Kitchen Sink - Square or Round

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has put a round kitchen sink into their own property and how they are finding it.

I really like the look of round sinks, but i am wondering if they are still practical.

Thanks for any help :)

I too like the look of round sinks, I do not have one, but not sure they are that practical. There is no draining board attached and the round sinks I have seen are not that big, you have to take in to account when you have a large item to wash whether it would fit in, ie baking dishes etc.

They are dead useless.

In my last kitchen reno (in USA) I took my biggest pan to the plumbing/kitchen store and bought the sink which could fit it. It was a huge single undermounted rectangular jobbydo from Franke. Fantastic.

Big and rectangular is good. Go for function, not prettiness.

hmm.. i thought as much, but i really like them. they use them on Masterchef! I have seen some quite large ones, but i guess it really comes down to the fact i am putting in a 900 oven, so the 900 oven tray is just going to be impossible to wash in my flash little sink :(

Go the normal sink. 10 years from now the round sinks will be a thing of the past due to their impracticality no doubt

hmm.. i thought as much, but i really like them. they use them on Masterchef! I have seen some quite large ones, but i guess it really comes down to the fact i am putting in a 900 oven, so the 900 oven tray is just going to be impossible to wash in my flash little sink :(

Not to mention a trying to clean couple roasting trays and large pots that wont fit in your dishwasher. I have not seen a single dish washed on Masterchef and suspected the most the round sinks are used for are draining pasta and washing spinach, while some poor bloke out the back is washing the mound of dishes :D

I agree they look great, but it you cook at all they would be a PITA.

Nards

Put a small kitchen into a house, and then tell me a round sink is useless. Its not practicle, however has anyone ever make a kitchen with 2 meters of benchtop? the sink would cover it, the round 1 makes it look normal size, yet its rounded sides dont make the bench look smaller as it isnt sectioned off....

I use them, not because their cool or practicle, just that they fit in some circumstances, if it was a normal size kitchen then itd look dicky having a round one.

yes nathan - but you don't have to use them. we're talking about practicality versus looks.

you fall onto the looks side - we users fall onto the practicality side.

round sinks - not practical.

and as mentioned - in 5-10 years they'll make the house dated, just like stainless benchtops and pink walls.

Hi Lizzie,

Yeah true true, they arent practicle, but with a 2 meter benchtop a big square one aint practicle though either??

I dont like em, I like square but see that the round have a practicle side for granny flats, units, studios etc...

Another annoying sink, is a square bottom sink these are often found in round bowls.

There is no curve to bottom so junk gets caught in the corner of the bowl....

The other wierdness I often come across with round sinks is that the faucet is often design to swing 180 degrees (for an oblong sink).

When fitted to a round sink, the faucet can swing over out of the sink area....

The Y-man

Back