It is time to out the banks!

I am the fund manager

Personally, I would never use the products of a bank on a financial planning basis. This is purely another (would you like coke and fries with that sir/madam) to their franchise arm. As indicated by others, the conflicts of interest are obvious.

I also wouldn't insure my IP's using the insurer of the bank I have loans with (regardless of purported discount) as they are then too quickly informed of adverse event that may affect the income generating capacity of the mortgaged asset and lead to all sorts of further inquisitions and reviews.

Nor would I purchase something like income protection insurance or disability insurance with the bank holding mortgages. They are all too hastily notified of any deleterious situation in your health and earning capacity and if your LVR's or current servicibility are at extremes, well they may see to it that your portfolio might need to be reviewed and trimmed..............all in your own interests of course. :rolleyes:

Do I use a financial planner?

Yes. Sparingly. Like seasonisng and condiments, a little goes a long way and more is not better.

1. My Fin Planner has been useful for initial setting up of SMSF and the requisite deed over a decade ago. Now it all comes down to any variations required between my accounant and my solicitor who understand the path I am on and what my risk appetite is.

2. They have been useful for placing me into a decent income protection product.

3. They have been useful in life insurance structure and the setting up of those policies for myself and my wife.

4. I have never (and never will) use them for managed funds, share wrap accounts or any other "coke and fries" type products. I am responsible for my life of financial affairs and for my results. ;)

I do agree they have a role to play in strategy for complex structures (in association with an individual's accountant and lawyer as relevant) and at least the initial set up of SMSF deed and setting up the trustee's responsibilities.

I cannot see the need for a Fin Planner to undertake the yearly Investment Strategy for my SMSF. My wife and I as directors of the corporate trustee sit down and have a cup of tea and minute our meeting and create our new (amended) strategy for the year based upon our age and objectives of our fund.

On the salesman front, there will be (many) who either have no time, are lazy, prefer to have someone to blame, and are not willing to be responsible for their fiscal prowess that will provide a steady stream of custom to (bank and independent) Financial Planning franchises. Regardless of product performance the income whilst one sleeps must appeal to these business models. :cool:

Fee for service is one step in the right direction however that also may be tainted with discounting for volume of trade with who knows what other type reward/options/incentives and the like. I'm not saying it happens to anyone here however when they can package toxic debt and give it triple A ratings and the like and suck in our local councils amongst other institutions, then what's to say that managed fund orders over the quota for the month don't get repaid by "in kind stock" over and above the fee for service/advice charged. Not a cynic, just a sceptic.

So, FP's have their role, and the more independent the better. I would also like to have the type of relationship where the FP is able to disclose where they invest and what their track record has been with their own portfolio. Like my accountant(s) and legal personnel, I need to be comfortable with the person and that they have some runs on the board or a heading in the direction that resonates with me.

I would never use them in the traditional salesman role, although there will not be a shortage of people that do.

I am my own asset and fund manager. :)

I do agree they have a role to play in strategy for complex structures (in association with an individual's accountant and lawyer as relevant) and at least the initial set up of SMSF deed and setting up the trustee's responsibilities.

This is pretty much the role of the chap my mother found, and who we saw when it became clear hubby wanted to exit the rat race.

I'm amazed how knowledgeable he is, and how tiny things can have major impact on earnings, tax, nursing home fees etc.

In our case, there were so many different angles we had to look at things from, different impacts of different scenarios. We could have tried to steer our own way through extremely complex family situations, trust set ups, timing of transfers into the trust, the impacts these things will have on tax, etc, etc, but we were lucky to find someone who is happy to liaise with our accountant and solicitor and who I now have the utmost respect for.

I am not a financial planner but am studying a Diploma of Financial Services, not necessarily with the view to become a FP, but because I was interested in it after I did my RG146 training and also I was able to do it cheaply thanks to the skills victoria incentive going on at the moment.

Anyway, for what it is worth there is a huge overhaul going on at the moment in the financial services industry, with a few changes being implemented in july. ASIC are trying to get rid of the commission structure and make FP it a fee for service. Most importantly FP are now to act as a fiduciary so that the don't show any bias and are compliant within all aspects of their role. Do I believe this will happen? I don't know, only time will tell. Old habits die hard.

