Is it that bad to live on a pension ?

Investing of any kind carries risks, especially during this GFC. And I hope I can come out the other end relatively okay. Just thinking of the worst scenario, if all my investments tanked or I am unable to work and I/we have to live on a pension or some kind of government sponsored payments. Pension is just under $500 pw for a couple living in own home. After the kids leave, our weekly grocery bill will be around $100 (now $250). So it leaves roughly $400 pw, plus there is discount for transport, utilities, and medical etc. If you have a LOC on your home to pay for the extras/emergency, so is living on a pension really that bad ? It is a hassle free living, you no longer have to constantly worring about fixing toilets or the share prices dive etc,. All this talk of not enough workers to afford the pension is just scare mongering, this country can simply import more workers, like what we are doing now.

I could survive and be happy on the pension, I imagine - but I'd prefer not to have to find out. ;) It would definitely require major adjustments.

people on the pension find it hard to afford anything
entertainment
clothes
supplements
medications
repairs
operations
household goods
cars
anything

francine.

Well we are nearly 30 and hope to retire in 10 years well at least back to working part time/casual in something cruisey (easy going)
No idea when the pension kicks in, but i don't want to keep working for that long :p

My concern at my age is.....
Will there be a pension for me to retire onto?
Prehaps there wont be so many extra cheaper options, like medical and transport.

My concern at my age is.....
Will there be a pension for me to retire onto?

why do you think compulsory super was brought in??

in the long term it will save future govts billions of taxpayers dollars....

compulsory savings are good for the country and individuals concerned if managed right ie: dont have all your eggs in one basket as most do ie: stockmarket.many options aavailable including buying quality art

pensions will only be around for the "real" needy, the rest of us will just have to live off our own nest eggs i suspect..

why do you think compulsory super was brought in??

in the long term it will save future govts billions of taxpayers dollars....

compulsory savings are good for the country and individuals concerned if managed right ie: dont have all your eggs in one basket as most do ie: stockmarket.many options aavailable including buying quality art

pensions will only be around for the "real" needy, the rest of us will just have to live off our own nest eggs i suspect..

Exactly :)

Just thinking of the worst scenario, if all my investments tanked or I am unable to work and I/we have to live on a pension or some kind of government sponsored payments.

so is living on a pension really that bad ?

YES, YES, YES

I (unfortunately) know literally thousands of pensioners through my career.

I can promise you; they are a miserable bunch of narrow-minded, small worlded pains-in-the-buttocks for the most part.

They whinge and carry on about everything, their world is petty and everything is hard yards.

They resent anyone or anything that represents wealth, but then tell you in the next breath that even though they are poor; they are happy. :eek:

They are "Aussie Battlers" and wear it like a badge. pleeeeese!

They always have too much week at the end of their money, they all congregate down at the CBA at 9.00am on Thursday (pension day) to get their money out, then race down to Aldi's to do their shopping because they are so out of food...

Why not go on Wednesday when no-one else is there? Because they can't; they are flat broke.

Go for it.

Pride

How times change! Eighty years ago it was a social stigma to have to go on the pension. Millions of families around the world would struggle along far below the poverty line even though welfare and food stamps were available, simply because of pride. Nobody wanted to be a burden on society. They would only turn up in deep shame at the dole counter if they had exhausted every other avenue of survival.

Nowadays it seems telling your neighbours "Yeah I'm on the pension, I'm also getting payments A, B, and X out of the basterds" is a badge of honour!

While I think pensions should be accessible to those who truly need them, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to have a little of that pride mentality back either.

Back