John Fitzgerald Model

Hi all

I have revisited the JF book 7 steps to wealth. I still find it hard to see it working in the current enviroment.

Generally without going into the type of property etc. The model is to buy a Residential Property every 1-2 years.
Ist property (approx figures)
Lets use a $200000@ 90% lend
loan 180000
Deposit 20000
costs 10000
MI 4000

Total 214000

assuming as he indicates average 7% growth after 1st year that is
value on 1st property .....214000

assuming same value house
Now to buy 2nd property at 90%
loan 192000
deposit 22000
costs 10000
MI 40000

Total 228000

now this formula is supposed to go on at one a year for 10 years. I just cannot see it. With all the variables that come into play.

Interest rates
rent
Property Management
Landlord costs
insurances

most likely these properties are negatively geared.

This appears high risk even though its sold as a low risk strategy.

Any comments?

Cheers
BC

The book was written at a time when yields were higher than what they are now.

At current yields, serviceability wouldn't allow to buy that quickly.

In the current environment, adding value through a small renovation may help make the numbers work.

In my opinion, negative gearing requires appropriate timing to be worthwhile. What's the point of holding negatively geared property during a slump or a flat market?

Cheers,

What follows is, in his own words, John Fitzgerald's blueprint for building wealth through property.

It doesn't sound very exciting, and it isn't for everybody, but then what one way to build wealth is?

If there is 1 way to make a fortune in property, there is 1001 ways!

That aside, looking at what he says I believe that it is all prudent advice and it is hard to see how anybody following his plan over an extended period of time (ie. years) would not accumulate significant property assets.

But as I said, it isn't for everyone.

In many ways it is consistent with Jan Somers' philosophy.

Slow, steady and pretty close to bullet proof.

Mark

John Fitzgerald's 7 Steps to Wealth

1. Buy Land for Capital Growth

Land appreciates; buildings depreciate

Bricks and mortar do go up in price - but the increase is usually a mirage created by inflation. True capital growth only comes from land: that's the commodity with limited supply and increasing demand. When property values are split to show the two components - the land and the building - the picture is clear:

The higher the land content, the greater the capital growth.

People starting out with limited capital and borrowings can't afford to buy land only: they need a dwelling to generate income (from rent) to offset their outgoings.

About 34% of Australian investors buy units. But land content forms less than 15% of the purchase price - and to secure significant and sustainable capital growth, you need at least 30% land content. Houses and duplexes usually fall into this category: townhouses, only within 7km of a CBD.

Lesson 1: don't fall for the unit trap! Look for at least 30% land content.

2. Optimise Your Income

Almost all Australians have rented a home at some stage. About 30 per cent of people are currently renting. And the number of people renting homes continues to increase - despite a few urban myths. Wealth Builders buy property that appeals to the rental market, to ensure a secure and growing source of income.

Some tips for optimising income:

- Buy property in areas where jobs and population are increasing. These are the primary factors that underpin rental demand.

- Ask several real estate agents how many rental properties on their books are vacant: this is the area's rental vacancy rate. Look for a vacancy rate of 3% or less.

- Buy property which will allow you to charge affordable rent. Calculate rent at about 30% average weekly income - and then charge $10 a week less! Tenants will be easier to find (no income-idle vacancy) and will often show their appreciation with a hassle-free tenancy.

- Buy houses or duplexes rather than units. Most tenants prefer individual dwellings - and in some areas, units can remain untenanted twice as long as houses!

- Look for areas with less than 35% rental properties. Owner-occupiers tend to buy in such areas,enhancing demand for the property when it is time to sell. (And meanwhile, there's less competition for tenants...)

- Employ a professional property manager to find and manage your tenants.

3. Maximise Tax Benefits

Negative gearing describes how the costs of maintaining and financing an investment property can be offset against the income earned from renting it. If a shortfall results, the amount can be deducted from personal income.

Landlords can also claim various deductions - including interest on the mortgage.

The deduction that makes the biggest difference, though, is depreciation. Investors buying rental properties built after July 1985 can claim depreciation of the building, fixtures and fittings.

The maths can be complicated, but the effect is very encouraging... Investors buying a new property, borrowing 90 per cent of the purchase price at seven per cent (interest only) and receiving rental income, can increase their net income!

