is it possible to install carpet over tiles?

In our new PPOR, the downstairs bedrooms have black tiles. Its quite a cold house and these bedrooms are also quite dark. So, I was planning to buy some rugs to put on the floors.
But I thought it would be better if we could install carpet over the top of the tiles.. it would be nice to do it properly with underlay etc, and we have to recarpet the upstairs bedrooms anyway.
Is that possible?

Hi Pennyk,

It most definately is. You glue the smooth edge down with a good adhesive, Ripper Gripper is great for this. Then just need to wack a couple of nails/clouts into the grout joints. Need to let it set really well before kicking on the carpet. This is info from a carpet layer friend of mine.

Good luck

Slingshot

Thanks for the replies.

We went to a couple of carpet places today.
One said yes, but it costs extra because of how they attach the edging.
The other said yes, but its not advised, because the carpet will tend to get ridges in it.
So, i guess once we are ready to do upstairs, we'll get someone in to look at it.

Thanks for the replies.

We went to a couple of carpet places today.
One said yes, but it costs extra because of how they attach the edging.
The other said yes, but its not advised, because the carpet will tend to get ridges in it.
So, i guess once we are ready to do upstairs, we'll get someone in to look at it.

If laid correctly, shouldn't be a problem. The entire original downstairs portion of my house was tiled and had carpet and floating timber floors laid over the tiles 10 years ago without any issues.

In our new PPOR, the downstairs bedrooms have black tiles. Its quite a cold house and these bedrooms are also quite dark. So, I was planning to buy some rugs to put on the floors.

Why didn't you dropped the idea of rugs, it will look quite good with dark room if you place shag rugs. If you are thinking for carpet covering it will be too long procedure. Just take a second thought on my opinion.

Back