Masters flat pack kitchen.

I've just finished a Masters flat pack kitchen build and install.
I chose masters mainly because of their easy repayment terms wit HSBC. Also I found the kitchen section in the store was a bit more upto date and had a lot more accessories than Bunnings.

I've been warned off Bunnings kitchens in the past so it was between IKEA and Masters. I ruled Ikea out because of distance of store.
I was told by the local kitchen maker that this was a better quality than IKEA and Bunnings, both of which he'd been called out to help/rescue with in the past.

I was surprised to see the doors were stamped with ' Made in UK' on them and the units were 'Made in Australia'.
I found the quality of the fittings and the panels were pretty good. All solid backboards and fitted together very tight and neat.

I'm pretty handy but I'm sure someone with a modicum of common sense could handle one of these. All I used was a mallet and a cordless drill/driver. The carcases took about 10 minutes each to put together.

Very pleased with the end result. Just waiting for a local guy to fit the bench top now. Didn't want to attempt the join and maybe ruin the top.

All up cost was $3300. That's including a $350 range hood and $720 for the local benchtop. This was the basic model. With pantry doors only as I kept the old pantry. 24 month interest free.

Next reno we get it'll be a Masters kitchen. Only problem is though we're hoping to buy in Hobart and Masters haven't reached there yet!

Well done. Any photos?

I've used IKEA with no problems. Did get the bench top from masters as it was cheaper and preferred their range. First two were damaged and they had to order more in.

Dylan33
We used Bunnings and we're pretty happy 4 years on.
This is a 4 years later pick.There is some faint yellowing of the cupboards above the rangehood but we haven't taken the protective film off the cupboards so this might be why. Splashback, stone bench and appliances are not Bunnings. Would love to see your pics as I might be a Masters convert at some point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 597
Dylan33
This is a 4 years later pick.There is some faint yellowing of the cupboards above the rangehood but we haven't taken the protective film off the cupboards so this might be why.

You left the film on for 4 years?

Dylan, thanks for sharing. I am about to renovate the kitchen in our IP and I was thinking of a Flat Pack as well. You have put my mind at ease and I will now also look at Masters. I would like to see pictures of your work when you post them. My IP is in Toowoomba and I know there is a Masters there.

Hi Dylan33,
Quick question. Does Masters do a custom design for your kitchen space then flat pac it OR do you have to stick to their standard module sizes? I'd be kean to give it a go in the future if there is some freedom with the design.

Hi Dylan33,
Quick question. Does Masters do a custom design for your kitchen space then flat pac it OR do you have to stick to their standard module sizes? I'd be kean to give it a go in the future if there is some freedom with the design.

quick answer is no ,masters are a bulk supplier and custom made is out of their range

Good one Dylan!

Hi Dylan33,

You can usually get away with standard module sizes for cabinetry and then just have your bench-tops made to suit. I know that Bunnings have a custom-made bench-top service and I presume Masters do too.

One company I came across recently is http://semble.com.au. I haven't used them yet, but have spoken to one of the guys there and they have sent me a designers kit. The website is really good. You can create your kitchen and order it online - without leaving home - Bonus! They will send samples of laminate products so you're not stuck having to rely on the accuracy of the colour on your computer screen.

I think they only do laminate - as opposed to 2-pac or whatever, but they do have high gloss finishes which can look really fantastic.

For a higher quality kitchen than all laminate, you can always buy (good quality) flat-pack cabinets combined with a custom stone bench-top and nice splash-back.

quick answer is no ,masters are a bulk supplier and custom made is out of their range

I was under the impression that they were actually trialing/testing customized in multiple states, obviously via out sourcing to cabinet makers with a CNC + using their same installation mobs.

I was under the impression that they were actually trialing/testing customized in multiple states, obviously via out sourcing to cabinet makers with a CNC + using their same installation mobs.

I know the factory where masters cabinets are made ,right here in Ipswich,
if they do do a custom sized cabinet you will probably find that masters will source a smaller company to alter a standard size cabinet to suit .

Ikea has just totally replaced their kitchen range btw- something to bear in mind (both positive and negative).

Cabinet sizes have been "streamlined" (i.e. less) and they are taller now (kick board is smaller) & slightly deeper.

Dylan33
This is a 4 years later pick.There is some faint yellowing of the cupboards above the rangehood but we haven't taken the protective film off the cupboards so this might be why.

I knew Italians who had clear plastic added to the red velvet lounge... BEATIFULLLL ....

How can you correctly clean laminate with the plastic still on ?? :(

Ikea has just totally replaced their kitchen range btw- something to bear in mind (both positive and negative).

Cabinet sizes have been "streamlined" (i.e. less) and they are taller now (kick board is smaller) & slightly deeper.

Disappointing, one of the reasons I used IKEA because of the large range of sizes their cabinets came in.

We tend to stick with Bunnings because they have (or at least, they used to have) a larger range of carcass sizes - hence more flexibility.

They are so easy to put together - and I don't even use a mallet :D - driver drill is more than enough ... but sometimes one does silly things like the time I screwed all the carcass base plates on upside down - so the legs attachments were on the inside of the cupboard - doh.

The kitchens have always come up top notch and lasted longer than we've ever lived anywhere

Dylan33

Husband didn't want to take the film off! It will have to come off eventually. I may do a little peeling on the sly! They clean very easily with spray & wipe - you can't even tell the film is there as it's very thin.

Last edited:
Back