Getting the tax man to contribute to your outlays - while your equity grows...

4. Finance to Build [your portfolio]

One of the reasons property stacks up so well against shares - apart from performance - is the ability to leverage your investment. Most banks regard residential real estate as prime security, against which some will lend up to 95% of the property's value. (Shares: 60%...) So with the same amount of capital, you can get a property asset worth almost three times the equivalent value in shares!

Property investors can use other people's money to build wealth!

To use leverage to advantage, find a loan provider who will:

- Lend 90 per cent of the property value.

- Disclose the security value of the property prior to purchase

- Take 80% of the projected rental income into account when assessing the investor's ability to repay the loan.

Investors can rely on property to increase in value. When the value of one property has increased by 10-15%, the equity can be used to buy another property. Again. And again - for the beauty of compound growth. Find a loan provider who understands this!

These requirements may disqualify the big four banks - but the finance market is very competitive. Shop around to find a mortgage provider who will support your wealth building plans.

5. Aim for Affordability

Would-be wealth builders get excited about land appreciation - for capital growth - and building depreciation - for tax benefits. They get even more excited about building wealth with other people's money! But many investors are put off by the dreaded 'real estate cycle'.

You hear about people losing money on property bought during a real estate boom - followed by a slump... But you can easily avoid this pitfall. Simply set an upper limit on the price you are prepared to pay for a property, which is affordable for the average employed person. Market fluctuations have little effect on this type of property.

Lenders indirectly control the price of property by deciding how much they will lend: most accept that up to 35% of a borrower's income can be used to repay a mortgage.

Property that meets the market is the best investment

Don't buy property when prices rise above the average income earner's ability to pay. Wait until after peak prices have been reached - and buy when the market drops ('counter-cyclical' buying) for greater growth potential

6. Make Time Work for You

Wealth Building requires a long term acquisition plan. Use your capital growth to accumulate a property portfolio - and hang on to it! This is the way to responsible investment, managed risk and secure returns. Call it: 'get rich slow'...

Few Australian investors trade successfully in the property market. The costs of buying, selling and adding value often eat up the profits...

The key to wealth building is to buy - and HOLD while the value of your assets grows.

If you need to sell, you can: that's just good exit strategy. But there are alternatives...

7. Be All You Can Be

Wealth Building is not just about money. For many people, it is about a secure retirement, a great family lifestyle and financial freedom. But it is also about responsibility.

There are very few wealthy people in the world. Ideally, those who create, control and enjoy wealth should help those who don't. At Custodian Wealth Builders, we take this responsibility seriously by striving to use our wealth to benefit fellow Australians - and educating and supporting others in doing the same.

The Custodian Wealth Builders Group is the principal benefactor of the Toogoolawa Children's Homes Foundation. Toogoolawa ('a place in the heart') provides residential care and educational opportunity for youth at risk.

We want to build up communities, as well as assets. To invest in lives, as well as in property. To reap passion and purpose, as well as financial returns.

bonecrusher said:
Hi all

I have revisited the JF book 7 steps to wealth. I still find it hard to see it working in the current enviroment.
BC

I think JF agrees:
"Don't buy property when prices rise above the average income earner's ability to pay. Wait until after peak prices have been reached - and buy when the market drops ('counter-cyclical' buying) for greater growth potential."

In the past couple of years, they have had developments in WA, recognising that Qld etc had peaked.

His approach is not for everyone (which one is?).
His market seems to be more passive investors (initially), who need some "system" to guide them and that don't have the knowledge/time/inclination to do it all themselves.

BTW I have met John a few times. He seems to be a very genuine guy.

GarryK

OSS

Pretty much, yes.

How do you recycle your deposit in a stagnant or declining market?

But just because JF's model works better during upturns in the property cycle (funny that!), doesnt mean that it doesn't work.

He never says that his way is a quick way - "get rich slow" - as he says.

But there's another problem that hasn't been explicity highlighted by this thread, but that does exist.

For those that feel they missed out in the largesse of the last boom, anything that talks of getting rich slow does little to mitigate their feeling of opportunity lost.

Property investors make (lots of) profits after all.

