Is this quote reasonable??

There is more to just ripping up tiles and dropping a sheet of fibro down and retile.

I'm not about to question the person quote HE has been to the job and seen what is involved. Of course I don't know what he was doing for that job either.

My take on a job like this is

I will assume the balcony has handrails so this will need to be taken off or supported while the works are done. Rip tiles up and place rubbish in bin, rip tile existing tile underlay up and place in bin, if you can have the bin next to the balcony you can toss straight in, failing that all has to be carried downstairs to the bin.

I would not even consider putting the new sheeting on top of old timber flooring (shot edge) I would remove the shot edge flooring. Check the joists (joists are what the timber flooring was nailed to) if any joists are showing signs of rot, replace them. Need to also check if the joists are large enough to support compressed sheeting? If they are clean the tops of the joists and make sure all joists are straight for new sheeting to be installed. Also check to ensure there is fall (25mm) away from the house/unit. If the falls are ok and the joists are solid.

Off to the next stage.

Place the joist strips on, lay the compressed sheets down with correct beading betweens sheets. Drill and screw sheets down using the correct screws ( I prefer to have double joists at joins). Get waterproofer to do his bit. Tiler can do his bit. Handrail can be put back in place. Job can now be cleaned up.

Consideration - if the joists are too small and you just put sheeting on it will leak again in time as the joists will move as you walk on the deck and cracks will happen, and bugger me it leaks again.

Consideration - putting the sheets on top of the existing flooring will effect the height at the house and I thought it was to be about 70 mm don't have the time to look it up.

I want even bring into WPHS matters like requiring fall protection to be in place to do the works.

Nows the time to get it right, I would also get a professional water proofer in at this stage, to advise on what is required to correctly waterproof the deck.

Brian

Sheesh guys! Nobody said it would take three hours.

And I've done plenty of this type of job with my hubby and family. Please don't assume all of us who think the quote seems to be high are "shiny bums". I'm working right now on this type of work in an IP (on my paint spattered bum right now having a coffee).

Should my friend have got the $13K stair quote I suppose you would tell her that builders never quote high and she should just accept it?

And the original poster was not complaining but asking whether the quote seemed high. At least that is how I read it.

Double sheesh!

Spot on Wylie.
I 100% agree with this.

it is normally $40-$90 per sqm per tile grout included.

so that would be around 8sqm X the rate.

then you need to do the waterproofing.

just look around and find someone cheaper.

tradies like to pull fast ones. builders too. they're looking for quick payout...i've seen this happen many times with my current builder telling me stories of how the quick payouts occur.

tradies like to pull fast ones. builders too. they're looking for quick payout...i've seen this happen many times with my current builder telling me stories of how the quick payouts occur.

I'm sure there are tradies and builders who do want the quick fix and payout, but please don't put as all in the same boat.

Brian

I'm sure there are tradies and builders who do want the quick fix and payout, but please don't put as all in the same boat.

Brian

hey thats not fair , i am lumped in with the shods all the time and have gotten to the point where i dont really give a rats behind if i lose quotations for submitting a reasonable price for work involved .it never ceases to suprise me as to the number of people that know someone who knows someone that can do a job on the cheap ,
the operative work here is "cheap" think about it

hey thats not fair , i am lumped in with the shods all the time and have gotten to the point where i dont really give a rats behind if i lose quotations for submitting a reasonable price for work involved .it never ceases to suprise me as to the number of people that know someone who knows someone that can do a job on the cheap ,
the operative work here is "cheap" think about it

Umm did I offend you Arms????????

If I have not sure how, I was just saying there are tradies and builders that do do a quick fix and take the monies and run. Warranty is most likely a bituman one.

I was just saying DON"T put US ALL in the same bucket as the quick fix and run tradies and builders.

Brian

Umm did I offend you Arms????????

If I have not sure how, I was just saying there are tradies and builders that do do a quick fix and take the monies and run. Warranty is most likely a bituman one.

I was just saying DON"T put US ALL in the same bucket as the quick fix and run tradies and builders.

