Katoomba guesthouse - great value - and jet boat thrill ride

We just returned from a week at Katoomba. We love the Blue Mountains and after five nights there, we had one night in Sydney. We had our 16 year old "baby" with us and after an enjoyable week, he was a bit over looking at old things (including us :D). We had just one night in Sydney and he wanted to just chill out at the hotel we booked but I saw an advert for a jet-boat adrenaline "ride" leaving Circular Quay. He was keen, so we all decided to have a go.

I thought it worth mentioning to anybody else thinking of doing this that our hotel offered a discount (20% I think) on the ride price of $65 each. I googled and found the same ride for $29, which I booked on my iphone and had the confirmation sent via email which I accessed via the iphone. (I cannot believe how we managed without these phones. It is all so easy.)

We had a thrilling ride and got absolutely soaking wet, but it was great.

I also thought it worth mentioning the place we have stayed each time we have visited Katoomba. It is the Hotel Metropole, an original 1930s grand old guest house within spitting distance of the Katoomba station. I think we paid $399 per adult (cheaper for children) for five nights which included full cooked brekky and the usual juices, cereals and toast, plus three course dinner. It has washing machine and dryer available and that price included five days of hop on/hop off explorer bus that does Katoomba/Leura and all the attractions.

Years ago we used to stay in the old owner's quarters with three bedrooms for five of us, but for the last two visits, we had a double room (two of us), and this time a two room set-up for three of us.

For anybody looking for a good value place to stay within walking distance of everything, it is worth checking it out.

There is the Three Sisters which you can climb down and onto the first one. Lots of bush walks with lovely waterfalls. Scenic Skyway and Funicular Railway down to the old mines that are now closed, but great boards set up to read about the history. At the same place there is a large enclosed capsule to take you back up, or go back on the railway and of course, the cable car and revolving restaurant. All were very shabby 27 years ago when we first went on our honeymoon, and each time they have been updated a bit more.

The old cable car is sitting near the carpark to show what people used to climb on. I cannot believe I once got into that tiny, rickety thing, but I did :eek:.

Leura is a short bus ride away, but we have walked it more than once. Great little shops and fabulous food. There is The Edge cinema and The Carrington... so much history and gorgeous old buildings, and that is something that we love.

Of course, there is the Jenolan Caves which we also love. We've stayed at Caves House before and last time, we had a couple of nights at The Carrington.

Zig Zag railway is great but we didn't do it this time. Hydro Majestic is a gorgeous old place and Blackheath is worth a visit. We just love immersing ourselves in the cold mountain air, walking around visiting antique shops and admiring the old buildings.

We visited (again) Leuralla Toy and Doll Museum which is in the house that Doc Evatt lived in. It is a beautiful house with views over the escarpment and lovely grounds, apparently run by the Evatt family even now, and we were told they still visit and stay there (in rooms we couldn't go into).

A few trips ago, we called a real estate agent to enquire about the price for the Palais Royale. At that time it had been a bible college with 70 rooms (or something like that number). It was available for less than $1M. At the time our house was worth about $300K. We actually contemplated seeing if my brother and his wife and kids and my parents wanted to all buy this together and move in and renovate it. We didn't do it, but someone bought it and it is now back to its grandeur. $1M was pretty cheap really for such a place.

We had no trouble filling 5 days. No rushing about, just a nice slow holiday, enjoying history and beautiful old buildings and great food.

my hubby went on the jet boat ride during a work excursion. Silly man. he gets motion sickness, and its not a good look barfing during a work outing!

Govetts Leap is another good spot in the mountains.

Back