It's oddly amusing to think....

...that when I joined SS in July 2003 the economics part of the forum was, in many ways, the poor relation to other areas. I distinctly remember that there wasn't even 100 threads in the entire economics sub-area and getting any sort of discussion going was very difficult (there was only a small number of willing / interested posters).

Fast forward 5 and a bit years and the economics forum is like a rave that is going 24/7/365.

There's over 1100 threads and of the top 30 all time threads (by posts), 26 have been posted on since the start of last year.

The amusing bit being that no-one wanted to talk about the economy when things were hunky dory, but now things are decidedly less bouyant it seems to be everyone's favourite topic of conversation.

Last edited:
because you can't escape it, especially when there are 2 very distinct crowds and trains of thought.... one to ignore, the other to embrace....

Thats a good point its not a thread I looked at very often but now it is very important and relevant to all of us and its also very educational, some of these discussions are amazing - who knew the people on here probably have more answers than those supposedly in the know!

I am in awe of some of the people on here.

...that when I joined SS in July 2003 the economics part of the forum was, in many ways, the poor relation to other areas. I distinctly remember that there wasn't even 100 threads in the entire economics sub-area and getting any sort of discussion going was very difficult (there was only a small number of willing / interested posters).

Fast forward 5 and a bit years and the economics forum is like a rave that is going 24/7/365.

There's over 1100 threads and of the top 30 all time threads (by posts), 26 have been posted on since the start of last year.

The amusing bit being that no-one wanted to talk about the economy when things were hunky dory, but now things are decidedly less bouyant it seems to be everyone's favourite topic of conversation.

Some people attribute their successes to their experience and "Skills" they learn as you go along,while others blame external events outside their control. 5 years ago i could not even spell the word "Economics",but the more i read the less i understand,funny part 5 years ago it was all in the where to buy now it's all about "Surival"..willair..

LOL Willair you may be able to spell economics but you can't spell survival.

All good mate. I can spell but I don't have a quarter of your knowledge.

...that when I joined SS in July 2003 the economics part of the forum was, in many ways, the poor relation to other areas. .

Yeah, good one Mark, and your right too.

Even funnier? What about all the great discussions we've had about peak oil, the food crisis, climate change/global warming, etc. All a little irrelevant right now eh?

See ya's.

Too right mate!

Even now you have a lot of people on this forum who bury their head in the sand in terms of the broader economics.

From my perspective....the economic indicators are great way to see the trends over the longer term.

For example.....one could see far back as 3 months ago the FHOG would lift the low end of the market. Not it is in the press....yet there are still people saying that this rise in low end is fluke! Go figure....

My problem with current discussions on the economy is that it has become as polarised as discussions on religion or politics. We are now seeing extreme points of view with the "world is about to end" D&Gs and the "mother of all booms" bulls both yelling at each other across a room of bewildered onlookers who think the whole thing is just a bit silly really and just want to get on and try and make some money.

If it gets much worse I may well have to make economics another taboo topic :rolleyes:

My problem with current discussions on the economy is that it has become as polarised as discussions on religion or politics. We are now seeing extreme points of view with the "world is about to end" D&Gs and the "mother of all booms" bulls both yelling at each other across a room of bewildered onlookers who think the whole thing is just a bit silly really and just want to get on and try and make some money.

If it gets much worse I may well have to make economics another taboo topic :rolleyes:

Or maybe you could ban those posters who rant and rave on either point of view from participating in the economics forum.
I used to find the information posted within the property market economics quite useful as a historical guide as to whats happening.

There are two posters who are just 'rubishing' the board.

Or maybe you could ban those posters who rant and rave on either point of view from participating in the economics forum.
I used to find the information posted within the property market economics quite useful as a historical guide as to whats happening.

There are two posters who are just 'rubishing' the board.

Quick, bun fight on the other side. :D

the surprise for me with this crunch is how it has hit me in ways I didn't anticipate. Just as I guess the fire victims always thought they could drive off or douse themselves with water - what happens in a crisis can surprise and overcome you.

I feel like I am wrestling with the economy and it is tiring. Am confident of making it thru and with any luck I can take advantage of some of the incredible offerings it has thrown up.... but will carry battle scars at the very least.

Sim,

With all the respect - why you are allowing D&G here at all? If world is going to end - what is the point of investing? What they possibly can contribute here?

I wish to draw your attention to the fact that most of them joined after sharemarket crash, and they have clear aim - to scare people off property.
Look at their posts - it is undisguised share spruiking. They cherish the hope to arrest share market collapse by their propaganda and pare their losses .

Second class of D&G are pennyless vultures who hope to stock up on cheap property and cast the spells for property to crash.

Look at see-change's poll - two thirds of people here do not believe in property. They are mesmerised by brainwashing.

And I will be damned if I understand why you are so sympathetic to that tumor that killing this forum.

I think I am doing you a favour conducting excorcism sessions here.

And excuse me , but you have lost ownership of this website. You are being used as a tool for weeding up the opposition of D&G - and this is not only my opinion.

And couple of questions -

are you employed by Somersoft? If yes - how does your policy od breastfeeding D&G sits with the objectives of your employer?

Who do I talk to about buying this website?

I think I am doing you a favour conducting excorcism sessions here.

Funnily enough, I try and respect people's right to have an alternative opinion about things. Not everyone who is negative about property right now is a doom-and-gloomer.

I actually take bigger issue with what I refer to as "crusaders". By this I mean people who take it up on themselves to "right the wrongs", or to "educate the ignorant masses", or who just like the sound of their own voice.

I'm afraid you fall squarely into that category. We've had a few crusaders on the forum in the past and they all exhibit very similar behaviour to what you are showing now (and the same indignation when challenged).

