I am not buying it because I want an "investment" piece, but because I just love it. I was told that a full bronze piece would be way more expensive. I have looked at lots of sites and "bronze" statues range from $50 to $7000 and higher for a "real McCoy" and genuine signed pieces.

I really don't care about it being brass, but I don't want to clean it one day and see that the bronze is paper thin. I was ready to hand over my credit card details but now I am a bit hesitant.

I still love it though, and I have itchy fingers with that credit card.

I was told to use furniture polish to freshen it up and remove shop dust etc. I don't mind the "old and dusty" look but I just don't know how thick the bronze layer would be and don't want to rub it off. It will be couriered so I cannot see it "in the flesh".

This is a bit of a stream of consciousness post I suppose, but I'm curious to know if anybody knows much about brass/bronze and its care and cleaning and if I should avoid "bronze over brass".

Hi Wylie

I have an Asian manufactured piece about 650mm tall that looks like it is brass with bronze detail bits (ie headress, jewellry etc). I think she is the Goddess of Mercy???- not 100% sure. It is not 100% bronze over brass as yours appears to be. Brass as you probably know is copper and zinc and bronze is copper and tin, which is much harder , tougher and stronger. Bronze stays a yellow/gold colour whereas brass tends to weather (patina?) into a dull coppery colour.

Bronze I would think would cost more to cast and work than the softer brass. :)

Back