Issues to be fixed before settlement??

Hi if someone could help me here that would be great!

I'm about to settle on a new purchase and I did my final inspection and realised problems with a couple of items. Firstly the outdoor blinds on the balcony have been broken off and are on the ground. Secondly, the door to the balcony has dangerous bits of metal hanging loose off it. I didn't pick these up when I first inspected the property before I purchased it (blinds must have been been tentatively hanging by tenant and the door is covered well by two blinds). I have requested to have the seller fix these items and was going to try and get an agreement drawn up for them to be fixed (whether it be before or after i settle). Both issues have been there for around 6 months according to the tenant.

The REA is now telling me that it's not the sellers issue, it is now my issue as I should have picked it up before I purchased it??

Does anyone know where I stand?? Cheers!

Both issues have been there for around 6 months according to the tenant.

The REA is now telling me that it's not the sellers issue, it is now my issue as I should have picked it up before I purchased it??

You’re not going to like this bomber, but you don’t really have a leg to stand on. Especially since these issues have been around for 6 months and well before you exchanged contracts on the property.

Check your inclusions on the front page of the contract. If they mention the blinds you may have a case.

I would agree with peoplesagent.

If you had been ultra thorough with your inspections then would you have noticed these issues? It's often not practical to inspect that ever door opens and shuts correctly etc (especially when it's tenanted) but technically it's your responsibility or that of your building inspector.

It sounds like it might be a few hundred $ to have a handy man repair these items - so is it really worth worrying about?

You buy the property as you see it usually allowing for minor wear and tear until settlement.

They should be relatively cheap to fix.

Thanks everyone, I thought as much! Was just seeing if there was a way around it - call the balcony blinds "window treatments" maybe haha ;)

I thought I was very thorough, annoyed I didn't lift every blind and I reckon the tenants must have had those outdoor blinds hanging precariously as I would have noticed if they'd been down! Anyway, as you have all said it shouldn't cost too much to fix :) thanks again!

Hi if someone could help me here that would be great!

I'm about to settle on a new purchase and I did my final inspection and realised problems with a couple of items. Firstly the outdoor blinds on the balcony have been broken off and are on the ground. Secondly, the door to the balcony has dangerous bits of metal hanging loose off it. I didn't pick these up when I first inspected the property before I purchased it (blinds must have been been tentatively hanging by tenant and the door is covered well by two blinds). I have requested to have the seller fix these items and was going to try and get an agreement drawn up for them to be fixed (whether it be before or after i settle). Both issues have been there for around 6 months according to the tenant.

This is where a building inspection is handy and having it 'Subject to Building Inspection' they will check everything. Last building inspection I did tested things I would have never thought of including the door bell and it didn't work and the Vendor agreed to fix.

If you didn't then it's pretty much 'what you see (or didn't see) is what you get'

Back