Is this a recommendation..?

the manager of the local high end hotel, Holiday Inn, entitled to a suite as manager, prefers to stay in our bachelor apartments. :D

Ladylove is looking at another mini-mansion, she expects I will post a pic of it
but that would be predictable, so I won't.

funeralhome.jpg

Last edited:
I think this house has potential. It was built in 1902, in Queen Anne style.
It has 10 bedrooms,3 1/2 bathroom (we would put in another),3 lounge areas,2 kitchens, place for an office, laundry room, and plenty of storage in the basement and in the attic.

The problem with this property is that it has old wiring.The 3 bedrooms on the third floor, there isn't any staircase to.There is a staircase that is partially hidden and some has been removed.

It is a bit pricey for this area at $429,900.There isn't much space to park, even though it has a 2 bedroom garage and some parking in front of that.

There are 2 elevators in this house. One for carrying furniture, and another for carrying people.
This place used to be a funeral home.......

We are extremely close to a community college, and in the centre of our town.It is just around the corner from where we live now.

It can be purchased furnished, which is perfect for my plans.
It could be rented by the room during college time and be a B&B during the summer breaks.

interior photos

this house is awesome. why is it so cheap? is it...

- all property in canada is cheap
- it's a small twon hence the property is cheap
- property taxes are hideous
- it needs mega bucks to fix it up
- people dont like the funeral parlour aspect
- or???

this house is awesome. why is it so cheap? is it...

- all property in canada is cheap
- it's a small twon hence the property is cheap
- property taxes are hideous
- it needs mega bucks to fix it up
- people dont like the funeral parlour aspect

In this town, this is quite expensive, as it is currently being used as a single family home and an illegal 2 bedroom apartment.

Property taxes would be about $5k per year.
To rewire would be $10-$40K. Our last property of this size to rewire was 40K, but we were renovating into 11 bachelor suites. We are not changing these rooms, so should be cheaper.
It is already in very good repair other than rewiring.
Don't think most people know it used to be a funeral home. After we viewed this property my daughter gave us the movie A Haunting in Conneticut to watch.......scary.

It would cost about $7-8K a year to heat.

Wow, it's gorgeous! I know it would be heartbreaking to rip it apart, but (purely for the purposes of gauging value) there'd have to be near $430K worth of period fittings (fireplaces, stained windows, timber panelling, etc) in there!

I wish we had homes like that, and priced like that, in Australia....

Mind you though, the heating bill is a bit pricey...how do you heat it?

Thanks

g

A couple of questions - are you able to post some interior photos of it? I'm very curious to see what it looks like inside...

Also, are termites a problem in Canada? I see that this home is mostly wooden in structure, so do you have to worry about termites in your old homes?

Thanks

g

kathryn put a link in the bottom of post 2

termites, we don nee no steenkin termites

very few termites,
very few carpenter ants

very large heating bills, oil furnaces -ducted air -hot water filled radiators piped from the furnace, this house much smaller $3800.
furnace in the house is as big as the aircons for a 50 storey ofiice block
insulation is a big thing here,
but a few years behind, everything new has to have 10years of experience before the govt lets it be used.
pink bats 18inches thick in the ceilings

That is unbelievable, I would buy it just to live in it, but as a hotel I would think you would have people lining up to stay there, is there much hotel type trade, tourist/business area. I would make up another rumour about the old reclusive film star who used to live there instead of it being a funeral parlour. Could you do some sort of package whereby they get to stay in this house and you take them out to 'any' tourist attraction. Do you have bears up there, I saw a tv show about this guy's house that was on the bear route and they were doing $$$$ damage, so he put an iron fence all around the patio, now there is a waiting list to stay there and see the bears up close as they try to get in. Trying to get you to think outside the square here.

what a magnificent house ... i love it! can say no more except that this would be a buy with the heart :eek:

does it come with much land?

Our town is the hub of the province. You go thru it to get to everywhere else.
We have a few large motel /hotel chains.A few mom and pop motels, and a few B&B's.
Not sure where we would fit in.We would be larger than the usual 4 bedroom style B&B, but that's only because this property is large.

Not much land to the property, about twice the size of the lawn you can see in the pic.

We do have bears, but not in town.I had one in my yard where I lived about 16 kms from here.Black bears...not friendly. You can't play dead with them so they will leave you alone.

My idea is to have it be an Australia theme. Name all the rooms after animals such kangaroos, koalas, etc. Have the bathrooms "sheilas & blokes".
Accept AUD (cash) at par.
Australia is a very loved country here !!!

For a day or so I did consider having the third floor bedrooms furnished in beds designed as coffins...but they are expensive.Not sure if I want to attract that type of clientelle.Then spread rumors it was haunted....

Back