With a FP at a bank (and I have never been to a FP at a bank so I don't know if they actually do this) legally they're not supposed to push their own products, they're supposed to offer the client a range of products and pick the ones that best suit their needs, once again acting as a fiduciary.

Just my 2c worth.

Piston Broke,

I will not get into a my accountant is better than your accountant argument. Anyone can have good and bad experiences with Financial Planners, Accountants, Mortagage Brokers, Lawyers etc and I am not here to pursuade you your experience can be better or worse. Please refer to the original post as this is not a slagging FP's post (you may begin one at your discretion). What are your thoughts on the issue of banks owning the industry?

Alexlee,

I am sorry, that you are of the opinion, that if people cannot afford financial help then screw them...... In my opinion, my Mother an Father, as does other parents in Australia deserve affordable financial advice that is both independent and transparent without costing the Earth. I have nothing further to write to you.

You've just written off two fairly knowledgeable forumites there Leigh.

Disregarding the bits of paper framed on the wall Leigh, I don't particularly get too enthralled listening to people espouse forth on financial matters when they are not wealthy and don't have big runs on the board.

What you are worth....that is, all of your knowledge and effort so far in your life - what has your system of doing things amounted to ??

That is a little harsh to say I have written someone off... this is not my intention, in fact I closed down the rather conflicting arguments and opened up the pressing issue with piston broke on my last post.

Further, I was not sure that you had to have a particular level of wealth to meet the requirements of this site:

If so, here goes, I have, lets just say, $plenty in my bank account (give or take). I have 8 properties (one in my SMSF -in progress). I own my own property (unencumbered). I did this on a teachers wage and retired at 33. I give free financial advice today to people who are interested, and I grew up in one of the toughest areas in Sydney-meaning I started with nil dollars (no silver spoon). I hope this meets the pre-requisites. Can I add, that this all means nil, nothing, zip - unless you are happy in other aspects of your life such as love, learning and legacy. I am nothing without my family, friends and other influential factors such as triathlon(I have competed in 5 Australian Ironman titles), my business, and other interests.

But more to the point, I maintain, I do believe all Australians deserve good low cost, independent financial advice. This is the topic, I think my personal attributes should be left out of this?

Summary: My system has amounted to a full life that has enabled my family and friends to enjoy a life without financial constraint, along with all the riches of good living through love, sports, and education. My legacy is not to leave behind cash, but to help others. No I have not posted over 1000 reponses on this site (please do not judge me for that). I contribute to society by sitting with individuals for up 4 hours each day. I am happy to pass on 100 references in this regard.... Now that we are asking, what is your legacy and what values do you have?

For a FP to be good they need to be very competent at a wide range of things. To give a client a custom plan, rather than just telling everyone to invest in a balanced fund or to buy an IP in a blue chip suburb on a 95% lend with an IO loan, takes more than 10 minutes of research.

Professional consultants in most fields charge upward of $250/hr. For a one hour face-to-face it likely takes 3+ hours of prep, research and checking ATO rules. This only covers the client specific billable time, large blocks of their time will get taken up by keeping up to date on industry information, learning about new rules, investigating new funds, reading property investment boards, etc...

Not many people will hand over $1K+ to get a one hour chat.

If you want someone who is good at what they do you have to be prepared to pay.

Piston Broke,
What are your thoughts on the issue of banks owning the industry?

As I posted, I agree with you that it makes a terrible industry a complete farce.
But imo the whole industry is based on a deceiving model that puts it participants way below used car sales people.
The false premise starts with the fallacy that the service is free, when sure the hell is'nt.

It is my understanding that the service of a FP is not free.They all bill to prepare the SoA and for their time. I am of the very few that does not bill as I enjoy what I do and do not require this income to keep me afloat.

I will try to explain: A FP must complete a SoA whenever they give advice around any financial product. This is an ASIC requirement. FP planners, me included pay for a license, PI etc each year costing between $20,000-$35,000depending on the dealer group. For this privilege they are governed by ASIC and the dealer group of the license. Now a running example: If a client was to ask for Income Protection, the process is as follows:

1. Take a complete personal assessment in all aspects of the persons personal and financial life to assess whether or not the amount, waiting period, type (I think we have seen the PDS from these insurance companies) is suitable and then proceed to do the administrative task.
2. Complete a SoA and fulfil ASIC and dealer group requirements. This process may take up to 6 weeks.

