It's all you Investors to Blame!

I have actually heard this coming out of peoples mouths before , but this morning on the Real Estate program thats broadcast on the radio I heard a caller saying it again.

The reason why all the proposed first home owners and others cant afford to buy a property is because of "Property Investors"! These investors keep buying multiple properties again and again and drive up the prices so high no one else can afford to buy!

What tha :confused:

No wonder they are where they are in life.:rolleyes:

It sounds strange to say but some how I feel these type people make comments like these because it justifies somehow in their own minds why they cant be bothered get off their backsides and doing somerthing constructive for themselves!

Has anyone else heard comments to this effect?

Reactions: Les
One word to people who say that: anwaddayagunnadoaboudit?

They can make all the excuses they want. In the future, they're still going to be renting and making excuses. A thin layer of moral outrage isn't going to pay for the retirement.
Alex

I will second what Alex said - "whaddayagonnadoaboudit"?

I have found that people who put the blame on others for whatever reason, will never take responsibility for their own actions or choices. I would bet that this caller probably hasn't bothered to think about the many ways they can buy a property besides buying your own slice of the Great Australian Dream to live in.

It really is a different mindset, and if isn't evil property investors then, it would be some other excuse as to why he isn't able to buy a house. I have stopped listening or watching these types of reports - let their families/friends put up with their whinging - I haven't got time.

Cheers
Nat

i heard a saying years ago that went something like - "excuses are only lies to yourself".

it really made me sit up and think, and take notice when i feel myself making an excuse. am i just lying to myself to justify my laziness/mistakes - or is there a reason out of my control

surprisingly (or not) i find most of my excuses fell in the first category - so i try not to make excuses anymore. (except for when my broker says i can't buy anything just yet).

I don't know whether I read it somewhere or came up with it myself, but I've said to people 'Look, if you complain and make excuses, you're going to find friends who feel the same way. You'll all share your experiences and you'll feel good belonging to a group that shares your views. Unfortunately, it still means you're going to be poor and have no financial security. Just because you run with a group of like-minded people doesn't mean they're not lemmings.'
Alex

IMO increasing demand is driving up the price of properties.

Investors are part of that demand.

What these whingers fail to realise is the portion of multiple property holders is only an extremely small percentage (<2%) of the overall PPOR demand.

Last edited:
What these whingers fail to realise is the portion of multiple property holders is only an extremely small percentage (<2%) of the overall PPOR demand.
Rixter,:rolleyes: that's always been the problem, people always criticize
what they don't understand and have no Patience or time to construct a solid
longterm property porfoilo.good luck willair..

I found these today that explain that it's not really our fault

Not that I thought for a second that it was.

Traditionally, in Australia, the median house price has been around three times the median household income. For example, when the median income was $10,000 per annum in the 1970s the median house price was $30,000. And when the median income was $1,000 per annum one could buy a basic house on a basic block of land for $3,000. Young couples got a start in the housing market and worked up from there.

Today, in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane, the median house price is more than six times the median income and in Sydney and Perth more than eight times. The social and economic consequences and long-term ramifications of this problem are horrendous and by and large not at all understood.

What has caused this problem and what to do about it was the impetus for the establishment of The Great Australian Dream Project.

http://www.demographia.com/

And

http://www.greataustraliandream.net.au/default.htm

BB

Excuses;
Your family doesn't need them,
Your boss doesn't care about them,
and You already know the truth.
So why make them?

So lets' just re-cap what property investors (PI's) are to blame for...

* Rising prices. Too many of 'you' forcing up demand and prices. Utilising your precious tax breaks to fund your property largesse

* Rising rentals. But not enough of you investing in the right areas, restricting the availability of rentable properties, forcing up rents whilst your greedy appeptite for increasing returns, forces the poor battlers to bid, 'auction style' for rents.

PI's, shame, shame, shame.......
(sorry for those who agree with the above, that should read Sham, Sham, Sham! :mad: )

I think a lot of mum and dad investors, being the decent sorts that they are, are reading the newspapers and feeling guilty about their greed. And no doubt getting an earful from their 'oppressed' friends. Of course, the media usually only attacks multiple IP owners (hands up, fellow Forumites!!!), but I certainly don't feel guilty about it. I saved my money and used the system to build my wealth.

The media (and oppressed, unwashed masses) are attacking those who feel no guilt about their actions (multiple IP owners) and side-swiping those (mum and dad I'll own one IP for my retirement types) who probably wouldn't have invested if they saw this much social pressure. Irony at its best.

In a related story, the Herald (and the Australian, I think) ran articles this weekend about some big study showing how those who own shares and property are better off (their definition) than people who don't.

Why is that such a surprise? We're a capitalistic society. Why wouldn't the people who 'own' the assets have more of the wealth? The only difference between now and say 100 years ago is that property is more fragmented. So 100 years it was more the Rockefellers vs everyone else, but now it's the rich v the sort of rich v the upper middle class v the middle class v the lower middle class v the battlers v the poor. There's a lot more competition.
Alex

* Rising prices. Too many of 'you' forcing up demand and prices. Utilising your precious tax breaks to fund your property largesse

* Rising rentals. But not enough of you investing in the right areas, restricting the availability of rentable properties, forcing up rents whilst your greedy appeptite for increasing returns, forces the poor battlers to bid, 'auction style' for rents.