And it's human nature to ask "where's my share?".

Mark

ps. Never met the man, but my guess has always been that JF is one of the good guys, like GarryK says.

Last edited:
but there is nothing to say that you cant slightly modify his program to suit yourself and your situation.
maybe the first three props might be every 2 years.
putting a certain amount away every mth, so that when it comes time to buy the next prop, you might have half in cash (saved) and the other half comes from equity built in the first couple of props.
over 2 years, you might be able to save up $10,000 and take out $10,000 from each prop you have.

cheers
Ryan

bonecrusher said:
Hi all

Generally without going into the type of property etc. The model is to buy a Residential Property every 1-2 years.
Ist property (approx figures)
Lets use a $200000@ 90% lend
loan 180000
Deposit 20000
costs 10000
MI 4000

Total 214000

assuming as he indicates average 7% growth after 1st year that is
value on 1st property .....214000

assuming same value house
Now to buy 2nd property at 90%
loan 192000
deposit 22000
costs 10000
MI 40000

Total 228000

now this formula is supposed to go on at one a year for 10 years. I just cannot see it. With all the variables that come into play.

Interest rates
rent
Property Management
Landlord costs
insurances

most likely these properties are negatively geared.

This appears high risk even though its sold as a low risk strategy.

Any comments?

Cheers
BC

BC,

Good points and well worth the mention, except you have not mentioned the other side of the equity equation that comes into play with the target market JF is working towards - People with a PPOR who either own it out right and/or have a large store of equity in it, or elsewhere.

Adding this equity store to your equation plus also taking into account serviceability, location & property type all being equal , im sure it would lend its self to a more rapid portfiolio expansion.

Im living proof with a similar Buy & Hold strategy - CGA :)

Cheers

I think JF's strategy is sound. But as with anything, you have to be a little flexible.

You might choose to use the model for it's framework, but when the market turns you might have to get creative to generate your own equity or serviceability.

JF doesn't advocate it, but one way of doing this during a flat market is to renovate your property. The end result is, ideally, an increase in your weekly rent, and an increase in your equity.
Whether or not this is enough to allow you to continue to invest depends on alot of things, but I think flat market or rising market, renovation is a good option if you don't want to sit and wait for values to increase over time.

This is something that is lacking I think from most property investment books... most are "here's what works for me".
But I think that's fine too, it's up to us as investors to use that information to our advantage... not to follow like sheep.

The books that were bought out by all the property gurus are one reason why property prices got to the overvalued levels they did. All the strategys work in a rising market. After the top though?

Garry K's point is good,...

JF makes it clear that there are limits to his system.

Also of note, got an E mail yesterday from a share investing news letter trying to get my dollars. One of the testimonials was from a Steve McKnight, well known property investor, telling of his success in the sharemarket in the last 6 months from using this share investing news letter. Sign of the times perhaps?

See ya's.

he advocates single residential homes although the marketing company he is tied up with has said that they will start moving away from this in future. I have to wonder if the mantra of single residential homes is a thing of the past... the composition of the market has changed permanently suchthat there has never been so many single occupancy households. I dont know if it can be argued that houses will outperform villas and townhouses?

I would guess that the reason that they are moving away from residential homes is that it is getting harder for a builder to buy a large enough parcel of land to build a lot of houses on. It is much easier to find land to build units on.

Demand for units may be on the rise, however my guess is that houses will keep outperforming units, simply due the supply factor. Supply of units can keep increasing with fewer constraints than houses.

Cheers,

topcropper said:
Also of note, got an E mail yesterday from a share investing news letter trying to get my dollars. One of the testimonials was from a Steve McKnight, well known property investor, telling of his success in the sharemarket in the last 6 months from using this share investing news letter. Sign of the times perhaps?

See ya's.

It's hard to get excited about property when prices are flat at best in most capitals, isn't it. It's definitely a sign of the times. The sharemarket is now receiving more attention. Until property yields improve, I don't expect much to happen to property prices (except in WA).

I'm not sure that a share investing news letter is the answer though... If these guys are so great, why don't they trade quietly themselves from their own insights?

Cheers,

topcropper said:
The books that were bought out by all the property gurus are one reason why property prices got to the overvalued levels they did. All the strategys work in a rising market. After the top though?

