Kitchen reno's.

Hi all, so i've brought a unit and plan on doing a kitchen reno.

The current oven is ancient and looks like it's about to pack it in, so i want to replace it with something more modern. The unit however does not have gas, so i'm stuck with only electric appliances.

Should i go with a separate wall mount oven and something fancy like ceramic hotplates? or a cheaper upright stove/oven?

I don't want to over-budget but want something that looks good. The unit is so be rented out in a few months.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you avoid those cheap looking upright stoves with the little bit at the back for the controls. These are cheap, and they LOOK cheap.

You can get nice looking (lower price) free standing cookers now and they look so much better, hence a more attractive kitchen = easier to rent.

I wouldn't buy the high end cooker because tenants will not look after it like you would yourself.

Hi Bombtrack,

I'm with Wylie on this. Freestanding stove/oven combos rarely look good. Head over to an appliance clearance store, or keep an eye out for sales. I think there's one on at Camberwell Electrics at the moment. They often have good, genuine savings. Or there's an applicance clearance store on Bridge Rd. I think it's worth calling around to see what you can pick up cheaply that looks really good. Good luck.

Cheers, Medine

Hi,

If you are planning to sell, get your place revalued or do a depreciation schedule what we have found best was to use ceramic cooktop. Tennants love them, and buyers love them (compared to the cheaper looking ones).

Great tip is to go to any electrical store and ask for a builders pack.

I purchased a Technica package which composed of stainless steel, fan forced underbench oven, ceramic cook top and stainless steel rangehood which normally would sell for around $2200 for $1200.

Then when the quantitive surveyor came around to do the depreciation schedule it got valued at $2000 so it worked out well for us all around.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you every success,

Ana Stankovic
[email protected]
www.WinningFormulasForSuccess.com

With the right tools anyone can create successful results.

Back