It's official, we're happier,healthier & more content in harder economic times

My old boss use to say a country and it's people are much better off during harder times . He said life was easier , things were cheaper and there was a lot less stress.
This guy was a very successful multi millionaire, he built Melbourne Hi Rise, so when he spoke , you thought!
He also reckoned Governments would always be in debt , don't worry about it because it only means they're are spending our taxes on us and that's what they're spose to do with our money . Well that part I've always understood and agreed with . A surplus to me only means they're hording "my'' money with cut backs , exactly what Costello did .

Well , it's official , they've done stats .
Now we're not talking deep recessions here , just slow economies as apposed to boom times .
They reckon people are twice as stressed during boom times , work longer hours to pay much higher prices on everything or keeping up with new work coming in. Buying more junk food, alcohol , not seeing their family as much and when they do, it's under much more stress, governments start hoarding our money rather than spending it on us trying to boost a slower economy .
Where as during harder times people don't work as much , eat or drink as much crap , their workloads a lot less , things are much simpler , much cheaper and interest rates and house prices, mortgages are much more manageable. They're home a lot more and as long as they're coping ok they are actually at a much better peace and much happier than in boom times. Plus , governments actually spend our money on us trying to boost economies and that's what they're suppose to spend it on. And that statistically speaking, though out history countries and their people have always wound up paying the price after the fact anyway from boom times .

So there ya go, it's all something I've often wondered about since those days back at that job and now living through this last mega boom of our country over this last 10 yrs. Seeing the consequences , prices , OS stuff that's now going down after theirs of the same. The huge changes in our country, it's people , mentality , prices, the world in fact and the possibilities of where we're headed next .
Then you have the mortgages ordinary people could now be left holding the bag with .
As compared to the 17% days , which was when I bought my very first property, right smack in the middle of it , this last 10 has been and still is very very hard stuff unless your one of the lucky ones that came out on top.
And don't forget , that fat lady hasn't sung yet and we really have no idea just what the song will be as yet , that could be a few yrs away.

Food for thought , well for me anyway.

Cheers

He also reckoned Governments would always be in debt , don't worry about it because it only means they're are spending our taxes on us and that's what they're spose to do with our money . Well that part I've always understood and agreed with . A surplus to me only means they're hording "my'' money with cut backs , exactly what Costello did .

While your old boss may have done well financially, he doesn't sounds too smart.
The alternative view may be that the government was saving for a raining day, not spending like drunken sailors. Which is why Australia is now in a better position than the rest of the world.

Spending on useful things, and wasting the taxes, are two completely different things. Just wait until you pay more taxes eventually, to pay for all the government waste of tax revenue the past 5yrs. But I'm sure you wealthy friend does not have to worry, as he's probably got some "legal" tax minimisation going.

They reckon people are twice as stressed during boom times , work longer hours to pay much higher prices on everything or keeping up with new work coming in. Buying more junk food, alcohol , not seeing their family as much and when they do, it's under much more stress

In case you haven't noticed, prices are still going up, on electricity, rates, food, etc. So not sure where your getting your stats from, but I would say people are more stressed now out of a boom currently, working longer to pay more.

Mate , it was a rainy day. Have you no idea where your own property prices would have gone last year if they didn't chip in when they did. You might find out from here on , no one knows !
Yeah there has been waste ,too much too quickly but as far as I'm concerned they can spend as much as they like on hospitals and schools or making some nice roads for me to drive on even if some does go West.
My boss was a self made man , just like my dad , and I often see in places like these that the average has no conception what so ever of just what that takes or entails. I grew up with it , day in, day out and these guys know their stuff from experience , no gurus or forums, they've done the hard yard and created everything they are from nothing . I have much respect for anyone self made/created and I've lived through what it takes.

Statts were an ABC radio docco from studies over 3o yrs.

Power bills and the like , yep they're just going for it . No good reason other than the fact that they know damn well the average Aussie's just too over whelmed at the moment to kick up too much - it's just the good old Aussie typical money grabbing window ways they spot and ride to the bank these days - just as the banks have been doing with us too. There's no justification for any of it as yet .
But at the end of the day , if things slow down and a families buy their home for 150k cheaper than 4 yrs ago , that's a much bigger gain for them that lasts 30yrs.

There are sales everywhere this year to rival boxing day sales yet pre Christmas and there has been all yrs, unprecedented - houses are becoming cheaper already. Rates will need to go down again most likely in 12 mths or so.

Statts were an ABC radio docco from studies over 3o yrs.

Well then, given it's from the ABC, it must be accurate.

They reckon people are twice as stressed during boom times , work longer hours

I would argue that the situation is quite the opposite. In boom times, companies and businesses tend to hire more staff. In slow downs businesses cut back, and try and do more with less staff. So things tend to be more stressful in tougher times.

There are sales everywhere this year to rival boxing day sales yet pre Christmas and there has been all yrs, unprecedented

Agree, it's a sign that retail is in trouble, and next year we'll see unemployment rise.

Last edited:
And in 25 years..these will be the "EASY" times :)
Same as the kids now say..."Oh but is was easy is my parent's times"

Just do it now..THIS is the easy time.

One anecdotal example.

Eastern Europe, there's still nostalgia for the Soviet era believe it or not. One of the best things being that people tended to be more friendly to one another, everyone had nothing so there wasn't the envy and social and economic divides that happen now. Of course the good old times were in reality terrible, and everything shone brighter, the sky was more blue etc.. in one's youth, so take with two grains of salt :)

Still.. have read similar things about the great depression, which as far as I know wasn't referred to as such until much later.

Doubtful. Banks won't drop rates, so a reduction by the RBA would produce no potential benefit, while leaving themselves exposed to any criticisms should it not be the best move. Furthermore, keeping inflation tight > retail spending. I understand the correlation between the two, but I believe that other influences in the economy will be driving inflation.

One anecdotal example.

Eastern Europe, there's still nostalgia for the Soviet era believe it or not. One of the best things being that people tended to be more friendly to one another, everyone had nothing so there wasn't the envy and social and economic divides that happen now. Of course the good old times were in reality terrible, and everything shone brighter, the sky was more blue etc.. in one's youth, so take with two grains of salt :)

Hmmm... interesting post. My parents grew up in the Soviet Union under the commie government and they still tell me it was the best times they’ve ever had... and they are millionaires now in a capitalist society so they definitely have both perspectives covered... makes you think, does all the flashy crap get in the way of life and living? Or is it that life is always better when you are young?

Hmmm... interesting post. My parents grew up in the Soviet Union under the commie government and they still tell me it was the best times they’ve ever had... and they are millionaires now in a capitalist society so they definitely have both perspectives covered... makes you think, does all the flashy crap get in the way of life and living? Or is it that life is always better when you are young?

You wouldn't expect that would you zed? We often laugh at our best times , usually broke times. We traveled and lived pretty well on pennies for 10-12 yrs or so. Lived in tents for mths on end . No investments at home [regret that part ] money long gone but times most people couldn't imagine none the less, wouldn't swap them .
Hang on , so why am I stressing myself out trying to become a property investor, dunno ! Naa , Oz is a much more expensive place now so unfortunately you need some loot I guess.
Sex is still free too isn't it ?.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back