Is the reno bug going crazy?

I renovate to increase rent and also to get an old property into nice shape, ie getting the walls sanded down smooth and painted properly so in future I can easily spuce the paint up. When the market is right I would do major reno work like cutting out walls, bathrooms etc and then sell it.

I'm doing an apartment now that had already had a new kitchen bench and cupboards put in a couple of years ago as well as the bathroom is pretty new. But the walls were in bad need of a proper sanding down and painting. The carpet in both rooms also needed replacing. I was lucky the previous owner rented it out from exchange for 2 years. I just moved in 2 weeks ago and will have to all painted and the rooms are newly carpeted, I done the lot myself. Cost: roughly $25o for carpet (lucky to get it on special from $59 down to $39 sm). paint and other bits & pieces like brushes etc cost around $400. Overall it will be less than $1,000 and I hope the rent will increase from $290 to the mid $300's. Ideally I would rather have someone else do the sanding, I enjoy the painting but not the prep as it's too dusty. I will also take out the wall between the kitchen and lounge but that's a future job, this is OK for now...

If and when we do venture into the IP investing route I'd definitely use the services of someone like Jane hotspace. Renovating a PPOR with no intention to ever sell/move is a completely different kettle of fish to renovating an IP for someone like us.

agree - with renovating for profit - u need some level of stylish or design ideas and a business sense to make it work.

u can't have an architect who is crazed on the design end and likewise you can't have a pure business approach and lacking on design as in the end you will end up with product that can't be sold

Back