Is my house insurance in jeopardy because of a little sign on my gate?

Yesterday a courier pulled up in my driveway and phoned me. He said could I open the sliding gate, which I did. I walked out to him and said did he want me to sign or just give him the slip which was in the letterbox. He had originally left a slip and not delivered the box a few days ago.

He answered that he would not come on to my property because of the "Beware of the Dog - Enter at your own risk" sign.

We put this sign up because our toy poodle twice nipped the ankles of our local Australia Post courier. If he reported it to council we could be slapped with a dangerous dog order, meaning a huge increase in registration fees and having to muzzle him in public.

Anyway, yesterday the courier said the dog did not worry him, but the sign did. He said that by me putting up the sign saying "enter at your own risk" if he entered and tripped in my yard, he was acknowledging that he was taking on any risk himself. He also said he was bitten by a dog delivering some wine and the owner had a similar sign. He had a couple of days off work and apparently the dog owner laughed at him when he approached him. (I don't know what he wanted from the owner - doctor bill to be paid? - he didn't elaborate.)

It got me to thinking. By trying to avoid a higher registration for our poodle, have we actually jeopardised our insurance cover? Could our insurance company get out of any possible claim because we had the words "enter at your own risk" on our gate?

I have called my insurance company. The person I spoke to thought there was no jeopardy but one of their legal staff will call me back within 24 hours to confirm it (or not?). In the meantime, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this?

Wylie

Nil. No. 0 chance.
it has NOTHING to do with anything. and particularly, nothing to do with insurance. when u take out a policy, no one asks or cares, if you have a dog.

disclaimers and warning signs also have no relevance at all, no legal standing.
if a person wants to sue you, they can sue you.

Hi Ricardo. Thanks for your input. I did hear back from my insurer and they basically said what you have.

Must have just been a paranoid courier I guess.

Thanks, Wylie

ferocious toy poodle??

wylie said:
"Beware of the Dog - Enter at your own risk" sign.

Maybe the risk is the risk of embarrassment for having to tell your mates you were attacked by a deadly and ferocious toy poodle (with big gnashy teeth)...unless you've got one mother of a BEEEEG toy poodle. :eek::eek:

Jireh

Trust the lawyers of this world to mess up our lifestyles.
I've heard that by placing a dog warning sign, you are admitting that you already know there is a risk to persons entering, in which case you have some duty of care to limit or remove the risk. Is that true ? Any lawyers out there care to comment ?
cheers
crest133

What about a sign that says "Dog on premises" with possibly a silhouette of a poodle and leave it at that?

cava

Don't know if you have a dog Simon, but he bites strangers who come onto our property BECAUSE he is a dog and is protecting his property. The milkman calls twice a week and has done so for years and years and our dog barks madly at him (inside the house or on the verandah) each and every time. In his little poodle head, he thinks he has scared the bad man away successfully each time.

I can't figure out the men and boys in my household. I'm not even going to try figuring out what's going in the poodle's head.

Wylie.:D

Back