Is global warming making pools more desirable?

Hi all,

I'm building a pool in my PPOR in Brisbane outskirts. Although it is a purely lifestyle decision and after reading several articles that agree pools don't add value to properties, I went to re.com.au and noticed that houses with pools are listed significantly higher than similar properties without a pool. Is that a sign that things are changing (in hot sunny QLD anyway)

My understanding is that pools in QLD are quite common. Elsewhere (such as Melbourne), not so much.

I don't think climate change with an increase in temperature of 2-3 degrees is going to influence peoples decisions in this respect.

I think pools are always going to appeal to some people and perhaps they are more appealing in the middle of a heat wave!

I made an offer on a place last week that had a pool, but it was the entire package that made the home appealing. I'm fairly neutral on pools but this place had solar PV (which would help reduce the running cost of pool pumps) a deck and pergola which connected well with the pool and overall was beautifully renovated.

My understanding is that pools in QLD are quite common. Elsewhere (such as Melbourne), not so much.

I don't think climate change with an increase in temperature of 2-3 degrees is going to influence peoples decisions in this respect.

They are not so common. I'd say only 10% of the dwellings in the region have pools. That's only my observation and not an official statistic anyway.

I think pools are always going to appeal to some people and perhaps they are more appealing in the middle of a heat wave!

I made an offer on a place last week that had a pool, but it was the entire package that made the home appealing. I'm fairly neutral on pools but this place had solar PV (which would help reduce the running cost of pool pumps) a deck and pergola which connected well with the pool and overall was beautifully renovated.

You just described my PPOR after the backyard renovation :)

We hope we will have a wow factor.

It may decrease the pool of people interested.

Yes, I know. We have no intention to sell in the next 15 years anyway. That's when the kids will be adults and will be kicked out the house :D. When I say " add value", I mean more in an equity extraction way.

Last edited:
I dont think houses with pools really make a ripple in the sales data

Water you talking about?? If you're a bit wet behind the ears maybe. With a stroke of luck it can make waves.

newbietoinvesting: Wouldnt global warming have to exist first?

I spent half my childhood in a pool, either in my own back yard or a mates. It seems every third house had a pool in Perth back in the 70s and 80s.

I would love to "plonk" one in the backyard but the right side of my brain screams liability and the left side says, yea get one, the kids will love it and so will you, which is true.

The window of opportunity is before your kids hit the teenage years as they loose interest according to friends with teenagers.

The people from mother England will pay a premium for a pool in Perth I'm lead to believe.

Back