is it owner or tenant responsiblity

Hi All,

Regards to changing Down Light Bulb, is it the owner responsibility to do it and pay for it or is it tenant? It's only a light bulb.

I think there was a thread on this a while ago & the upshot of it was it was the owner's responsibility :(

(Sorry - have a search on here. It wasn't a downlight, but it was a light bulb.)

Hello lolipss

I disagree with mary&mat. We have been landlords in Victoria since 1994 and have never been required to change a lightglobe

We also have properties managed by a PM and leased to Office of Housing, Victoria

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=670423#post670423

OoH clearly advise their tenants that changing light globes is the Tenant's responsibility

Changing light globes is part of general housekeeping. Light globes are not hot water services, heating systems or other parts of the house itself. Light globes have a consumer lifespan and it is the consumer who replaces them.

Cheers
Kristine

We have one property where the lightbulbs are difficult to reach, as they are 11 ft ceilings. We change the lightbulbs here.Other than that, we consider lightbulbs to be a tenant's responsibility.

If it's in Victoria it should say in the lease that it's the tenants responsibility. Double check yours, but when I sign up new tenants I always point this particular paragraph out.

Although as Kathryn said, if there are very high ceilings which require more than standing on a chair to change it may be worth you getting someone out to change them.

This is covered under the new NSW Tenancy Legislation.

Clause 16.4 of the new Standard Tenancy Agreement

16.4 that it is the tenant’s responsibility to replace light globes and batteries for smoke detectors on the residential premises

Clause 18.2 The Landlord agrees......

18.2 to make sure that all light fittings on the residential premises have working light globes on the commencement of the tenancy

16.4 that it is the tenant’s responsibility to replace light globes and batteries for smoke detectors on the residential premises

18.2 to make sure that all light fittings on the residential premises have working light globes on the commencement of the tenancy

So long as the agent notes that these are workingin the inspectation report.

In WA its stated as the tennants responsibility to change light bulbs in my contract. But having said that when I moved into this rental there were a few that didn't work.

Having said that the ones that didn't work I won't be changing at all once I move out. only replacing the obvious ones.

So that means all globes should be working when a tenant moves out. Can you take 80c off the bond if needed?

Ha. Ours cost $12 each to replace. The owner decided on masses of stupid little halogen 50W things which are a bu%%er to get out of the stupid little sockets and a couple burn out every month.

It's just one of those things that you don't really notice (like whether insect screens are on windows) in a 20 minute inspection.

Ha. Ours cost $12 each to replace. The owner decided on masses of stupid little halogen 50W things which are a bu%%er to get out of the stupid little sockets and a couple burn out every month.
Yah, curses on people who choose light fittings with expensive/unusual bulbs! We had a rental 13 years ago which was so expensive on fittings - $20 per week for bulbs, I kid you not - that now, the type of bulb is a discriminator when choosing light fittings and lamps for my own home.

Yah, curses on people who choose light fittings with expensive/unusual bulbs! We had a rental 13 years ago which was so expensive on fittings - $20 per week for bulbs, I kid you not - that now, the type of bulb is a discriminator when choosing light fittings and lamps for my own home.

Same here. We have changed light fittings for one rental because every time the bulb blew it was another $15. We decided it would be cheaper to change over the light than keep putting new bulbs in. Tenants complained about having to pay that much for bulbs..... fair enough too.

It's just one of those things that you don't really notice (like whether insect screens are on windows) in a 20 minute inspection.

What is amazing with these little suckers is some last a looong time. Most do not.

Same brand same method of installation some just seem to be much more long lasting. One in particular never needed changing in 2 years. I don't know what they did to make that one?

Why can't they make them all like the good ones?

We had the three main living areas with several sets of three of these little beuts you are talking about and the first few times we bought one or two and replaced after being there a month or so but by the end of the 2 years we rented there we were buying in lots of10 or so because we would go through them in about 2 to 3 months anyway.

One thing on them; like headlights it is important you do not touch the globe, it reduces the longevity. Apart from that though you just want to try to pick survivors. I don't know how that is done, but some of them certainly are much better than others...

Why can't they make them all like the good ones?

Well, you see, the thing was, that most were made by Harry - the full time guy who took his instructions from the warranty engineers and solicitors writing the warranty terms and conditions. He used wire so thin that mozzies used to use it for flossing their teeth.

Couple of years ago on a Wednesday afternoon he got sick from eating a dodgy curry from The Indian Palace down the road from work. Barry the cloth eared apprentice had to step in and take over. Unfortunately Barry started using the thick fencing wire, and so all of his bulbs are lasting years.

The warranty engineers and solicitors running the light bulb company were so furious with Barry they ran his @$$ off. The future revenue he cost them by customers not having to replace blown bulbs is going to do alot of damage to the company for many years to come.

Fear not though, the light bulb company made some permanent changes with some wide ranging consequences ;
  • Harry is back in the chair full time pumping out delicate little bulbs again
  • Harry isn't allowed to eat curries anymore
  • Barry will never work in the industry again
  • The mozzie dentist is over the moon as all his customers have filthy teeth again

My last house had 12 foot ceilings throughout and the tenant would have been under 5 foot. So we changed the globes.

Current house has 11 foot ceilings in 2 rooms and not much lower in the others, when we got the house rewired we made sure the lights were all put on those dangly cord fittings that you can reach standing on a chair. Been here 2 years and haven't had a single globe blow though.

Back