Kev's reno

Just thought I'd share photo's of the renovation on my PPOR. This reno is long overdue after purchasing in October 2000. Since then the building industry went bezerk and for the last 2 years we have been delayed by the sheer size of our renovation and builders preference not to be involved. Originally we intended to raise the house and renovate under but have now decided not to raise.

I bought the property for $130,000. Original price was $140k but I always negotiate again after building inspection and this time achieved a 10k reduction in price. Prior to work beginning my staff had valued it between 320-350k. By the time we started the work I'd suggest it was 300-320k. Bank did a drive by and valued it at 280k, not that it mattered as it still got the ok for the work to be done. Still unsure what price I would expect after reno. Expect to spend 120-150k.

I bought this house because it is in a cul-de-sac, backs onto a large park, has 3 bedrooms plus an office for me, a deck and holds many features such as ornate cornices and brushbox flooring which provide character. We have 2 boys, now 10 and 12, and the park was a major feature.

I have created a website for the photos as there are quite a few. The work is being done in stages with the first stage the bathroom and toilet. We have begun 2nd stage now which is concentrated upstairs on rebuilding and extending the deck, extending the kitchen, lining the walls with vj panelling and replacing all aluminium windows with double hung windows in keeping with the colonial look we prefer. The first photos are of the house when we purchased the property. Sorry but these photos are a little jumbled as I didn't take them with a digital and had the girls at work scan them for me and they were sent to me out of order but thats ok, you'll get the picture (a little pun there :D )

Photo 1 shows the bathroom, the toilet and an external photo of the right side of the house when you look from the street. Bathroom has a pink vanity, pink bath, tiny shower and terazzo floor. Toilet....well self explanatary. I'm sure it looked good back in the 60's :rolleyes:

Photo 2 is the front of the house and kitchen. The yard is overgrown, trees everywhere and still remnants of the 60's and 70's all over the place. The kitchen is a disaster, red door knobs and power points, brown kitchen, stove hardly works, little space or cupboards. The back door takes up valuable kitchen space and overall it rates up there with the worse I have seen. We have lived with it for over 4 long long years.

Photo 3 is of the bathroom again and the main bedroom. Carpet throughout the house is the original and is lime green or brown patches or red or some other horrifying colour. The inbuilt dirt and grime is disgusting. Thought of buying them a vacuum cleaner as a going away present.

Photo 4 is the main bedroom and 2cnd bedroom. Both rooms are large for the typical style of this house, which was one of it's selling features to us.

Photo 5 shows the toilet as it nears completion. It has been left unpainted for now until other work is finished. The rear steps are integral part of our overall reno plan. They will be removed and covered over to almost double the size of the kitchen. The back wall of the house will also be removed.

Photo 6 shows the bathm undergoing its reno, the 3rd bdm and rear deck. The deck has fibro sheeting floors painted brown. It is 6.4m x 4.4m in size and overlooks the park.

Website is at http://spaces.msn.com/members/House-Renovations/
Just click on Photos. You can control the process if you want or let it provide a slideshow. I'll have more photos shortly.

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

perky29 said:
I especially like that deck Kevin, its going to look great once its finished. :)

I like that view from the deck! Everything's so green! :p

Anyway, looks good Kevin! Can't wait to see the end result... :)

New brushbox floors have been layed in the family room. The aluminium windows which I hated have now been removed. Our security is in the form of a drop sheet hanging over the doorway. The french doors will be relocated.

Double hung windows are now installed along with the French doors in their new home. I'm rather nervous that the doors are being held by clamps :eek:

Deck floor has been laid. The wall and windows will be removed soon.

Next photo is a rear view shot taken from the park.

Our backyard has looked better :)

Our kitchen at this stage is a bomb site. The whole house is in turmoil. In this photo you can see our new fridge. The delivery drivers allowed 15 minutes for our delivery and it eventually took 1.5 hours. It is so big eventually, after trying the back and front steps, had to have its doors and hinges removed. As they were working out the balance of monies I had to pay the next delivery rang them. All I could hear was the driver saying "Sir, please do not use that language" :D oops

The new deck was built, extending on from our current one. The budget blew out here as it was advised to replace the whole roof across both decks. Wasn't too bad however as my neighbour is a roofer and did it for me over 2 weekends. The deck now expands 9.1m across and is 5.1m deep to the new bi-fold doors and 3.3m deep in the new section.

The bi-fold doors are now in place expanding 4 metres, made up of 5 doors. This will provide us an extensive view of the park, plus provide us a bright, light and airy internal feel.

