IT help needed re laptop

Hi

I have a reasonably old toshiba (satellite A30) laptop. Just last week when I plugged the laptop into the power supply, I noticed that it wasn't charging. (Still doesn't).

The battery naturally ran down and now it won't power up.

I'm just wondering if this would be an issue with the battery itself, or the connector on the laptop? If say the battery was cactus, would I still be able to use the laptop whilst plugged into the wall? (If this was so, it would make me think it's something apart from the battery).

Cheers
Steve

I would expect it to still power up, even with a flat battery.
Try removing the battery altogether and see if it powers up on AC power. It could be that there's a fault in the battery that's preventing it from powering up.

Hi Rob

Ta for the suggestion. So a laptop should still run using AC power if the battery is removed?

Yes - this should tell me if it's a non battery related problem.

Ta again

Oops, should have included that I've tried a universal charger with it and still no luck. That's why I'm thinking (guessing?) it's something other than the charger.

:)

If the Laptop will not power on without the battery in it then it's most likely a faulty laptop. Most Laptops these days (at least the ones I have used and serviced) can power on with a power adaptor and without the battery inserted.

Hi Rob

Ta for the suggestion. So a laptop should still run using AC power if the battery is removed?

Yes - this should tell me if it's a non battery related problem.

Ta again

yes I have an ASUS notebook and it works without the battery in
while charger is plugged in

Back