"It's just a washing machine"

RE,
Is this home detainee able to work from home?

As a side topic, I just read your investing on a low income in your "signature" and I liked it. I think it would be very useful for many people.

I personally think we should focus prison on protecting society, and where people are not a "danger", we should make much better use of home detention or weekend detention for small time and white collar crims. Far too many young aboriginals/ lower class people are in prison, for minor crimes

Hmmm, I think minor crime is what you read about in the paper. Serious crime is when it happens to you.

We just had multiple incidents at our shopping centre involving someone just released on parole....one of the types Kathryn spoke about....about 1/3 of the way through his sentence for assault and rape.

Went into the supermarket, allegedly started stealing products, confronted by staff to put the products back and leave the store. Naturally his response was to not comply, allegedly threw the products everywhere and then allegedly proceeded to allegedly punch the male staff member in the face until he fell down, where upon he allegedly proceeded to allegedly kick him in the head repeatedly. Other staff came to his assistance and they got allegedly punched as well.

Shouting and screaming, blood everywhere, allegedly stock smashed all up and down the aisle. Not a good look and sound for the other law abiding customers.

Police were called to attend by the manager.

The alleged offender then went outside to his car, allegedly retrieved a golf club (a 3 iron) and allegedly went back into the store to allegedly carry on the fight.

He allegedly whacked 3 female staff members and 1 customer around the ribs and waist with the club, all resulting in screaming, hollering and bad bruising.

Police still not there yet.

He then allegedly went out into the mall, allegedly smacked another old man sitting on the bench supposedly because he was white. He then allegedly assaulted with his fists two more people in the mall, before allegedly heading into the chemist, whereupon he was immediately told to leave. He allegedly pulled over two displays spreading the contents everywhere.

He then allegedly proceeded to the newsagency, and allegedly stole 3 magazines. Female attendent confronted him and she was allegedly slapped around the face and shoulders for her troubles. He then allegedly threw the magazines into the mall, went outside, took the club and allegedly smashed the main window of the newsagency.

Finally....at this point the police showed up, 5 officers in 3 patrol cars and arrested him.....allegedly.

That was Saturday afternoon at 4pm.

By Monday at 10am he was released from custody, back at the shopping centre allegedly harrassing people again.

Police called again.

I think prisons should be primarily for people who are dangerous, and who have committed a serious crime. I guess it would be a challenge to find the "cut off" point. But the current "law and order" put them in prison approach really doesnt work.

Yes, it is a real challenge. The police called it a minor incident, nothing out of the ordinary.

Well, I beg to differ, and the numerous people assaulted and their families would disagree....and so would the business people who have to mop up the damage caused. Blood on the floor, teeth everywhere, hospital visits, insurance policies dusted off to replace the glass, reputations tarnished.

To all of them, it was a major serious problem. It gets lost in the stats, people who aren't affected say "so what" ??

If he had of been still locked up, none of that would of happened. The employee would still have his teeth, the women wouldn't all have large bruises, the old man wouldn't be sore and sorry for himself for being at the wrong spot at the wrong time and the shop retailers would have been able to go home on a pleasant note, rather than be traumatised.

The Police tell me it was nothing compared to what he has done in the past, and they are tossing up whether to add a few lines items to his already extensive rap sheet that runs to 8 pages.

To them it's all very ho-hum. I doubt the limp wristed magistrate and courts will put him away. He'll have every excuse under the sun and his lawyer will bring up whatever s/he can to get him off.

Revolving door joke.

Dazz, reading your post reminded me forcefully why I detest the use in the newspapers and on telly of the word "allegedly".

They never quite seem to get it right. Reporting about the "alledged" offender makes sense if they are not wanting to be seen to be pointing the finger or creating a "trial by newspaper", but to say that there was "allegedly blood in the aisles" when everybody can see the blood is just silly.

I cringe when I see how newspapers use the word "allegedly" so I laughed at how many times you could fit it into your story.

Apart from that, someone "allegedly" needs to give that man an "allegedly" good kicking. Bit of his own "alleged" medicine might improve him... couldn't "allegedly" hurt, surely.

To them it's all very ho-hum. I doubt the limp wristed magistrate and courts will put him away. He'll have every excuse under the sun and his lawyer will bring up whatever s/he can to get him off.

Revolving door joke.

If you had full CCTV footage to confront the court with it may be a custodial sentence if it unfolded as described. Your insurers would love you as well to reduce bogus slip and fall claims!

Dazz,
Thank you for that story.It brings goosebumps to my arms just reading it.
I cannot imagine the fear these victims and witnesses will need to live with.

Your story is a great example, of what I am trying so hard to get across to some of the "bleeding heart" do-gooders here.

Yes, it is a real challenge. The police called it a minor incident, nothing out of the ordinary.

