Is this property a tear down?

image3.jpg

image8.jpg

image10.jpg

Just wondering, if the cracks are this many and fairly big, I get it that even if you fixed it up, the cracks could continue, but couldnt it settle into its equilibrium position,

and if you patched up all the walls, could a building inspection pick out the faults?

the rest of the house seems to have no cracks, and was just wondering,
they look like cement sheeting, so if you simply replaced them with fibro, as fibro wont crack that easily, or maybe go over them???

whats everyones thoughts?

just doing my thursday night brain storming!

Depends. If it's on stumps what are they like? My guess would be the thing that will determine if it's a tear down is the state of the foundation's. all that internal stuff would be easy to fix up. If it's on stumps and some have sunk u can always replace the stumps so the house stops falling apart. Also look at possible termite damage. If all the internal timbers are destroyed then u might have to knock it down to. But remember houses that look like rubbish sometimes don't need much work to look good.

I saw this on real estate.com a couple of nights ago. I believe the listing stated something along the lines of "beware where you walk as the flooring was unsafe".

That in itself should say buyer beware, due diligence.

aqZYcMz.jpg

thanks tim, I cant tell if its stumps or not, can you tell from the photo?

as for the walls, are they cement walls?
i agree the internals are cosmetic ,

and if its infested with termites, yes its a knockdown

a few bits of termites wouldnt be the end of the world though

It is probably on wood stumps.

Have you been and inspected the house. That is is the only way to tell if they are stuffed.

The house doesnt look that far off the ground so it will be a pain in the @$%# to climb under and inspect them all.

That second pic, next to the window. Stair step type crack. Indicates it is likely footings giving way.

Still could be a decent buy though. That house must be close to 100 years old right? Anything that old is going to have problems like this. Even if you patch it up you will have to do it again in a few years. If it was a rental though and you are going to hold it for the long term it could still be ok.

Even when you see those nice spruced up terrace houses in the city they too need patching all the time because they were built on practically non existant footings.

I looked at a place of a similar age and in a similar state of disrepair last november. Builder estimated $80 - $100k bill to fix the main problems. (massive cracks, flaking plaster, water damage from leaks, new roof required). Plus many other costs on top of that.

Back