Is Melbourne too wet and cold to live in?

If only it would drizzle........
Hey I know Melb needed it ... but for our Xmas holiday visiting Melb, it literally bucketted down for 3 days straight, with temp under 20. Three days later there were 3 days over 40 heat.

It was a hell of a shock for my kids who have always lived in Japan, which is probably closer to Nth Qld ... stable summer mind you I'm a Melb boy. The Japanese just can't grasp that Xmas Day in Melb could either be stinking hot or everyone around the heater.

Is Melbourne too wet and cold to live in? YES

Summer was on a Tuesday afternoon last year!

Cheers,

Bazza
(I can say that because I am a Victorian)

If anything Melbourne is too hot to live in, and I wish we had more rain here, even the weeds are dying in my yard, the grass died long ago :(. I love Melbourne, but January is easily my least favourite month of the year due to the heat. Bring on Autumn :)

Those who look at just the weather miss the point. Melbourne is amazing in so many other ways. I'm sure someplace out in central NSW has 'perfect' weather but what's the point if you don't have the wonderful cultural events, great restaurants, sporting events, entertainment precincts, music scene, reasonable transport links and so on?

I've lived in Japan, Hong Kong, London, Belfast, San Francisco, Sydney and Adelaide (for a few weeks). Different people like different things however I really feel Melbourne has the right mix of everything for me. That's why I'm so confident investing in it.

Melbourne has Aussie Rules to get us through those winter months, going to the MCG on a wintery afternoon to watch your team play is one of lifes great joys. Melbourne is not a place to look at but to live in and be part of.

Is Melbourne too wet and cold to live in? YES

Summer was on a Tuesday afternoon last year!

Cheers,

Bazza
(I can say that because I am a Victorian)

I heard a funny joke that Melbournian's don't always appreciate, but it's just a joke guys..

" I missed summer in Melbourne 1 year, I think I was having a shave"

I really love having seasons. Only problem is, Melbourne has them all in 1 day!

In Hong Kong they wear jumpers and coats when the temperature 'plummets' to 18C. They just love to break out the seasonal clothes.

Adelaide - gets too hot, like Perth. I quite like Melbourne, could probably live there Ok if it wasnt for those silly Footy fans who think their teams are the best in Australia!

If you can't live in the state that's "beautiful one day, perfect the next" (Queensland, of course), then I reckon Melbourne would be next choice! :D

Cheers
LynnH

If Melbourne was picked up by a space ship and put on top of the Gold Coast, it would be brilliant. And it may as well be. Most of the gold coast come from Victoria, or NZ, or NSW.

As it stands, the weather in Melbourne bugs me. If you want to go on an outing, you need to pack a trailer with a change of clothes for all seasons.

And being an avid cyclist, there's so many days when cycling is just untenable, whether freezing cold wind, horizontal rain, etc....

And as a regular Melbourne visitor, I reckon Brisbane is fast growing its number of restaurants that surpass 95% of Melbourne's food offerings.

Though we still don't do coffee as well as you guys....but then we don't have the concentration of idol latte lefties and yuppies to fuel the industry :p

Love Melbourne's inner parks and green belts too....Brisbane's got squat to match.

I heard a funny joke that Melbournian's don't always appreciate, but it's just a joke guys..

Bizarre - could only have been said by someone who's never lived here. Melbourne has long, hot summers most years. From mid-November to March is too hot in my book.

I love Melborune weather, when living in Sydney, Canberra etc. I really missed it.

It is hot in summer and cold in winter. Weather is meant to be like this. Only reptiles would be happy in perpetual sunshine, not to mention missing out on a variety of cuisine & wine styles by living in a single climate area.

Only thing that annoys me is everyone walks so slow. Sydney people walk quicker that suits my gait, and I quite liked Sydney unless I needed to drive anywhere.

"Melbourne people don't tan. They rust"

"Melbourne Rain Festival. Jan - Dec"

I reckon Melbourne is the best city in Australia .... and probably for the same reasons that it rates consistently high in those 'best city' polls where people say it has the best shopping, theater, live music, stand up comedy, bars, restaurants, galleries, museums, restaurants and ethnic diversity. Its also nicely laid out in a grid which makes it easy to navigate.

Its big on sports too, including the Melbourne Cup, Australian Open, F1 grand prix, MotoGP, aussie rules etc, past Olympic & Commonwealth games etc..

People complain about the weather in melbourne but its not that bad once you get used to it -- just wear layers and adapt, it's actually quite interesting. I'm not sure if i'd live there again but i always get a good vibe when i go there and i think the people are friendlier too :)

Bizarre - could only have been said by someone who's never lived here. Melbourne has long, hot summers most years. From mid-November to March is too hot in my book.

LOL relax my friend, it wasn't bizarre,

as I said, it was a joke.. :)

and it was someone who lived there, he told me it when i was over for work one time.... my cousin (who still lives there) laughed with him.

Perth is a boring 2 (no we've gr0wn, make it 3 !) horse town and we have more than 3 cafes now too

ok now ? :D

PS: Do you know why people go on about how bad the weather is as much as they do, cuase SO MANY of you get so uptight about it..... we can't help it.... hehehe

Last edited:
... and I quite liked Sydney unless I needed to drive anywhere.
Sydney roads hate em,
three o clock in the morning 5 lanes one way <--- this way, parked trucks outside a motel too big to park inside the motel.
eight o clock in the morning poor bloody copper banging on the door, the road changed direction for morning peak hour, now the trucks are parked facing the wrong way into five lanes of traffic ---> this way.
poor coppers driving into traffic to clear the way for big sleepy idiots pushing semi trailers the wrong way into morning traffic.
OC got his bum chewed out so bad his navel collapsed

Back