Our backyard is not improving ;)

The best part is still to come, the moment the kitchen is tossed out over the deck into the backyard to be broken into pieces :D How we love that kitchen :rolleyes: So far everything has gone fairly smoothly and weather has been good. The bi-folds took about 4 weeks but they had suggested it may have been 6 weeks so have to be happy with that. We chose Doors Plus for the bi-folds to match the French doors we already had. The windows came from Colonial Auction supplies at Eagle Farm. The builder is a mate of mine, we look after all his rental properties. Whilst he has quoted on some aspects of the job others are done at an hourly rate.

Photos at http://spaces.msn.com/members/House-Renovations/

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Sorry Kev,
I have tried twice now to check out your photos, but each time I have gone to your link I get a picture of a camera in the centre of my screen and the computer freezes up and I have to reboot and go back to reconnecting and re logging back into the forum, must have something to do with my PC setup or something like that.

Would have really liked to check out the brush box floor as I have produced some at work and have never seen the finished product on the floor.
Bet it looks great!!

Kind Regards
John

Brizzy Boy said:
Would have really liked to check out the brush box floor as I have produced some at work and have never seen the finished product on the floor.
Bet it looks great!!

Kind Regards
John

Just for you John :)

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_x2OQMsNQ4zOt6PPDL-3ArnU8ZgGdtpbHAj7GkNf5Uw5V6ugKSXHIxW9gmw5r2Jo05wmvzqeCBHEucqvIyDwF_hLwjwuBZ5gAf0AzCLLv9EC_xVZzkNjzQF

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_x2OQMsNQ4zOr1ixJGwG2y2X5XovXcYE6oZJGHxntrcEIajg4gDqW6WnuymwOMDUtac5gfnb1f839uBlOXQwWQn-7RjR8CRIPPv6UlhKcRzmkhLdv7GFMqd

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_x2OQMsNQ4zOuYELClyFNMQxKw-fShlGYBd7qL2Jgt0rf4hqoiR844Sbmu2cFLY6eljEm-FVtAZx8MiWRCMTuVRNQc8e58nD6iM2Z_QPXaUsjppnsQNgN66

x1pNWjjkHJ3o_x2OQMsNQ4zOgvefVxuqP4JHPRjKzz1WJuodcq1vR45nui_onVLKBGxd6UGVKW75GTkhjtN_Iyx-6TP2_VrBOK1jR9YH91xzIw_UKfSP_kXdIJYr8pJPPAh

Jamie thank you muchly,
those floors, doors, and even the windows, Kev you must feel about timber the way I do!!!, just looks brilliant I can imagine the lacquer down highlighting all that beautifull rich grain.

Toni really loves the doors and windows.
Jamie thanks again

Regards
John

Hi Kev,
I also lost connection when following the link from your second post. The first link worked fine.

What are your plans for the pink bathroom?

Cheers,
Panda

Also love the deck.

Panda said:
Hi Kev,
I also lost connection when following the link from your second post. The first link worked fine.

What are your plans for the pink bathroom?

Cheers,
Panda

Also love the deck.

The bathroom is completed. We fully tiled the walls to the ceiling after taking the room completely back to the studs and starting again. One of our goals was to remove all fibro possible from the property, which was commomnly used in "wet areas" in this era. We incorporated spa also. Haven't got too many photos of it as small rooms are hard to get pics of but will arrange something.

The deck is just sensational.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/House-Renovations/

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Last edited:
I have added some more photos. Descriptions are attached to the photos.

The cabinet maker, Adrian, has done heaps of work for me in the past and never fails to produce a great result and hasn't let us down again. Each day we have an array of tradespeople here, usually it all works in well. Adrian came up with a "wow factor" which we can't wait for. We can't wait to see people's reaction when they come over and see it. So far all is going well, except the budget :eek:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/House-Renovations/

Let me know if the links don't work.

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Hi Kev,
Looking really great.

Just wondering, when you say removing all the fibro do you simply take the fibro off the walls and then replace it with plaster board? Did you do this because it looks better? Are there other reasons? Also I suppose you just throw the fibro out? I know it breaks easily.

In the case of the bathroom, what material do you put up on the walls that are suitable for tiles?

I really love the kitchen.

Panda

Panda said:
Hi Kev,
Looking really great.

Just wondering, when you say removing all the fibro do you simply take the fibro off the walls and then replace it with plaster board? Did you do this because it looks better? Are there other reasons? Also I suppose you just throw the fibro out? I know it breaks easily.

In the case of the bathroom, what material do you put up on the walls that are suitable for tiles?

I really love the kitchen.

Panda

Hi Panda, definately not re the fibro. Guys had suits on and it was placed into a special bin specifically for Fibro material and taken away. I got rid of it because primarily of the stigma surrounding fibro and resale value. Most of it was not toxic anyway.

We used plasterboard in the bathroom before tiling.

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Back