'kay...so it's been a while.

looks like i might be turning my current PPOR into an IP soon.

it's a higher end property in an area with strong demand for rentals.

i know i should immediately go out and get both a valuation AND depreciation report.

my question is about what i can make the tenant pay for, within the new resi tenants act. again - another piece of legislation that, if it were a contract, wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on..... so many holes in it.

i'm banging water and basic, every day maintenance into the lease (light bulbs, tap washers, carpet cleaning, door and window locks and garage remote replacement).

what else can i legally put in there?

cheers.

You're going to self manage?!?!? :eek:

We are thinking of moving too - further North :eek: onto bigger land. After 15yrs of not having neighbours we are about to get 50 of them. Thinking perhaps the 2.5 acre blocks by Lake Gnangara/Badgerup

my question is about what i can make the tenant pay for, within the new resi tenants act. again - another piece of legislation that, if it were a contract, wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on..... so many holes in it.

i'm banging water and basic, every day maintenance into the lease (light bulbs, tap washers, carpet cleaning, door and window locks and garage remote replacement).

what else can i legally put in there?

cheers.

Unfortunately for you, nearly nothing apart from rent and utility consumption. Its now a prescribed lease and I doubt you could write most of the above as additional clauses.

The default lease/laws aren't so bad though -its sort of a given that carpets need to be cleaned at the end, and garage remotes get replaced if they go missing etc

Invest in a good Camera and take 100's of photo's, save a copy on memory stick or disk.
Take a photocopy of all appliance manuals.
Be very fussy about the PM you use.
Write cleaning instructions for surface like plastic bath, granite, - didn't work for me but worth a try

Last edited:
There is, but they can't contradict the standard terms in the lease. You might get away with some minor maintenance stuff I suppose, but you'd be testing your luck really.

You're going to self manage?!?!? :eek:

We are thinking of moving too - further North :eek: onto bigger land. After 15yrs of not having neighbours we are about to get 50 of them. Thinking perhaps the 2.5 acre blocks by Lake Gnangara/Badgerup

What are you looking to do with the land? My parents live on 2.5acres in Ballajura, not quite as far north. Granted 90% of it is easement, but still.

What are you looking to do with the land? My parents live on 2.5acres in Ballajura, not quite as far north. Granted 90% of it is easement, but still.

Just live :) The ballajura big sites come up VERY rarely but I remember seeing one a few years ago. It would probably suit me more and be closer to the kids school in Mirrabooka

my rough comment was more related to the fact that the lake and it surrounds are used by durtboikers and the "crowd" they attract - makes for a bit of an unsafe neighbourhood.

thatbum

if the tenant wears out the remote control device or the battery needs replacing should the tenant be responsible and replace at their cost?

Thanks
Sheryn

If by what you mean by "wears out" is that it just stops working, then the owner should probably bear the cost. (fair wear and tear really)

As for batteries, if they are normal everyday batteries, then the tenant probably should just buy some new ones. (not really a maintenance issue)

Back