I will not bore you with any more details, but a FP does not get paid well for this privilege, in fact I earnt a much greater income from teaching. So what I am saying, is that although a FP does promote these products, there is a place as we need insurances and help with superannuation or like, someone has to do it, and it is a very mundane job. This does not mean everyone needs help, but remember we are all at differing levels of knowledge.

Again, the point I making, is that the banks buy the planning firms so they can place the clients asking for particular products such as life insurance into their own. This is an issue given there may be less expensive and/or better products available.

Lets clear up other assumptions: A financial planner is not a title you earn from years in the industry or a degree, in fact you may collect this diploma in one week. I do not wish to dis-respect Financial Planners in any shape or form, but like all industries they have there good and bad. As a FP, I for one didn't have $M's at 33 (as a teacher) from a lack of financial knowledge.....

Hi Birchcorp,

Whats your view of Count Financial?
Are they a well run organisation?
How do you see their business model being effected by the changes to new regulations?
Is their business model sustainable with regards to the changes in the new business regulations?

views appreciated,
thanks

Intrinsic Value,

Count have several traits that are very positive for the FP industry.

1. They are often linked with accounting firms (as a planner you are often arriving at questions that may require the knowledge of an accountant).
2. The directors are firm on their views that they will not be purchased by the banking industry- this suggests independence and transparency. You can google several reponses from higher authorities confiming this (read below).

Once the blend as noted above is good, it then comes down to the individual adviser. But, thumbs up from me unless someone can tell me there is a major shareholder called NAB, STG, CBA, WBC etc

I once read an article in 2005, by a Mr Lambert "One morning you'll wake up and there will be Count and the banks. They'll be out there flogging their products and we'll be giving advice," he said. I like this attitude (although dated, very strong and represents a strong standing - From my recent readings I believe this is still the stance of Count).

thanks for your views birchcorp.

What about the new upcomming legal changes.
No longer allowing automatic trailing commissions, and kick backs from the product managers.
Do you think this will have a substantial effect on future underlying profitability?

If the future lies in direct upfront 'charging', then how will companies like Count Financial make their money?

Again views appreciated.

No longer allowing automatic trailing commissions, and kick backs from the product managers.
Do you think this will have a substantial effect on future underlying profitability?

If the future lies in direct upfront 'charging', then how will companies like Count Financial make their money?

As you've pointed out, financial planners will have to charge clients for their services. If you want their expertise you'll have to pay for it.

Some institutions will offer financial planning for free, or next to nothing, but the only thing they'll be selling is their own products. They won't even pretend to be independent, they'll just disclose that they can only give advice within a narrow field.

The problem with charging a fee for these services, is many people don't have the money up front. If the planner doesn't receive a commission, many people can't receive decent financial advice (and let's face it, these are probably the people who do need financial planners the most).

It isn't also necessary to charge a fee up front. The planner and client could come to an agreement of $xx will be directed debited per month for a given period of time. Both parties will also understand what the terms of service, both immediate and ongoing, are. Really though, this is essentially commission by another name.

Another model might be that planners simply charge an hourly rate like solicitors.

The problem with commissions in the past is that some planners have taken a commission without working to build a real service based relationship with the client. They chase the high net worth customers because these are the ones who they get the biggest commissions from. The products recommended are commission based because they haven't worked out how to sell a fee for service model.

Long term, I believe the fee for service model will be good for the industry. Planners advice will point to the most appropriate products independent of renumeration. If they do their job well, they'll continue to make money, if not, the customers will give them the boot.

The hard part in the short term though, is people will need to realize that good advice doesn't come for free. The next problem is that whilst a planner might put together a fantastic plan and recommendation, on their own, people don't follow it. Getting people to pay an ongoing fee for reviews and updates is challenging. Business owners tend to understand this but many average consumers don't.

Thanks PT Bear, its very instructional to hear from those knowledgable of the industry.

As you've pointed out, financial planners will have to charge clients for their services. If you want their expertise you'll have to pay for it.

But as as been mentioned this will only be very high net worth clients anyway, only a small fraction of the total population. Someone told me recently that the 'cost' to a firm of providing a detailed financial plan was around $3000, so any charge less than this and the firm looses money (if there are no supporting kickbacks of one form or another from the product providers).

