Is this over the top

We are going away for 3 days, partner and I, leaving 17 year old on her own at home. Worried about leaving her on her own

Am I being over protective? She seems to be fine with this, not worried about being alone. Perhaps I have been watching too many crime shows.

Daughter no. 1 left home at 19 yo and very independent, went to uni worked at night in a pub, working till 3.00 am in the morning, I did worry about this too, perhaps this is normal.

Its a tough call for me trying to step back.

Mtr

Heck. As a 9 yo I was out in the streets till dawn getting up to no good, I can"t remember what I did at 17 ( at 17 I learned the truth that love was meant......janis Ian).

Relax, she"ll be fine, look at me I turned out OK (lol)

We always worry about our kids' safety, but you have to give them room to show they can be responsible in certain areas as they get older.

You might want to see if you can get a neighbor or friend/relative to keep a covert eye on the proceedings though just in case some gatecrashing deehedds spoil things etc.

Relax, she will have the fur babies to keep her company.

When I was 17 my parents went overseas for two weeks. I was furious that they didn't take me too. I still managed to get to school each day and feed myself.

Unless your daughter is some morman or jehovahs witness your daughter is going to hear

"Honey, we are going overseas for two weeks...........party..............party..........party...........party"

We had a party at our place when I was a teenager - I was 17 from memory, and my sister was 16.

Mum and Dad had gone away, so of course we threw the party that they weren't to know about.

Well, it got a bit out of hand in terms of numbers - Country town and everyone knows everyone.

This was in a 100+ year old Victorian house, with wooden wall studs covered in layers of wall paper and hessian in numerous places.

So, someone decided to do a handstand in the lounge room, overbalanced and hit the wall with their feet - a hessian section, and went straight through the wall - massive hole.

As well as that; we had a pile of sand/gravel on the front lawn that Dad was using for some landscaping job of some sort (can't remember what for).

Through the course of the evening, loads of folks waked across this pile to come in and out of the house, reducing it to a flat patch of white on the grass.

My Mum and Dad were a pretty cool pair, so even though they were a bit upset at the damage, they still managed a bit of chuckle - they had been there and done that themselves.

We are going away for 3 days, partner and I, leaving 17 year old on her own at home. Worried about leaving her on her own

At age 18, Lil packed her bags & moved permanently to Melbourne.

So long as she is mature & sensible, she will be fine.

MTR, join the club. It depends on the child. I could have left one of my children alone at the age of 17. She is responsible. But she scares easily, so I didn't. She is 21 and still gets scared if she's home alone (even though she has lived overseas). Another is 19. I wouldn't leave her at home. Her intentions would be good. But she has friends around all the time now, so I can't imagine what it would be like if I left her home alone. She is the life of the party. So, it would be a definite no for her.

There's nothing wrong with being protective of your children. And it's normal to worry (especially if you're Italian). My kids know that I will pick them up wherever they are no matter what time of night it is if they need me. I wouldn't let my children walk home at night, so when they've had jobs where they've finished late I have always picked them up, even if it meant waking up to do so.

Don't have time to read the other posts atm but def. OTT :)
Not saying it was right but I used to get left on my own heaps before I was 10 - often looking after a bratty brother and handicapped sister.
She'll be fine. Do it now while she's still young enough to benefit. :)

I don't think there is too much to worry about, girls normally quite sensible at that age compared to young lads.
She will probably just stay home and make a video with her boyfriend or something. :D

I had to travel a lot for work when my daughter was 18 - she would just have her best friend come to stay, they played house and had fun.

I was working and living in Budapest with my son, and when he was 17 I had to go to Bucharest for five days for work. I asked him to sort out staying with a friend, but he refused, also refused to someone come and stay with him. In the end I left him alone (almost worried myself in to a coma!), he went to school, hung out with his friends at home and out, and generally had a great time. I think it is important to trust our children and give them space to grow - if they are mature enough. I had an army of people calling to check on him and he knew he only had to make one call and he'd have someone there in ten minutes. He thought I was ridiculous for being so concerned :)

I know how you feel - you've been raising children for so long, you can't imagine having a life away from the kids, but it will be good for you and good for her.

good luck!

Back