Brian

very hard to offend me ,skin like a rhino,all i was pointing out is that its the 5 percent of shoddy tradesmen/women that do the wrong thing (usually without the customer knowing what they are looking at) and taking the money then running that taint the honest and honourable tradesmen/women who take the time and effort to quote the job to a standard that would be accepted within their particular industry .then the potential customer when fronted by a quotation that they know nothing about the work that would have to go into the job for a professional finish race to forums like these and ask for opinions from unqualified persons as to whether they are being had .

very hard to offend me ,skin like a rhino,all i was pointing out is that its the 5 percent of shoddy tradesmen/women that do the wrong thing (usually without the customer knowing what they are looking at) and taking the money then running that taint the honest and honourable tradesmen/women who take the time and effort to quote the job to a standard that would be accepted within their particular industry .then the potential customer when fronted by a quotation that they know nothing about the work that would have to go into the job for a professional finish race to forums like these and ask for opinions from unqualified persons as to whether they are being had .

I think the question asked is reasonable. If the first few answers were along the lines of "I had similar work done and that seems about right" or "grab that builder, that is a good price" then the person is satisfied that he is not being taken for a ride.

However, on the information given, the answers were indicating that he needs a second quote.

I don't see any problem with that. And I acknowledge that indeed there could be more involved than the simple job it seems from the post. Perhaps if the builder had given some sort of break up to back up his seemingly expensive quote, that would have helped everybody.

Those tradies who are offended, or believe there is more to the job are forgetting that we all have had stupidly high quotes from tradies who think "if he is sucker enough to accept this quote, I've got it made".

Like real estate agents who are dodgy, car salesmen who are dodge, there ARE tradies out there who are dodgy too.

Do we want to make it so that somebody asking for advice is made to feel like he/she has done something terribly offensive?

I was going to ask for a ballpark figure for some work, but I won't do that now.

What you're quoting is a huge range, $40 - $90 psm. That is fix only ok. That is for the tiler turns up, everything is ready for him and he lays the tiles, grouts and leaves. And its probably the rate a tiler working for a builder, not a home owner.

So its not even close to a valid comparison.

Beside that the homeowner can get the cheapest quote they can, but dont complain when it starts leaking again, or the fall is wrong or it isnt done properly at all. Sounds like the reason why the OP is having to pay to get the work done a 2nd time.

As for tradies like to pull fast ones, looking for a quick buck. How is that. The customer can just throw the quote in the bin. Laugh at the high quote and say "seeya mate"

How can they pull a "fast one" or make a "quick payout"?

Another shiny bum know it all?

Can you outline your experience in the building industry to know this stuff?

I think the question asked is reasonable. If the first few answers were along the lines of "I had similar work done and that seems about right" or "grab that builder, that is a good price" then the person is satisfied that he is not being taken for a ride.

However, on the information given, the answers were indicating that he needs a second quote.

I don't see any problem with that. And I acknowledge that indeed there could be more involved than the simple job it seems from the post. Perhaps if the builder had given some sort of break up to back up his seemingly expensive quote, that would have helped everybody.

Those tradies who are offended, or believe there is more to the job are forgetting that we all have had stupidly high quotes from tradies who think "if he is sucker enough to accept this quote, I've got it made".

Like real estate agents who are dodgy, car salesmen who are dodge, there ARE tradies out there who are dodgy too.

Do we want to make it so that somebody asking for advice is made to feel like he/she has done something terribly offensive?

I was going to ask for a ballpark figure for some work, but I won't do that now.

well that will save someone a bit of time then

well that will save someone a bit of time then

I'm not sure what this means. If it means that asking on here if it sounds about right, or is way too high and a second quote is advised, then it does save time.

I'm not one to get more than one quote if I have an idea of the cost it should be. I don't like dragging tradies to quote just to check the first one to save a few dollars, and I'm sure tradies hate quoting, with the knowledge that they have a one in three, or one in five chance of getting the job.

But my friend's stair quote this week made me realise that there are clearly tradies out there prepared to load up a quote ($8K and $13K) if someone is silly enough to just accept the loaded quote.

I have seen here on SS where someone said recently they get between seven and ten quotes for some jobs. That is just crazy in my opinion, and not fair to the tradies who really are wasting their time.

I once called a company for a quote on something (cannot remember) and wanting a second quote to check the first, I called another company.

Chap answering the phone was quite rude and said "so, how many quotes are you going to get for this job". It was the same company, different name.

I didn't go with his company. I had asked for two quotes, but I imagine he may have thought I was planning on getting ten quotes. He lost the opportunity of getting the job due to his inability to handle my phone call in a friendly manner, but instead made me feel like he had caught me doing something naughty or underhand.

He could have said "we run two companies and you have just called us five minutes ago, so you are better calling another company for a second quote, but we would love to have your business". I would not have felt so embarrassed and he may have got the job.

When people get more than two or three quotes I can understand why some tradies have started charging for quotes. It must waste so much of their time.

Back