As far as dealing with D&Gers - I've lost count of the number of people I've banned for trolling over the past 6 months - most of them are D&G's who are clearly here for one purpose only. This is one of the reasons I've made attempts to completely remove all references to certain other websites from this forum - I will not tolerate trolling. But as I said, having an alternative point of view does not automatically make someone a troll.

I'm generally prepared to allow most people to post if they seem to be genuinely interested in making money through investing in real estate - and provided that they respect the rules of the site and respect the other members of this forum.

I prefer to give people I'm not sure about the benefit of the doubt and give them time to prove themselves as wanting to be a valuable member of this community. On occasions I have sent a "please explain" message to some members and in several cases I have been quite happy with the response and took no further action.

Look at see-change's poll - two thirds of people here do not believe in property. They are mesmerised by brainwashing.

Again this shows your tunnel vision and oblivion to opinions other than your own .

All that relects is that most people on this forum are not convinced the market in general is about to move NOW.

Nothing to do with belief in property as an investment. It has every thing to do with timing .

I'm a strong believer in timing. When I see people like Gee Cee ( who has been investing successfully for around four cycles ) dubious as to whether now is the time to buy , I'm know I'm listening to an opinon worth listening too.

What's your track record Essence.

Cliff

Sim,

Whilst, I agree I don't like the so called "crusaders"....a balance needs to be achieved....sometimes property is more than numbers...things like market psychology, economics, etc needs to be discussed.

What I don't like is "smart a$&e" comments from some people. A particular member who is heavily into commercila property comes to mind. These are far more disruptive some occaisional "mad" person with extreme views.

In my view the ability to learn...is strong suite..but the question is whether one comes with an open mind. I have been in the forum now for over 5 years....I started with only 4 properties....I would not have gotten well into double digits in property if I closed my mind to what some of the people who I did not agree with.

I actually take bigger issue with what I refer to as "crusaders". By this I mean people who take it up on themselves to "right the wrongs", or to "educate the ignorant masses", or who just like the sound of their own voice.

I think you do a fantastic job and it is sad that a few people use the forum as their playground to get into some childish arguments, its very easy to get sucked in and actually can be quite entertaining watching them go but it must be a bit weird for people coming across the forum for the first time they must think we are all mental!

Trouble is with making topics taboo these guys are already across several topics so we might end up with nothing left! It is interesting though if you take out the personal and 'I am mightier than thou' stuff and digest different viewpoints.

I still reckon starting a new topic and making the more unsavoury posters use it would be an idea and then people can choose not to look at it, just give it a suitable name like 'I am right and you are wrong and don't know what you are talking about thread!'

Funnily enough, I try and respect people's right to have an alternative opinion about things. Not everyone who is negative about property right now is a doom-and-gloomer.

I'm afraid you fall squarely into that category. We've had a few crusaders on the forum in the past and they all exhibit very similar behaviour to what you are showing now (and the same indignation when challenged).

As far as dealing with D&Gers - I've lost count of the number of people I've banned for trolling over the past 6 months - most of them are D&G's who are clearly here for one purpose only. This is one of the reasons I've made attempts to completely remove all references to certain other websites from this forum - I will not tolerate trolling. But as I said, having an alternative point of view does not automatically make someone a troll.

I'm generally prepared to allow most people to post if they seem to be genuinely interested in making money through investing in real estate - and provided that they respect the rules of the site and respect the other members of this forum.

I prefer to give people I'm not sure about the benefit of the doubt and give them time to prove themselves as wanting to be a valuable member of this community. On occasions I have sent a "please explain" message to some members and in several cases I have been quite happy with the response and took no further action.

Thanks Sim,

Yes, I deliberately bashing some people who are trying to bash me. But, as I stated - my blanket policy is never to comment on personalities - only criticise what people are doing. And if people were not doing wrong things - we would not have jails, would we?

Identically, people are doing wrong things in PI too. And I do not know if it is really nice towards the person to allow them to stick to their delusions.
I do not see anything wrong with kicking rookie by the stock of the gun to save him from the bullet. He will yell and complain at first, then he will understand.

And I am sorry to point out that again - if people asking genuine questions - I answer them to my best ability. But how can anyone to express their opinion here if you get straight away surrounded by D&G from all sides.

And frankly, if this forum allowed to work like a dog's pack - I have no problem to get the place in the hierarchy. For that I do not need a mommy with a "Close" button - I can deal with people who challenge me myself.

And I do not mind being called names, yelled by red letters, insulted - I want it. It shows everybody how weak and immature your opponents are.

But it is kind of unfair to use your "Delete" and "Close" weapons - even if it towards my opponents. Please let kids have their fun. I will handle them myself.

And it also puts you into an awkward position - people are not idiots and they see that someone came, cowardly defecated onto my thread - and you closed it. I would be surprised if those youngsters employing these foul tactics for the first time. It is threat to your integrity to take side of people who don't have it.

Ok, take it easy.

I do not see anything wrong with kicking rookie by the stock of the gun to save him from the bullet. He will yell and complain at first, then he will understand.

... which is essentially saying "I reserve the right to be a complete *** because it goes without saying that I am right and they are wrong".

There is a reason some newbies are scared to post - it's because some of our members feel the need to "kick the rookie".

For that I do not need a mommy with a "Close" button - I can deal with people who challenge me myself.

You still don't get it do you ?

I'm not protecting you from them - I'm protecting everyone else from you and the few others who are all causing so much noise at the moment.

...a balance needs to be achieved....sometimes property is more than numbers...things like market psychology, economics, etc needs to be discussed.

I agree completely - which is why I argued to have those topics set up in the first place.

I wasn't serious about making economics a taboo topic - but I may end up making it off limits for some of our members if they can't pull their heads in a bit.

Back