Well, I beg to differ, and the numerous people assaulted and their families would disagree....and so would the business people who have to mop up the damage caused. Blood on the floor, teeth everywhere, hospital visits, insurance policies dusted off to replace the glass, reputations tarnished.

To all of them, it was a major serious problem. It gets lost in the stats, people who aren't affected say "so what" ??

I would agree with you.. it sounds like a serious crime to me... allegedly

as someone else suggested, do you have CCTV to prove the extent of the crime?

I would also be looking at civil/ personal injury claims against him......

I would agree with you.. it sounds like a serious crime to me... allegedly

as someone else suggested, do you have CCTV to prove the extent of the crime?

I would also be looking at civil/ personal injury claims against him......

Even with CCTV footage the results would probably have been the same - sounds like there was plenty of evidence from what Dazz said.

The WA system sounds much like the SA one. Only rarely do the public hear how quickly prisoners are released on Home Detention, or that conditions are very frequently broken with no consequence.

Many a prisoner who has committed an atrocious crime, has been released within weeks or months.

The only time you hear about it is when the prisoner holds some public interest (99% don't).

penny, in regards to rehab, I think research should be conducted by following and monitoring offenders over many years, both on the inside and out, and by comparing history, personality traits and 'diagnosis'.

Some prisoners with personality disorders can't be rehabilitated, as they sabotage attempts both in and out of prison (they also fool people into thinking they're changing when they haven't for personal gain).

Many repeat offenders have these ingrained personality problems to starts with.

Last edited:
If you had full CCTV footage to confront the court with it may be a custodial sentence if it unfolded as described.

Yes there is CCTV footage. Yes there are multiple witnesses, over a dozen.

Those words "may" and "if" are all it takes to get off.

I have no confidence whatsoever in anything that a magistrate "may" decide to do....they are all left wing bleeding hearts given what they hand down - it's pathetic.

I wouldn't waste my time with any of it. The criminal legal system is a farce from the top to the bottom in our State.

Dazz,
Thank you for that story.It brings goosebumps to my arms just reading it.
I cannot imagine the fear these victims and witnesses will need to live with.

Your story is a great example, of what I am trying so hard to get across to some of the "bleeding heart" do-gooders here.

Only because your solution don't work, if they did we'd be all over them.

You're not the first peron to sugget Draconian meaures a a solution, they're not unique idea, we've heard them all before.

Do you know where the term Draconian came from ?

Newspapers have to say 'alleged' because nothing has been proven beyond reasonable doubt. Surely we don't want another Chamberlain case where everyone 'knew' she was guilty?

Get off your high horse kathryn. I am no limp-wristed, left-wing latte-sipping hippie but nothing in life, nor in law, is ever so simple.

when you have been on the receiving end of antisocial/criminal behavior it colours your opinion on the issue.

the personal losses, shock and sense of no longer feeling safe is profound.

the so called justice system moves at a snail pace. we were told the safety of the public is not paramount, the rehabilitation of the offender is?

but it seems there is no real rehab, and some are not ever going to change anyway.

at least when/if they are locked up it gives some respite to the community from their behavior.

it seems these days we are at the mercy of all sorts. once people with special needs were treated and housed. now its all out in the so called community to free range and do as they please. regardless of behavior, or social consequences.
the only people facing and dealing with the consequences are those on the receiving end.

Yes there is CCTV footage. Yes there are multiple witnesses, over a dozen.

Those words "may" and "if" are all it takes to get off.

I have no confidence whatsoever in anything that a magistrate "may" decide to do....they are all left wing bleeding hearts given what they hand down - it's pathetic.

I wouldn't waste my time with any of it. The criminal legal system is a farce from the top to the bottom in our State.

I can't speak for WA but I find it difficult to believe your assertion that if there are a dozen or so witnesses, plus CCTV footage, that this person will 'get off' for the actions you said he has committed. Even Justice Kirby would have jailed this guy for a long long time, and he's as far left as you can get.

Only because your solution don't work, if they did we'd be all over them.

You're not the first peron to sugget Draconian meaures a a solution, they're not unique idea, we've heard them all before.

Do you know where the term Draconian came from ?

Hmmm...let me think...Draconia :p

Yes, it is so harsh to want to keep a criminal in jail to serve their complete sentence.
Guilty as charged.

Newspapers have to say 'alleged' because nothing has been proven beyond reasonable doubt. Surely we don't want another Chamberlain case where everyone 'knew' she was guilty?

Get off your high horse kathryn. I am no limp-wristed, left-wing latte-sipping hippie but nothing in life, nor in law, is ever so simple.

Did I call you a bleeding heart do-gooder?
No, but that must be how you view yourself?

Hmmm..dingo was just a scapegoat.
He should sue her for slander.

She was never found innocent.

Only good part, she at least served part of her sentence.

Latte's in the left queue.

Hmmm...let me think...Draconia :p

Yes, it is so harsh to want to keep a criminal in jail to serve their complete sentence.Guilty as charged.

