Just a sweet little story

Hi

When I got home today and checked the mail there was a letter for my daughter from the property manager.

'Here' says me 'You better open this, it will be about letting the property'

'Oh' she said 'Well there's no use opening it, I don't have the money to pay them'

'?' says me

So she opens it. Can you imagine her expression so see her very first rental cheque?

Watching her face as she made sense of the statement, saw that the rent was paid one month in advance, less the letting fee, and she still was sent a cheque for $180!!

Suddenly, this property investing made a bit more sense!

For an 18 year old who has saved the deposit from her weekend shifts in the local supermarket, this was a milestone.

Just wanted to share the moment

Kristine

Hi Kristine,
Actually do you know all your stories are sweet little stories? Must admit i think i like reading your posts the most & there are plenty of posts i enjoy reading.
Keep on posting & love to hear the latest on Mrtyle cottage, the ex-apprentice & the sub-division for the medical practice.

Regards Tony
PS. Maybe some of the stories aren't so little either :D

Originally posted by Kristine..
Hi

For an 18 year old who has saved the deposit from her weekend shifts in the local supermarket, this was a milestone.

Kristine

Fantastic,

what a great start in life, it's not we we leave for our children, once we're gone that's important, It's what we teach them to do by positive examples that really will make the difference in their lives.

Congrats Kristine, successful property investor, good mother and most importantly, GREAT TEACHER.........(oh I forgot, great storyteller as well ).

Kristine, you will now be known as "Hans Kristine Anderson"

regards

Well done Kristine!!!

And well done to your daughter as well! Most 18yo's I know would rather be spending their money on drink or cars...

What a great start to adulthood. We'll keep our eyes peeled for this future tycoon!

Hehe - wot they said ......

And Jakk, I love the "Hans Kristine Anderson" one.... ;)

Great story,

Regards,

Now that this has been 'bumped' up, just a little follow up ...

We were all still there, working under lights laying pavers in the courtyard the night before, when I discovered that the venetian blind, so carefully cleaned, wouldn't fit back in place because the new windows had timber reveals which narrowed the gap!

So rushed off to Spotlight to buy a rod, fittings, and metres of terylene to bunch up for some privacy from the windows next door. Mike (husband) staggered off home about 10.30pm, bent double with an aching back, to cut the rod to size, and I stayed to finish the painting and load stuff into the trailer.

Back by 7.30am on moving-in day, to find the property manager doing the inspection report (devotion to duty). Did the rod fit? No, Mike hadn't left enough space to lift it past the thickness of the plastic fittings. Thank heavens for mobile phones - he arrived looking decidedly worse for wear about twenty minutes later to saw 5mm off the rod, meanwhile I've emptied everything out of the house into the courtyard and am frantically vacuuming.

Tenants' relatives arrive with first load of things about 9am, are blown away by the new kitchen, new carpets etc, tenants arrive 'Do you mind if we look around?' they say 'You live here!' replies me, and shows them everything, including (fanfare) the new toilet seat!

By 12.30pm I've washed windows, cleared and hosed the courtyard, and rang the doorbell to say 'I've finished, but don't talk about me, 'cos I haven't gone yet', go back out to wash dirt off garden equipment, load and secure trailer (this trailer is my nemesis), then mix mortar and go and squat in front garden to plug hole in wall made when new kitchen waste was punched through.

Tenants' first visitors arrive to find me kneeling in the dirt, leaning against the wall, trying to force sloppy mortar upwards into the hole 'Yes, I come with the place, I'm the garden gnome' says I, gratefully accepting coffee from neighbour (how come everybody is so nice to me?)

Finally, daughter phones 'Mum, what do you want me to do', and arrives shortly after with chocolate, movie tickets and 'Welcome' card for tenants.

1.15pm I finally do the last check, move the wheelie bin into position, say goodbye to everyone and go home for breakfast.

Next day, feel at a loose end.

From go to whoa in about four weeks, everything ran smoothly apart from a few exciting moments, the place is in first class condition and just beautiful (gorgeous ovum lightfitting in loungeroom [that's a girl joke], stylish courtyard [bought an axe and moved the tree fern], crack hot paint job, new carpet, kitchen, vanity, three new windows, hand scrubbed & polished floors etc).

Oh, well

Medical Centre goes to Auction 17th July www.teskacarson.com.au search: Auctions
Myrtle Cottage goes to Auction 19th July www.realestate.com.au Property: 1778052
Sub-division goes to Auction 19th July (not on web yet, www.hoskins.com.au))

Have hired 30 cubic metre bin to clear medical centre house and yard, including weeding & pruning the whole 760msq block, demolishing outbuildings, miscellaneous fencing, numerous large (5m) shrubs, hedges, bushes and old wire fencing, battens to remove from outside walls, K'archering of whole building to do, carpets to clear out, mould to remove from bathroom, everything to wash and polish, plus some final weeding and finishing off at Myrtle ...

Great!

AND

I get to wear a check shirt and stomp about in long, wet grass and write out lots of cheques

What more could a girl want? This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

cheers

Kristine

Back