Garry K's point is good,...

JF makes it clear that there are limits to his system.

See ya's.

Hi Topcropper

I think Steve McKnight has been using that particular company for a while now, I know he was definetly using it when it was still known as MM not IFP ;)

I think he has his eggs in a few baskets

REDWING

G'day housekeeper.

I could be wrong, but I think getting a share investing newsletter going is a licence to print money.

Years ago I subscibed to a well known newsletter, run by a flambouyant man. He would put a buy on a company, and straight away, the price jumped as all his subscribers piled in. Same, but in reverse, when he put on a sell. Of course, he was set before he called the buy, and sold before he called the sell. Can't loose.

He was busted at one stage selling his shares after he told his subscibers to buy. You would think that would finish off his newsletter, but it didn't.

I didn't like being a lemming, and didn't do well from the recomendations.

Actually, I'm sure that running a share investing newsletter is a licence to print money.

See ya's.

Ausprop said:
he advocates single residential homes although the marketing company he is tied up with has said that they will start moving away from this in future. I have to wonder if the mantra of single residential homes is a thing of the past... the composition of the market has changed permanently suchthat there has never been so many single occupancy households. I dont know if it can be argued that houses will outperform villas and townhouses?
Dear Ausprop,

1. Which is the latest marketing company representing John FritzGerald and his JLF in Perth, which you are referring to?

2. What is this marketing compnay saying then?

3. Care to further elaborate, please?

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

topcropper said:
G'day housekeeper.

I could be wrong, but I think getting a share investing newsletter going is a licence to print money.

Years ago I subscibed to a well known newsletter, run by a flambouyant man. He would put a buy on a company, and straight away, the price jumped as all his subscribers piled in. Same, but in reverse, when he put on a sell. Of course, he was set before he called the buy, and sold before he called the sell. Can't loose.

He was busted at one stage selling his shares after he told his subscibers to buy. You would think that would finish off his newsletter, but it didn't.

I didn't like being a lemming, and didn't do well from the recomendations.

Actually, I'm sure that running a share investing newsletter is a licence to print money.

See ya's.
Dear TopCropper,

1. Well said.

2. I also know of investors operating informally as part of the share investing sydnicate. To make the sydnicate/story look credible initially, the share tips given was quite accurate initially and as more small investors began to trust the leader/tips... Guess what happened, ultimately?;- The big fish ultimately finishes all the small fishes/small investors who were "deliberately" allowed to make $100,000 profit initially through the tips sharing and eventually, resulting many of the small investors losing more than $200,000 ultimately, if they are not prudent/careful enough to run away with the profits and to leave same syndicate at the appropiate time.

3. On hindsight, as part of the Syndicate's deliberate game plan, the leader was actually patiently and intentionally tempting/feeding/baiting on the small investors' greed, to make his one-off BIG money, at the small investors' expense at the his own chosen timing.

4. Thus, the lesson that I have learnt is it is always better to trust ourselves and invest our own monies wisely and knowingly, rather than to trust someone esle, who may seemingly appear to be an expert ( but one whom we do not actually know him well enough), to entrust him to invest on our behalf, with all our hard earned monies.

5. Hence the importance of investment education and and neccessity of conducting our own independant due diligence before we invest our monies each time.

6. For your kiund update, please.

7. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Kennethkohsg said:
Dear Ausprop,

1. Which is the latest marketing company representing John FritzGerald and his JLF in Perth, which you are referring to?

2. What is this marketing compnay saying then?

3. Care to further elaborate, please?

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Kenneth,

1 - the company is Custodian Wealth Builders

2 - they are saying that as normal residential blocks become more scarce you ahve to get realistic, hence they will start to look at units etc that have x% (30 i think it is) land value

3 - that pretty much covers it. the marketing companies obviously need to make a decent sales commission so they can only sell what they get paid to sell. Is no different to Mega Investments in that respect.. it's no secret. Because commissions are paid it doesn't make it a bad product.

4 - I find the conclusion of these wealth building seminars that ends with "give to charity, we give x amount each year, it's part of the circle of love and by the way did we mention we are nice guys?" a little condescending. Charity should come from the heart of the individual.

Back