Some institutions will offer financial planning for free, or next to nothing, but the only thing they'll be selling is their own products. They won't even pretend to be independent, they'll just disclose that they can only give advice within a narrow field.

So this should be a net positive for the banks as well as the big financial players such as AMP.

What about individual funds managers? i wonder how this will play out for them, given that there source is a mix of retail and institutional (eg superannuation) money. The retail mix usually comes from the financial planners, or peusdo financial planners like accountants.

It isn't also necessary to charge a fee up front. The planner and client could come to an agreement of $xx will be directed debited per month for a given period of time. Both parties will also understand what the terms of service, both immediate and ongoing, are. Really though, this is essentially commission by another name.

this is an interesting view point.

Long term, I believe the fee for service model will be good for the industry. Planners advice will point to the most appropriate products independent of renumeration. If they do their job well, they'll continue to make money, if not, the customers will give them the boot.

I think this will be very hard to truely implement. Efficiently anyway and with broad cover for the majority of the population.

Can i ask another question:
Is all this written in stone, or is everything just up for review. In otherwords are these changes definately comming into effect???? Is there any change that the current status quo will be maintained???

It's in stone, look out for fee for service......

Many of the clients that come through my office did not know they where paying a commission to a planner. They did not even realise they paid a contribution fee in same cases. This brings up another point. Is ASIC making life more difficult for people? Who can really understand the PDS of financial product if your not in the game? What happened to KISS!

No profits in K.I.S.S.

...................... This brings up another point. Is ASIC making life more difficult for people?

Of course. How elese would they justify their existence.?

Who can really understand the PDS of financial product if your not in the game?

Not ASIC. :rolleyes:

They don't even read the PDS they approve. It isn't the financial product that is approved. The approval is that it (PDS) takes the required format and satisfies their paper trail audit of what categories it must contain.

What happened to KISS!

Keeping it simple detracts from the profit line. ;) The more organised and confusing it is, the easier it is to pull smoke and mirrors over people's eyes in the event of dodgy products.

In the event of ridgey didge investments, the more complicated it is, the more control the purveyors have over the seemingly naive customers who upon handing away their fiscal responsibility also hand over more in fees and other necessary sundry expenses. :(

Caveat Emptor..................

And now count financial has fallen to the banks! CBA is the culprit. I'm actually asking for help! Please stand up and be counted....lets have a few more independants in our industry. You may lose a small fraction of your profits....but you can look at yourself in the mirror!

CBA is the culprit.

Hiya

For every buyer, there usually ( but not always)has to be a willing seller...........
if thats the case the Count Group has just as much to answer for .

many years ago when there was dirt and then there was Rolf, Count was already well on Bed with BWA..........so the CBA thing doesnt surprise me one bit

ta

rolf

i met an FP at a networking breakfast.

she was a very nice person, i could detect no ill-harm in her motives whatsoever. she was genuinely interested in helping people with their finances.

i asked quite a direct question (being me and all - i know how to put my foot in it) about how she figures selling people into products that pay commission is advice and not sales.

she said she can only work with what the clients have to invest.

it was about this point in time she sipped her coffee and the conversation fell like a lead balloon bailing out in the final descent of the Hindenburg.

you'd think i'd be able to hold civil conversation over bacon and eggs. but no.....

i met an FP at a networking breakfast.

she was a very nice person, i could detect no ill-harm in her motives whatsoever. she was genuinely interested in helping people with their finances.

i asked quite a direct question (being me and all - i know how to put my foot in it) about how she figures selling people into products that pay commission is advice and not sales.

Jolly good question. Of course it is sales, and not advice!! She knows it.

she said she can only work with what the clients have to invest.

What does she mean by this? Chances are her clients will have a lot less after 'investing' through her firm's selected products.

it was about this point in time she sipped her coffee and the conversation fell like a lead balloon bailing out in the final descent of the Hindenburg.

you'd think i'd be able to hold civil conversation over bacon and eggs. but no.....

I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps you made her feel a touch guilty!! Well, for a moment, anyway! Perhaps you will meet another 'nice' FP over a networking breakfast some time soon!

Back