Jeep Cherokee

I'm thinking of trading my car for a 5 year old Jeep Cherokee diesel. Anyone know anything about these cars? Good, bad, indifferent? Will probably only put about 10,000kms on it each year. They seem quite reasonably priced @ low $20's compared to Prados, Pathfinders, etc of a similar vintage.

I wanted one. So I went for a test drive.

I couldn't get over how much it felt like driving a truck compared to my commodore wagon.

i have lusted after a red jeep wrangler soft top ever since i first saw them - er - decades ago ...

hubby thinks they are a load of stuff that is not publishable so flat out refuses to let me buy one - so, when you eventually see the 80yr old grey and wrinkly lady leap out of one, that'll be me having outlived the anti-jeep bugger :D

on another note - i pick up hubby new-ish 2009 diesel pajero tomorrow and have to drive it back from sydney. noisy bloody manual gearstick thing!

Do you mean the KJ cherokee model or one of the grand cherokees?

The jeep diesel is very unpopular and parts are harder to come by. You'll be stuck with genuine parts (and prices) in a lot of instances.

Build & ride quality isn't half as good as the japs but as you've probably indentified the price is attractive.

It's the KJ Cherokee. Could you give me some examples of parts that I'd have to go with genuine ones?

I've always snobbed this brand as it is American and have always gone Jap, but the bang for buck @ 5 years old looks hard to beat.

It's the KJ Cherokee. Could you give me some examples of parts that I'd have to go with genuine ones?

I've always snobbed this brand as it is American and have always gone Jap, but the bang for buck @ 5 years old looks hard to beat.

If it's anything like the previous model diesel XJ it will pretty much be all service parts.

I wanted one. So I went for a test drive.

I couldn't get over how much it felt like driving a truck compared to my commodore wagon.

ummmmmmmmmm, thats coz if you try and take the dunnydore on fraser island it will feel like a boat :)

Even the softer proper 4wds will be slower and trucklike compared to a 200 kw 1500 kg go kart, ya canna defeat the laws of physics :)

ta
rolf

Since Chrysler has been "owned" by Mercedes Benz" the engineering and quality control has improved a little

Th CRDI diesel technology is just one example

ta
rolf

i got myself 2005 KJ limited last january

i'm pretty happy with it.
did a drive to melbourne and back recently, quite comfortable

don't get a diesel, they can become problematic as they reach 100k
get a 3.7 petrol

economy is about 16-18 in the city and 11-12 on a highway

doesn't feel like a truck at all.

service costs are about the same as any other 6 cyl car

I had a Jeep Cherokee back in '97. It was a company car provided with the package I was on whilst living in Oman. 4.0L if I recall.

Was slow off the mark, not enough head room for me, and got woeful economy. Tank was expense to fill and didn't last long. Felt like driving a slow truck. Visibility was cr@p out of the windscreen. Seats were comfortable enough. A/C was OK.

Years later in Yemen we all had Prado's and they were heaps better.

i'll take an early 245 hemi powered cherokee, swap in a 44 dana diff, convert it to 2WD with a powerglide and valiant front end, bolt on a massive turbo and go drag racing.

oh sorry....you mean to drive. no, don't bother.

I thought the Wranglers looked fun and might be the way to go.

Until I read a review and found that they are fair to average off roaders and downright woeful for suburban driving. A mate who'd bought one (and then sold it) confirmed it for me.

Given the rarity of my off road driving I figured it would be a dumb purchase on my part.

I think there is a reason why they are so much cheaper than the Jap equivalent.

I also read that Jeeps have one of the worst breakdown history of recent new cars - wish I could remember where I saw that one.

I thought the Wranglers looked fun and might be the way to go.

Until I read a review and found that they are fair to average off roaders and downright woeful for suburban driving. A mate who'd bought one (and then sold it) confirmed it for me.

oh - i know that. not totally ignorant :D ... just love the look.

have you seen the "car yard for women" with a sign pointing to blue cars and a sign pointing to red cars"? i can't find it but maybe someone has it on file.

personally, i much prefer the prado as well (quieter, smoother) - and tried to convience hubby to buy one of those, but failed ... :eek:

I'm looking at the Land Rover Freelander. looks good enough to tow my tinnie up the Daintree and comfortable enough for the Lady's city driving.

Any experience out there?

I'm looking at the Land Rover Freelander. looks good enough to tow my tinnie up the Daintree and comfortable enough for the Lady's city driving.

I had a Deisel very first gen Freelander.

Loved the car, it was great to drive, very slow off the mark and topped out at 110KM unless you were willing to thrash it. Cost bugger all to run. Problems started and then kept comming. There was a known issue of the transfer box had the wrong ratio gears in it so the car started to litterally jump and bounch when reversing once the baring finally died, problem was this was a totally sealed unit so you had to replace the whole transfer box to fix a stuffed baring. so $2000 to fix a $1 baring.

I got rid of it. I miss it but do not miss the prices they wanted to charge for servicing.

I've read of a myriad of reliability problems with the first generation. Work mate bought one new a few years back and complained that it was one problem after another. Apparently the second generation is much more reliable.

Bugger! The XTrail is just too high geared for towing off the bitumen so I'm back to buying an older Prado and keeping the Honda.

Back