Karratha or Gladstone

lets not get carried away.... expecting 17% as a minimum could lead to disappointment. there are many resons why karratha is what it is

+1

Why is it that people think every mining opportunity in australia can stand toe to toe with karratha or PH. Gladstone is like boddington(WA). Its just to close to major, non island towns to have any real effect.

Sure a 10% gain in a couple years is possible. But gladstone woudnt come anywhere near to PH or Karratha. Maybe thats a good thing

If we are going to play the comparison game you forgot the following for Gladstone:
* Queensland Alumina Limited (QAL) – one of the largest alumina refineries in the world;
* Boyne Smelters Limited (BSL) – Australia’s largest aluminium smelter;
* Cement Australia (CA) – Australia’s largest manufacturer and distributor of cement;
* Orica Australia – the world’s largest industrial grade ammonium nitrate plant, a world scale sodium cyanide plant and a chloralkali plant
* Rio Tinto Alcan Yarwun – Alumina Refinery – the world’s first greenfield alumina refinery to be constructed since 1985

It also has a university campus, farming and other industry in the area. It is not totally reliant on LNG either. Gladstone Port currently exports 79 million tonnes per annum vs Dampier at 82 million tonnes. Gladstone is the 5th largest coal port in the world.

LNG projects:

The Australia Pacific LNG plant $7.7 billion - will create 10,000 jobs alone for Gladstone http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au...sed-35m-lng-plant-to-create-up-to-18600-jobs/

BG Group recently signed Australia's largest LNG deal, for $60 billion, creating a further 5,000 jobs during construction in Gladstone - $8 billion cost.

Santos GLNG $7.7 billion - 3000 peak jobs

Gladstone LNG $1 billion - 120 jobs

Shell Australia LNG cost TBC - 2500 to 3000 jobs

Southern Cross LNG cost TBC - 300 jobs

Project Sun LNG $1.5 billion - 400 jobs

In total over 20,000 direct jobs, just from LNG construction not to mention the support industries required. The flow on effect in the economy will be huge.

For a town of 40,000, where will they house an extra 20,000+ LNG construction workers all earning over $100k p.a.? There are currently 200 houses for rent in Gladstone.

Future developments (non LNG) still to come also in the next 3-4 years:
* Gladstone Pacific Nickel $5 billion project - 2300 jobs
* Gladstone Port expansion $1.3 billion - 500 jobs
* Boulder Steel $1.4 billion - 1500 jobs
* Balaclava Island Coal $1.5 billion - 800 jobs
* Queensland rail $500 million - 350 jobs
* Gladstone water board $320 million - 400 jobs
* Arrow energy pipeline $480 million - 300+ jobs

So there we have another 6000+ employees required.

Including partners and children we are talking about doubling the population of Gladstone in the next few years.

The growth that has been seen in Karratha is still to come in Gladstone. There is no way that construction can keep up with demand for housing and we are starting from a much much lower cost base of just $350k.

Karratha's explosion in median house prices from $350k to $780k happened in just 2.5 years from mid 2005 to end of 2007. There is no reason Gladstone couldn't experience similar growth, as the same factors are present in Gladstone now as were in Karratha then. http://www.pdc.wa.gov.au/media/33605/karratha housing and land snapshot june 2008.pdf

Your dreaming if think Gladstone can hold a candle to Karratha. Have you even been to Karratha?

The list you noted is tiny in comparison to the TOTAL activity of North WA. Wouldnt even scratch the surface if you wanted to show net cost of projects in WA etc.

Gladstone just does not have the restrictions at all to support the figures you are hoping for. You will make some coin no doubt. But you need to do further DD on Karratha to truely understand how these numbers came to be.

You could put all the activity of WA in Gladstone and it still wouldnt touch Port H.

Theres more to realestate prices then just activity

Thanks for all the information/ opinions,,, their seems to arguments for both karratha and gladstone.. hmmmm so if i go to Karratha i chew all my available assets , if i go to gladstone i will have enougth left to buy somewere else.
Karratha land is at a premium due to the fact it is locked up with native title,, so it drives the price up
Gladstone can grow and grow so it may not reach the hights of karratha but will still prob be a good investment....
This is going to do my head inn:eek:

Best of luck B40!

