Karratha or Gladstone

they are talking 'fast train' to rocky, govt plan likley to take 15 years if ever

Never closer to the truth BT!

It would be a fantastic thing for Rocky to be linked so quickly to Gladstone, considering the future growth outlined.

I also get the inkling that a lot of people would benefit by doing the hard yards on the ground, and actually get across to central queensland to have a look at the area.

Too many people measuring "as the crow flies" and assuming that somehow growth will ripple outwards. This isn't a CBD and the ripple effect isn't as evident and guaranteed.

Cheers

Rooster

Betting or wild guessing?

Bold predictions from a person who thought Gladstone was north of Geraldton just a few weeks back???

Why would you assume Gladstone would track Bundy? Demographically poles apart, as well as massive differences between the primary industries in both towns.

Satellites?

I'm more than a little confused.

Cheers

Rooster

That's because there is a place in WA called Gladstone buddy. And it's called an opinion. I have plenty. Think you might have one aswell it seems

I agree with you Bigtone and Rooster. Rockhampton and Bundaberg aren't a commutable distance to Gladstone and that is where all the big projects are.

Depends on the person. I'd certainly do it. For me it's a easy drive. And I hate driving

I was up in Rocky over the weekend and visited a mate in Gladstone. While it's an easy drive (just on an hour); why would you want to do it after a 12hr shift when for a little bit extra $ in rent you could live within 5min of work?

Living out of the major centres, people have a different perception about travel to and from work; especially when there is another option available!

Not sure what satellite towns you are talking about? Bajool (at least you'd be close to the explosives plant), Ambrose?

Yes but this thread suggests a quantum shift in rents and values. People will drive when the rents are halved for a short drive. same happened in karratah when people use to commute from wickham etc.... it has the effect of inreasing rents and values int hse towns as well. The more surrounding towns the more dilution it will have on gladstone

+1

I was just about to mention wickham since Im lookin to move there. People will drive an hour if the prices reach silly levels. So the ceiling price
for Gladstone will hit alot sooner. Who's to say temp accomodation won't be supplied onsite.

People looking to invest in Gladstone should look at boddington as a point of reference. IMO only, it's a perfect example of how being close enough to drive will impact Gladstone prices. On SEEK you'll see DIDO alot more in Job adverts then you will FIFO.

Guess you have to live in WA to understand where I'm coming from.

you have to live in WA to understand it - absolutely.

it's a whole different ball game over here.

Its taken me awhile, but i now understand the mild contempt people in the west have for those in the east. People over east really dont get how it is in the west. They have some understanding sure. But by living here, ive gained something more important. An appreciation of how things really are. Which ive found to be just as important. Something eastern folk are less understanding of, and it shows. Glad i moved here

Go the west!!:p:)

Last edited:
I heard on the radio this morning a REA advertising building blocks in Boddington in a new estate ready to go for 99k
You still wont get a lot to move there cos not much schooling, shops, entertainment medical etc etc etc

I heard on the radio this morning a REA advertising building blocks in Boddington in a new estate ready to go for 99k
You still wont get a lot to move there cos not much schooling, shops, entertainment medical etc etc etc

99K Not bad. Use to drive there for work. Accomodation is always supplied for mines workers. When theres a shutdown you can have on average 150 blokes needing a place just for the week.

Thats why i used boddies as an example. The prices have gone up sure. Its simply the fact that myself and everyone else drove there that had me tooting my awareness horn for Gladstone.

I hope those who have invested in Gladstone get the prices they are after...i just hope there not doing it for karratha like returns. Thats just wrong, and they deserve a cold water bucket over the head if so....IMO :)

I hope those who have invested in Gladstone get the prices they are after...i just hope there not doing it for karratha like returns. Thats just wrong, and they deserve a cold water bucket over the head if so....IMO :)

I have invested in Gladstone and also think Karratha like returns are highly unlikley, I do however think there will be good growth on value and rent.

Personally I think Rockhampton has some good upside too especially on bottom end units.

Cheers and good luck

BT

boddy is noteworthy, because it was touted a couple of years back as being the next karratha. every man and his dog was flogging farms to developers and carving things up

anyone have any more info/stats/predictions on Boddington????

It's a gold mine. Something that will never die in any economy. Long term prospects don't get any more solid then that. Also there's the well known fact that there's a development program in place to expand rather heavily over the next decade or so.

If you wanna secure your future beyond doubt, I would find a key position of employment @ boddington. If australias economy completely collapsed it would still be chugging along nicely i believe. Even "when" gold gets back to $900, Boddington will still be a buzzing hive of activity.

When im finished my stint in Gorgon ill be going back.

is that a reason for the housing price to "boom" though? what are the rentals like there? vacancy rates? land developments? mining contracts for the next 18 months etc

thanks for the reply...

am curious now.. would love to know more about this area

I suppose there is only one certainty when it comes to mining towns, volatility... anything can spook this market. Just look at what is happening at the mom't

My point is that when investing in this market I would make sure you have an exit plan and hopefully u have jumped in on low level.

Cheers, MTR

is that a reason for the housing price to "boom" though? what are the rentals like there? vacancy rates? land developments? mining contracts for the next 18 months etc

thanks for the reply...

am curious now.. would love to know more about this area

Google is your friend :) hope your not expecting anyone here to do your due diligence for you? Maybe call some local real-estate agents. They may give you what you demand

That's because there is a place in WA called Gladstone buddy. And it's called an opinion. I have plenty. Think you might have one aswell it seems

My post wasn't intended to be antagonistic.

I think the basis of trying to compare Karratha and Gladstone flawed and apart from resourced based growth, they are leaps and bounds apart.

I agree with Bigtone, in that i can't see Karratha growth and yields coming to fruition in Gladstone, but i definitely see good solid growth over the medium term.

I'm still interested on what you consider a satellite area of Gladstone? Calliope, Miriam Vale and Benaraby would be the closest linked towns to Gladstone i would have thought.

Calliope has seen an explosion of growth and new developments over the past 3 years and it is due to this growth and new builds that gives the misleading figures/stats.

Previously it was a sleepy back water but has changed significantly over the past few years. It still is the first area to go off the boil when things slow down in Gladstone.

Reeco, I'm assuming you weren't commuting everyday to Boddington? I agree that basing yourself in an outer lying area, where rents are cheaper, would be an acceptable compromise if you were being provided camp accommodation.

As such nothing has eventuated with a workkers camp in Gladstone after Rio Tinto scrapped their plans to have one built for the Yarwun expansion.

Cheers

Rooster

Re: WA, It's also worth mentioning that mines like NBG in Boddington, KCGM in Kalgoorlie etc have local employment policies; they like to be seen to be employing locals as well as having contractors come in and out

A lot of people travel to these locations and find local accommodation to try and improve their chances..there was a good show on Port Hedland some years back (ABC?) with workers arriving at the caravan park and looking to improve their chances of employment by being "local" or having "local accommodation" sorted anyhow

Back