Jury Duty - Sydney

While I found it quite interesting, I did find it very frustrating, as most of the jurors were aged pensioners, and could not comprehend how a 'decent' woman could possibly enjoy some of the described bedroom antics. If those same jurors were alive today, they would be well into their 90's.

Back in the UK one of the cases I was a juror for involved an affray in a rough South London pub. The publican took the stand and seemed an honest decent hardworking sort who should not have had to put up with the alleged incident. Then it came out he was an ex-wrestler with a conviction for GBH and kept an iron bar under the counter ... I was completely out of my depth with fellow jurors explaining to me the norms of such places. Now had I been assigned to a nice tax case I would been OK.

If you're self employed, being called for jury service is a real bind. What you get paid may reflect what the average person earns, but you may well have overheads that are as much again. During my two weeks I was stood down at around 1100 on several days, but not knowing this in advance couldn't make appointments etc. What I was able to do was to ask for a deferment to immediately after Christmas (winter in UK of course), a quiet time, and this is what happened. Thankfully I didn't get called again.

Got off this time.

Had a letter drafted requesting the employee to be excused for employment reasons.
Together with a phone call, got the job done, even though they wouldn't even discuss the matter with me at first.

Bumping this almost 10 year old thread.

Any tips on getting excused, one of our employees called up for a 4 week trial.
Being a small biz, we heavily rely on our few employees to operate.
It seems quite difficult to get excused without specific medical or other pre-determined reason.

How do other small businesses handle these situations?

When my husband had his business he basically advised that he was not able to attend due to business commitments, had to supervise staff this sort of thing, anyway, worked fine, he was excused, some years ago now.

Also, just because you have been selected for jury duty does not mean you will be picked. End up spending a day in the courts ... waiting, waiting to see if you are selected

Am told when selecting they look for certain professions ie teachers, public servants, seen as safe I think??

Am told when selecting they look for certain professions ie teachers, public servants, seen as safe I think??

The last time I was called up,every time they would call out my name and start walking towards the man with the bible just about to put my hand on it someone would say :rolleyes:no next,,,it was a murder case husband killed the wife then took a whole lot of pills but he woke up,even had my best clothes on with a rmw country tie..

The annoying thing when you don't get picked is that you get called again (up to 3 times). You sit there all day for nothing.
My first time it was a 3-4 week trial and I said I couldn't be away that long.
Then i got selected. It was a drug case. Interesting but frustrating. It seems the average person is not very bright. :rolleyes:

Second round I got through and names were drawn out of a hat. It was a dance teacher who was being charged with multiple sexual abuse of young girls in his care. :eek: My name wasn't called out.

it's strange how some people get called up for 2-3 rounds while others never get called.
Teachers seem to get called a lot (maybe it just seems that way as I know lots of teachers?)

I wouldn't mind doing another one.

Back