Gladstone will make money. But so will the surrounding towns. From what i can see, you will have many options. A shame Karratha doesnt have such qualities. Then again thats coming from someone(me) on the outside, lookin in.

Thanks for all the information/ opinions,,, their seems to arguments for both karratha and gladstone.. hmmmm so if i go to Karratha i chew all my available assets , if i go to gladstone i will have enougth left to buy somewere else.
Karratha land is at a premium due to the fact it is locked up with native title,, so it drives the price up
Gladstone can grow and grow so it may not reach the hights of karratha but will still prob be a good investment....
This is going to do my head inn:eek:

There's a lot of land releases in KARRATHA that have come on line recently though isn't there?

Lots of building activity from what I've seen

Makes me wonder how an older run down (but highly priced) $800k house on $2,000 p/wk rent will stand up as all these new properties and developments come on-line :confused:

Hi Redwing
that's one reason I am holding off Karratha/Pt Hedland/Sth Hedland, will sit and watch to see how it evolves.

It is a real concern that properties for sale do not have leases in place, this was unheard of about 6 months ago.

Also what I have discovered is that due to mining companies like FMG building for their employees (just completed 200 homes) therefore the older 3x1 homes leases are not being renewed and have noticed many of these coming on the market. Will we see an oversupply and not enough takers and prices pulling back? RE agents don't believe this will happen, I am not too sure though.

Cheers, MTR

well a 4x2 is more like $1.25m+, but i think it would apply to anything. it is cheaper to buy than rent so if a OO can buy a house without a lease it is seen as a good thing

i think y'all missing a crucial point.

1) can you buy a house in Karratha? well, it's a bit 50/50 at present
2) can you buy a house in Gladstone? yes.

considering i'm STILL waiting for a land allotment in Karrathata 18m later....well...that's 18m of CG i could have had in Gladstone for less.

I see where your coming from Aaron.

Out of interest, how much growth has Gladstone had over the last 18 months. Everytime I do a search it just does not attract me coz the yields are poor when you consider the location.... Just my thoughts on it, but if it does go BOOM I will miss out again.

Cheers, MTR

Out of interest, how much growth has Gladstone had over the last 18 months. Everytime I do a search it just does not attract me coz the yields are poor when you consider the location.... Just my thoughts on it, but if it does go BOOM I will miss out again.

Cheers, MTR

MTR,

Here is a link to the answer you may want. Not an impartial view, but some more info regardless.

http://tlcollect.com/ve/ZZ7761s96jVLZ65x731

Cheers

Rooster

Last edited:

Cheers, MTR

hi mtr,

last months negative about 10%, maybe 15%

cheers

bt

Too close to Bundy and RH to have any speedy movements in price. Im betting Gladstone will simply track Rockhampton and Bundy. Im gonna be looking in these areas. Satellites aswell.

Last edited:
Too close to Bundy and RH to have any speedy movements in price. Im betting Gladstone will simply track Rockhampton and Bundy. Im gonna looking in these areas. Satellites aswell.

Betting or wild guessing?

Bold predictions from a person who thought Gladstone was north of Geraldton just a few weeks back???

Why would you assume Gladstone would track Bundy? Demographically poles apart, as well as massive differences between the primary industries in both towns.

Satellites?

I'm more than a little confused.

Cheers

Rooster

Too close to Bundy and RH to have any speedy movements in price. Im betting Gladstone will simply track Rockhampton and Bundy. Im gonna looking in these areas. Satellites aswell.

in the 2006/2007 boom gladstone rose between 60-100% depending on what u bought, those other towns had no where near the same growth so will be interesting to see what happens this time

HI BT
hope you bought up big, that's a hell of a jump.

CHeers, MTR

i bought a few and it was nice, it has also come back 10-15% also off the peak.

interesting i bought houses but it was the cheap 2 bed units that went up 100%, i have learnt something from that and a couple of other places about buying right at bottom of market in regional boom towns, tends to have bigger upside potential and falls less when boom ends as more people can still affford to buy and or rent.

I agree with you Bigtone and Rooster. Rockhampton and Bundaberg aren't a commutable distance to Gladstone and that is where all the big projects are.

Back