It's more than a box

Um, quick check;

He started the thread, and asked all of us participating forumites (not just the ones who agree with him) to participate in the discussion.

I'll remind you of the opening post in case you forgot:

Simply a vehicle for creating wealth?

I answered it.

Then this:

This really sounds to me like he has a problem with anyone who does it to make money and not necessarily to have a higher emotional or community spirited purpose.

Then the attack began:

You say it wasn't directed at me, but it was directed at anyone who is of the same mindset; thus me as well. It was a backhanded shot, and that's fine.

So, that's what it's got to do with me. You can both put me on ignore anytime you like if you don't like what I have to say.

My final word is this; you both have no idea what I'm like. To look at PI as a business with little emotion does not make anyone heartless.
We recently let a tenant out of his lease early and without having to pay the full month's rent because he was in financial difficulty and had ill health on top of this; do I score some badly needed points for that one? :D

I believe yes you do get brownie points.

I think Rockstarr was saying something that stood out for him, but doesn;t for you - that there is a compassionate part to this buisness if you want take it that way... Some people in buisness love training young apprentices and see that as a contribution that they are part o fin their buseinss as well as utrning ov er product sales and making end of year profit, surely it's nt a bad thinkg for the employer to feel that way.. Other employers might think of that as no big deal, just part of buisness like buiying postage stamps.......

So what ?

Some people like and think about those little acts, like you peformed, more than other people do.. So what ? ?

And some people go on about being certain that they will never do anything like you suggested you did in your last paragraph - you obviously don't fit that mould, so what are you so worked up about ?

Take it easy man, no one is out to get you nor trying to expose what we think of you (where the hell did you come up with that outburst lol ?)

Last edited:
No, I am not Gen Y, my dear myopic friend. I am just avoiding vacancies, spurious maintenance aggravation and rental payment delinquency by recognising social reality. If I show them a little non-monetary appreciation they will will generally do likewise. And, get this, they do! I both self-manage and have PMs by the way, and have seen it from the inside of an R/E agency.

You know the definition of lazy? Bad PMs. (I've got good ones myself, but worked briefly in the same office as very bad ones.) So your PM angle is just as fraught as your 'contract-determinant' angle. Both leave you open to bad relations (even if you're personally involved or not), and no smart business person - let alone community member - wouldn't cleverly avoid that.

I couldn't have said it better myself! So I won't even try. Just want to second Belbo's first paragraph in particular.

Let's drop it guys. Like I said, making assumptions from written statements is fraught with danger. What we think, what we write, and what is interpreted by the reader can be totally different. I had no intention to blame or cause any harm but, reading it back, can see how it could. I shall be more careful in future when debating such topics. ;)

Back