PI's, shame, shame, shame.......
(sorry for those who agree with the above, that should read Sham, Sham, Sham! :mad: )

Ain't it terrible, Buzz? We just play the system and suck the battlers dry. Anyone else feel guilty? Jeeves, get me a glass of battler juice, chilled, with a dash of greed, please!
Alex

I wanna play too... :p

G'day Alex,
Alexlee said:
We just play the system and suck the battlers dry
And THIS is how we do it:-
Buzzlightyear said:
Rising prices. Too many of 'you' forcing up demand and prices.
Yep, we do this by endeavouring to buy properties at LOWER prices than most. :eek: So HOW is this helping rising prices? Hmm, yep, maybe we fuel "demand" but we are often "last cab off the rank..." All those OO's want to pay more than us.
Buzzlightyear said:
Utilising your precious tax breaks to fund your property largesse
We can only do this because we paid Tax in the first place. It's not "Other Peoples Money" coming back to us - just our own overpaid taxes. Can't be all bad, can it?

Buzzlightyear said:
* Rising rentals. But not enough of you investing in the right areas, restricting the availability of rentable properties
Why DO rents rise? Not enough rental properties is a good guess. Are you SURE you want Investors to stop buying? (Think about it - the Govt. tried this back in 1985 - it was NOT pretty)

But wait, it is "area specific" now is it?
not enough of you investing in the right areas
Maybe that was because Investors were priced out of the "usual" markets (too many greedy Owner Occupiers buying up all the good stuff - they pay more, so guess what?) That didn't leave so much for us poor Investors to grab, did it? It's in the wrong area? Why don't you move then. I can do you a good deal on rents :D

:p It's just amazing how differently WE think compared to the average newspaper reporter, isn't it....

Regards,

The average reporter (who probably doesn't own property and rents, by the way) wants to write sharp, punchy articles that appeal to as many people as possible. It's just far easier to present only one side of the argument and dehumanise the other side. Makes those nasty ambiguities disappear.

Ah well. They do what they do. We do what we do. Bleatings of 'unfair' won't help them stave off foreclosure. We'll be happily living wherever we want.

If it's a choice between my own goals and being accepted by the moral majority (especially given the level of intelligence and the utter immaturity of the moral majority), guess which one I'm going to choose? I don't see it as screwing battlers. Deliberately screwing battlers would assume I actually have any emotion towards them. 'They' doth rate themselves too highly, methinks.
Alex

Investors are the culprits this week
Government the next or perhaps Reserve bank interest rate hikes

They can set endless lists of who to blame, and attribute it to countless numbers of people

Sure blame us, and keep blaming us but COMPLETE the story if we are to blame:
We ARE the providing the roof over their heads.
Rents hadn't risen for quite a few years and we still had to SERVICE the loans during those years (only recently have we seen a strong favourable movement.)
and when we come to retirement age...We WONT be living of pension handouts as we all have vision for the future and are prepared to work to becoming self sufficient.

What are their plans for the future:

Keeping blaming, keep the pension money and keep renting
and SELL the "News"

Last edited:
One word to people who say that: anwaddayagunnadoaboudit?

They can make all the excuses they want. In the future, they're still going to be renting and making excuses. A thin layer of moral outrage isn't going to pay for the retirement.
Alex

Hi,

I believe that we all are responsible for making things happen ourselves. We are all using the opportunities that come our way (and we seek out) to our best advantage. Perhaps these people don't have the drive/will/knowledge to invest or purchase property. I spose from our point of view its just as well everybody isn't investing in property, or we would have to look for different ways to achieve our goals. I believe even if this happened, enough of us on this forum are 'creative' and have the drive to look for other avenues to create wealth! :)

Regards Jason.

hi all
interesting that this tread should come after the damage at karratha, port hedland because I was up there about 11 months ago now
I went there to build stronger housing, so that they would have buildings that would take the force of about double what hit the other day
I was up there for 5 days and met a couple of people off this forum.
the funny part if you can call it that
is when people ask you what you do for a job and I told them a developer and I got the same answer as is in this post
that it was my fault that pricing in karratha( which I had only set foot in 2hrs before) was my fault.
I tried to explain that the buildings that they were living in were transported in and so was expensive and so was labour
well what did I get for giving this valuable piece of information??.
kicked out of the pub.
I drove to onslow( you may know where it is now as it took the brunt and it about to be hit by jason) and they only have one pub and the landlord said that I should say I was with the an oil company or I will be out of that pub as well.
the donga's that are there are very similar to a tin shed
with 10 reverse cycle air cond bolted to the side of the shed( a big shed but a shed all the same)
what I proposed was a full concrete insulated, full constructed house with one air con,
not for cooling in summer but to heat in winter, big difference.

investing is a mind set thing,
people think because you make money from real estate that you can in some way control pricing this is not the case,
pricing is driven by one thing and one thing alone
and thats supply and demand
and as with the case with karratha if there is no were to build
the price goes up and if the demand goes up then the price goes up again.
it is not as easy as release more land, what needs to happen is release or rezone land in areas that have high demand
I don't want to get on my high horse but I have never seen any of the nsw allocation of construction on the councils.
saying that there is demand for say burwood so we require to have rezoning there as there is no land release possible.
you will never educate people to invest who don't want to invest
you will never be able to get the guys in the pub in karratha to understand that its not the developers that is the problem or that they need to secure there finances.
so for me I try to find another pub, sit down drink my beer and watch them go by knowing that these are the same people, when you end up going for a beer at the local rsl, when you have hit your time line that say
"if I had only met you 10 years ago, I would be secure like you".
well I am looking forward to that, because I will say,
"you did meet me or some one like me but you couldn't understand or didn't want to see us, you stuck your head in the sand".
harsh but true
and I would say over 50% fall into this group so we are out numbered,
my .002

Back