This is not all you'e suggeted.

And it's, quite obviously, not all that I was referring to.

Dracon was a man who implemented what we now call "draconian" type measures. Didn't solve the problem then either unfortunately.

Did I call you a bleeding heart do-gooder?
No, but that must be how you view yourself?

Hmmm..dingo was just a scapegoat.
He should sue her for slander.

She was never found innocent.

I do not view myself as a do-gooder, far from it actually. I do, however, despise ignorance, which you seem to have in spades. You should re-educate yourself on how our legal system works. There is no such thing as being 'proven innocent'. You are either 'guilty' or 'not guilty' - but you should never have to go through the process of serving time for something that was never proven. Having your conviction quashed or even monetary compensation is not an adequate remedy.

Sure, I agree. But prisons are not businesses. Same as public hospitals, which cost even more than prisons to run.
If you went to hospital, and came out sicker, after half completing the treatment prescribed by the doctor, reviewed and revised by non medically qualified left wing latte sippers[sup]1[/sup], would you assume the hospital is well run too?

why shouldnt government enterprise, be an enterprise,
its mine, yours, Jaycee's (happy you stayed), we all pay for it, why shouldnt it run well
why don't we insist on best return on investment

dumb down the schools, sicken the hospitals, open the prisons,
give digital tv cash to dumbasses​
Poor Fellow - my Country

The Australia as I grew up in:
The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thinks he is a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
The shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

The Australia I grow old in:
The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thinks he is a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.
Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
The shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate like him are cold and starving.
The ABC and Channel 9 show up to provide live coverage of the shivering grasshopper, with cuts to a video of the ant in his comfortable warm home with a table filled with food.
Australians are stunned that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so while others have plenty.
The Democrats, the Greens and the Coalition Against Poverty demonstrate in front of the ant's house.
The ABC, interrupting an Aboriginal cultural festival special from North Queensland with breaking news, broadcasts them singing "We Shall Overcome."
Bob Brown rants in an interview with Yana Went that the ant has gotten rich off the backs of grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair share."
In response to polls, the Labor Government drafts the Economic Equity and Grasshopper Anti-Discrimination Act, retroactive to the beginning of the summer. And the LNP quickly passes it through the Senate.
The ant's taxes are reassessed and he is also fined for failing to hire grasshoppers as helpers.
Without enough money to pay the fine and his newly imposed retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.
The ant moves to Asia, and starts a successful Agribiz company.
The TV stations later show the now fat grasshopper finishing up the last of the ant's food though Spring is still months away, while the government owned house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he hadn't maintained it.
Inadequate government funding is blamed, Kim Beasley now is appointed to head a commission of enquiry that will cost $10,000,000.
The grasshopper is soon dead of a drug overdose, the Sydney Morning Herald blames it on obvious failure of government to address the root causes of despair arising from social inequity.
The abandoned house is taken over by a gang of immigrant spiders, praised by the government for enriching Australia's multicultural diversity, who promptly terrorize the community.
Who says we do not live in a democracy?
quote acknowleged

Last edited:
I do not view myself as a do-gooder, far from it actually. I do, however, despise ignorance, which you seem to have in spades. You should re-educate yourself on how our legal system works. There is no such thing as being 'proven innocent'. You are either 'guilty' or 'not guilty' - but you should never have to go through the process of serving time for something that was never proven. Having your conviction quashed or even monetary compensation is not an adequate remedy.

I do know how your system works..very similar to Canada.
If my memory is correct, she was initially found guilty by her peers?

Just because she was released, doesn't make her innocent.

Jaycee,
I make no apologies for my desire to have criminals away from society. As long as they aren't physically tortured, I don't give them a second thought. They should not be attempted to be rehabilitated...it doesn't work in the majority of the cases. The few who do want to turn their life around, let them pay for their own education/courses.

I do know how your system works..very similar to Canada.
If my memory is correct, she was initially found guilty by her peers?

Just because she was released, doesn't make her innocent.

Jaycee,
I make no apologies for my desire to have criminals away from society. As long as they aren't physically tortured, I don't give them a second thought. They should not be attempted to be rehabilitated...it doesn't work in the majority of the cases. The few who do want to turn their life around, let them pay for their own education/courses.

kathryn, I've not asked you to apologise for anything. Only thing Iv'e asked is that you not insult and ridicule and make open accusations in a rude & mocking way about others simply beacuse they don't agree with you.

I honestly do not think you're suggetions would work. They are not new ideas to get enthused about, they are the same thing that pop into most people's minds the moment they hear something that "shocks" them.

But unfortunately, they don't actually work.

I don't know what exactly what to replace what we have now with which will fix the problems society has now exactly, but that doesn't mean your ideas, like building separate prisons for paedophiles (?) will work.

Last edited:
Back