Is it worth negotiating for a house that has been infected with white ants?

Hi,

Spoke to real estate agent and says that vendor is ready to accept any offers, offers low as what units sell in this area. Agent is also the one that has told me that there are white ants, so I would not know exactly how much damage there has been done by these white ants.

Is it worth getting a building inspection done on the house & finding out how much it will cost to fix the damage caused by the white ants?

The property is located in a nice quite street, 8km to CBD and 5 minute walk to train station.

Should I have any interest in this property or should I just move on to next one?

Cheers:)
George

trouble with white ants is, treatment does not always work 100%. sometimes it does, sometimes it don't.

if it's a deal, a steal, a sale of a f__ing century then i would look at it - it may just be a few roof timbers from a cavity breach.

$350 odd could save you paying thru the nose for what is now land value, or $350 odd could save you tens of thousands of dollars.

and the $350 is a tax deduction.

i say check it out.

problem with any house is whiteants can appear anywhere...
i dont like them from previous experience... my first property was riddled with em.. i got 20k off price spent 2500 for treatment, and replaced he infected walls for about 1500 all up doing it myself and yeh was fine got a 20k price reduction. it depends on the severity of the matter.

I do not have any problems with termites in my purchases - why? I can get a deal!
2 Things
Termite damage - has to be costed & repaired. Very obvious. A building inspection & quote should reveal all.

Termite irradication - not as frightening as most think but very emotive. Treat by professional with powder, then for established properties, I like a reticulation system with Termador. Great chemical that is said to not only protect your house, but yard & probably the neighbours as well!!

Its a reno so cost appropriately, go in with eyes wide open, & time it efficiently.

Obviously if it is structually unsafe - buy for less than land value because you have to demolish & remove.

Last edited:
I will need to have a Termite Damage Assessment done on the property & see how much damage has been caused.

Also I think it's important to put down on contract, subject to building & pest inspection + subject to bank valuation.

Thanks to all for your replies, will post with an update, I hope I'm not getting my self into big problems,:( wish me luck.

George

I am suprised anyone would contemplate NOT getting a building and pest inspection report in any property purchase.

Yep, I wrongly explained my point, I meant putting the default conditions, such as Building & Pest report & the rest, but this one such as, subject to Bank Valuation would consider since it's got termites.

:)

Hi,

Is it worth getting a building inspection done on the house & finding out how much it will cost to fix the damage caused by the white ants?

The property is located in a nice quite street, 8km to CBD and 5 minute walk to train station.

Should I have any interest in this property or should I just move on to next one?

George

Hi George,

I recently met an investor who bought a house infested with white ants and spent 2-3K getting rid of them. he bought the house less than the median price. I would say, do your sums, including the cost of inspection and getting rid of the white ants. if the price suits you go for it.

Do you plan to keep the house for long or you are buying to build two on it?

Cheers

Yeah if you can get it for land value and bomb the place to h*ll along with the whiteants then why not.

Agreed.
I nearly did the same thing. Found a house with astounding views, lake in backyard. Termite damaged and selling for land value. I couldn't buy it as I don't have the funds to knock it down but whoever got it bought a gold mine for pennies.

If you are talking about in Sydney then even more so yes if you are getting it for land value, especially in such a close location to the CBD.

If you are talking about in Sydney then even more so yes if you are getting it for land value, especially in such a close location to the CBD.

Hi tiger,

Yes, it' in Sydney, since the property is not advertised might as well give you the exact suburb, it's in Turrella. Property is a few streets away from train station.

Does anyone have any comments on Turrella? Would be nice to hear if anything I should watch out for, before I go ahead with my purchase.

Goerge

I am suprised anyone would contemplate NOT getting a building and pest inspection report in any property purchase.

The last time we put a building or a pest clause on an offer was about 6 or so years ago. We've bought a few since then and found them both to be irrelevant. I'm surprised you are surprised.

Complete waste of space and time IMO - and an absolutely brilliant way of getting your offer thrown straight into the bin by the Vendor. This assumes of course that you really wish to purchase the place, and are not going around dropping 50 offers on dross properties in a casual devil-may-care attitude.

So - to your initial question Triton07, my answer would be yes.

Hi,

Spoke to real estate agent and says that vendor is ready to accept any offers, offers low as what units sell in this area. Agent is also the one that has told me that there are white ants, so I would not know exactly how much damage there has been done by these white ants.

George
George,it only comes down to one item the price,some old blocks of flats
that i have looked at the only thing holding up the top floor was the the whiteants mounds in the bottom floors,i like white ants because if you don't see any trace of them in any building in QLD over 30 years old then you know for sure they have been covered up in some way or another,
use the W-A damage to screw down the price, and play the R-E against each other..willair..imho..

The last time we put a building or a pest clause on an offer was about 6 or so years ago. We've bought a few since then and found them both to be irrelevant. I'm surprised you are surprised.

Complete waste of space and time IMO - and an absolutely brilliant way of getting your offer thrown straight into the bin by the Vendor. This assumes of course that you really wish to purchase the place, and are not going around dropping 50 offers on dross properties in a casual devil-may-care attitude.

Hey each to their own (I guess:eek:) but there are many ways of getting a building and pest inspection report without ruining your offer. E.g use your cooling off period or conduct the inspection before making an offer.

I have always found inspection reports to be increadibly useful. Mind you it is important you get a thorough inspector to conduct it.

Further if i found a vendor (or the agent) became funny about doing one, I think that raises more questions than answers.

When we have bought houses with obvious problems including whiteants we have never had building and pest done. Agents have looked at us strangely when we show up with a ladder and torch. We just have a really good look including inside the roof and under the floor. I have heard of too many people who find significant problems within 6 months of a favourable report to be bothered.

It good for potential buyers that people are so scared of termites/white ants.
You may just be able to pick up a bargain.

Louise

Hey each to their own (I guess:eek:) but there are many ways of getting a building and pest inspection report without ruining your offer. E.g use your cooling off period or conduct the inspection before making an offer.

I have always found inspection reports to be increadibly useful. Mind you it is important you get a thorough inspector to conduct it.

Further if i found a vendor (or the agent) became funny about doing one, I think that raises more questions than answers.

Black Dragon, Dazz is joking.

He buys office blocks and cbd buildings where you cant do pest/building.

Yep, I wrongly explained my point, I meant putting the default conditions, such as Building & Pest report & the rest, but this one such as, subject to Bank Valuation would consider since it's got termites.

:)

I guess you would be subject to bank valuation in any case be it termites or dropbears.:D

Hummm... would I buy.:confused:

If you have time to fix yourself and it is easily fixed ( read accessed) and not highly structural, maybe. Need to find out what they have eaten and are they gone.

Can it be rented as is. If not your costs to repair and interest over that time may not deductable.

Termites either eat your home as food or live in it as a nest. If your home is dinner then you need tofind the nest and get it gone. If it is next door house and they dont care, or a tree that cannot be taken out, you have a recurring problem.

Overall, a distant maybe...

Peter

5 of my properties are within walking distance to the beach so termites are a part of life! In fact, a builder friend noticed a few termites in a rotten tree stump on the boundary of our PPOR only 6 months ago.

A pest inspection found termites in an IP property I was purchasing and I was able to add a clause into the contract to cover the treatment and a follow-up inspection before settlement.

As mentioned above, they cannot guarantee eradication and it is more likely the Termites up and move next door.

It all depends on where they are and what they have destroyed - as to your bargaining power and risk.

I'd be getting a pest inspection with particular attention to White Ants.

Regards Jo

Back