Is this looting?

sue Mother Nature, or the "act of god" for the theft. After all, she is the one that did the actual looting from peoples homes.

Most of this stuff is water logged rubbish. You only need to look at the cleanups in towns, and they use bulldozers to clean up all the rubbish. Maybe they should search all items one by one for any personal items to give back to the owners.

Better to go to someone who thinks some rubbish is usefully, that to the dump.

Some common sense people. Entering a house - looting. picking up rubbish floating in Morton Bay or on the beach - helping the cleanup effort ;P.

Last edited:
looting and theft is going into abandoned homes and taking stuff from there.

picking up stuff that has floated 100km down the river (with the exception of boats) is not looting as the rightful owner cannot be established. although i cannot imagine why anyone would want any of that stuff.

same as finding a 50 dollar note while you are walking down the mall.

picking up stuff that has floated 100km down the river (with the exception of boats) is not looting as the rightful owner cannot be established. although i cannot imagine why anyone would want any of that stuff.

I think people are talking about people going to places where stuff has been "parked" on the side of the road and taking stuff that suits them.... that's different to finding a $50 note o nthe street, or a couch floating down a river

Where do you draw the line?

What if a scuba diver finds someone's diamond ring at the bottom of the brisbane river?

Is that theft??

I say if it aint on your property anymore, it's gone. There's no other way to police it.
(of course, whether or not you have the gaul to take something that's not yours is a different matter :))

Are you saying a boat torn froms its mooring or on a pontoon with boat torn froms its mooring is fair game? I think not.

Theft is theft end of subject.

Brian

theft is theft, there is no arguing about it, but what's been described here ain't theft ;)

if you find a sunken dinghy near the beach, with no markers identifying owner, who does it belong to?

Did the tree really fall if no one was around to see it fall? Maybe it grew that way.:D

We are getting silly here, because the idea of "looting" things from Morton Bay is silly. Looting is taking things from private property directly.

If you pick it up and take it home then I would consider it theft but I think it is better to drag as much as possible to shore and line it all up waiting to be taken to the tip or sorted through for recycling.

We don't want what is now rubbish polluting the bay and ocean etc IMO

You're concerned about the environment yet you'd rather items be taken to the tip than find a new home?

Floods bring out some scumbags, I used to sleepover looking after an upstairs surgery in downtown Lismore (NSW) when a flood occurred (about every 3-4 years, we were used to it there). At night hoons would drive boats down the street, the wakes breaking windows, sometimes they'd throw rocks at windows to get at the stuff inside. They once tried ours but it didn't break.
I agree with whoever said they should be used as flood markers.

You're concerned about the environment yet you'd rather items be taken to the tip than find a new home?

One man's trash is another mans treasure

We are getting silly here, because the idea of "looting" things from Morton Bay is silly. Looting is taking things from private property directly.

Agree with that regarding the term "looting" though found this on the web

loot (lt)
n.
1. Valuables pillaged in time of war; spoils.
2. Stolen goods.
3. Informal Goods illicitly obtained, as by bribery.
4. Informal Things of value, such as gifts, received on one occasion.
5. Slang Money.
v. loot·ed, loot·ing, loots
v.tr.
1. To pillage; spoil.
2. To take as spoils; steal.
v.intr.
To engage in pillaging.

Did the tree really fall if no one was around to see it fall? Maybe it grew that way.:D

Fallen...or ?

Attachments

• Sideways.jpg
    Sideways.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 38

It wasn't a $50..but a $20.
I picked it up, smiled and stuck it in my pocket.
If it had been in a wallet, or some type of ID to find the owner, I would have.

The next week, we lost $5 nnote. First thought was, that will make someone happy :)

Anyone finding anything washed up in Moreton Bay is never going to find its owner.

However, if useful, it would be nice if the person put a few $$$ into the flood appeal.

Win,win - clean up the environment, recycle an object and give a few dollars to the people suffering losses.

But how things change in a generation. Saw news footage telling everyone to throw out ALL electrical appliances as they were ruined. After the 1974 floods most electrical appliance were repaired !!!! We had a brand new stove for our home being built stored at hubby's parents' home in Chelmer that went right under. The manufacturer repaired it and we used it for years until we sold the house (so no idea how long it lasted).
Marg

we had floods thru newcastle a few years back - i tipped the water out of my ip stove, clean it, left it open to dry out a for a few days - worked fine.

personally i think they are merely scavaging, not looting.

looting are those scum that are rowing out to moored boats and breaking in to steal stuff. police rescued one who nearly drowned in his attempts - i would've let him.

Back